It's funny how quickly Vipers change hands

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably an older guy who never test drove a viper and realized after buying it that you better know what your doing when you get behind the wheel of one of these. You wouldn't believe the amount of vipers that get turned back in by people because the car scares the Sh%&T out of them.:2tu:

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's funny you mention this. I got a few messages from No Worm last week about a car he was looking at on the West Coast which had changed hands several times within two years. With these cars, traction control and active handling come included only if the driver is equipped. If there's an error, it's between the seat and the pedals.

I always say that horsepower can be handled easily. It is the ungodly amount of TORQUE these cars put down that scares people. And let's face it, not everyone who buys a Viper is an enthusiast. Lots of people buy the cars for the looks and prestige. But going from your 4-cylinder Volvo to a Viper is a huge leap for someone who is used to just turning the key and never having to worry about traction. I figure its the same thing as people who get into cars and end up overbuilding their project car. All of a sudden their lofty goal of a 10 second street car has made it into the type of ride they weren't anticipating.

In other words, it's the sign of a good car! :2tu:

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Viper is more of an "acquired taste" than most cars when it comes to driving it. I wasn't crazy about it myself when I first got mine, but then it grew on me. This is why Vipers often get criticized by the car rags. They don't spend enough time behind the wheel to appreciate the car's unique character, so they bash it.

Many "would be" owners go through the same thing. They buy it, never having driven one before, and then don't like it right away (or it scares the crap out of them), so they immediately resell it.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper is the only car in the world w/ this kind of torque and power that is still basic. The current car market has drastically softened the average drivers capabilities. The Viper's "throwback" driving experience combined w/ 500 plus hp is NOT what most drivers are expecting...so they make a decision....my life or my Viper???

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of drivers buy the car, new or used, then lose control and blame the "unrefined" power delivery of the Viper for it. :lmao: It scares the heck out of them and they put it back on the market. :dunno: I don't blame them since in the GTS it makes over 350 ft-lbs of torque at around 1500 rpm.

OP
OP
J

jimster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bet the guy is selling it because he found out about the wreck.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see on the first listing it says the vehicle history is clear - meaning no reported wrecks / damage. If it had been wrecked couldn't he go back to them for falsly rep'ing the car as clear history? Is the wrecck showing on the carfax?

Also, does anyone give any value to "entertainment systems" in Vipers? Now the Motons are, to me, one of the most valueable mods to have on a resale, I'd think they'd add real value to the resale value.

SixFootSix

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see on the first listing it says the vehicle history is clear - meaning no reported wrecks / damage. If it had been wrecked couldn't he go back to them for falsly rep'ing the car as clear history? Is the wrecck showing on the carfax?

Re-Read. It says title is clear, not history.
I could wreck a my car bad, but if it does not cross the "total" line, than the title will come back clear.

SixFootSix

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is more of an "acquired taste" than most cars when it comes to driving it. I wasn't crazy about it myself when I first got mine, but then it grew on me.

This is very true. I almost didn't buy mine cause I thought it was sluggish. I figured I could get it fixed at a dealer if there was something really wrong with it. I beat a buddies new Z06 and realized that it was all there, just not like how the power used to feel in my mustangs.
BL

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re-Read. It says title is clear, not history.
I could wreck a my car bad, but if it does not cross the "total" line, than the title will come back clear.

Um, nope, check it -
"Remaining Factory Warranty

AutoCheck vehicle history is CLEAR."

That's not referring to a clear title, that's saying the vehicle history is clear.

ViperDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I first got my 06 it was only 500 mi used, but had sat somewhere for the better part of a year. Probably some guy who yes was too scared of the power, or not used to not having traction control, or not used to that kind of real race car ride.

I have a Corvette as a daily driver, and in 'Competitive Mode' it lets you get real wild with the rear end before it reels you in. I find this to have been the best 'training wheels' mode ever in a car, since it really lets you play with handing the ass end out, which I do around like every corner, just for fun.

Knowing over and over and over what the car 'feels' like when the wheels break loose, before the ass end even starts to move, is important. Driving the Viper, I feel the wheels breaking loose CONSTANTLY, and am generally quick to make throttle and sterring adjustments before it gets way out, since there ain't no computer to reign you in!

But yes, if you're not used to having done that 1,000 times in a car, and are used to just 'flooring it around the corners' the Viper will make you crap your pants in just a few short test drives. You've got be instinctive with it, and that takes a lot of years of posi action kickin it out yo.

Also for the speed feel, amazingly the Viper is even faster than it feels IMO. The chasis hides the speed very well, and even acceleration. I remember taking mine for a test drive after it got shipped to my local dealership, just to see if anything needed to be fixed asap under warranty.

As I came around a u-turn and onto the highway access road, I got on the throttle what I deemed to be fairly hard, and I pulled through a few gears and thought something was wrong with the engine or whatever, because I felt like I was barely getting up to like 40 or 45 mph. As I looked down I saw i was doing 85 - 90mph!!

I've driven alot of high end sports cars, including Ferrari's and Lambos, and I don't remember ever having a Twilight Zone moment like that. So again, the car will get the uninitiated into trouble real quick, since you won't even realize you've already gotten the car up to like 90 mph before potentially doing something stupid.

Gotta keep an eye on this car man, it's a beast!!!

As a side note on the Vette, I couldn't ever imagine owning a Z06, since it's basically the same chassis and interior, and every time I get out of the Viper and back into my Vette, I feel like I'm getting into a Honda Accord! Funny but true, the Vette just has a cheesy feel to it compared to spending some serious cockpit time in the Viper.

The Viper is now hands down the best performing balls out sports car you can buy without spending more than $300,000. But in the process of saving $220,000 you do lose some finesse, and you better have some balls man to ride this bull.

Last edited:

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viperdude,

I agree with you 100%. I have given some people rides in mine, and that alone was enough to scare the s&*% out of them. If I did'nt have 5 years of road racing experience under my belt before buying my Viper, I would have been scared too!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang