Japan

Shags

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looking for some advice and maybe contact from any VCA members in Japan. I am currently in the US Air Force stationed in Las Vegas and I am being transferred to Japan (Misawa AB in Northern Japan). I have a 2003 SRT10 and I have no desire to sell my dream car. My options are to keep it here in the States or attempt to take it to Japan. I have heard it is very difficult, but not impossible to make it legal for roads in Japan.

I tried to contact members of the Japan VCA region through this website, but the info appears to be outdated (2001). I sent an email to the contact listed and got no reply. I seem to recall from VOI that there was quite a large contingent from Japan so I know there must be some active members. I would love to hear from any VCA members from Japan - either a posting or a PM.

Curious to hear what other Viper owners think about bringing my baby to Japan? I was in a similar situation several years ago when I was transferred to Europe. In that situation, I sold my Viper (98) and regretted it as soon as I saw it being loaded into the transport for its new owner! Any tips for storing the car if I can’t take it to Japan?

Shags

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
either store it, sell it and when you get back to the states get another viper. The cost to make it a right hand drive would be alot of yen!!! I was stationed in Japan, they drive like a bunch of cats in a room full of rocking chairs.02

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new president of Japan VCA is Tateshi Kiriyama.

I do not have his contact info, but you probably could get it from Kim.

Mr Kiriyama may be coming to the Presidents meeting next week in Detroit. If so, I will get his info.

I have another option. I live not far from you, in San Diego, and would be more than willing to drive your Viper for you until you get back. Keep the oil circulating you know. Have nice safe indoor storage, All you would need when you get back is probably a new set of tires.

Just kidding. I just sold my Viper and share your feelings of loss. Thank you for your military service. Every time I see one of our planes in the air, I am glad they are one of ours. Very secure feeling.

ZD Paul

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have met with some Japan VCA members in Japan. The new president of Japan VCA is Tateshi Kiriyama, as noted above. I spoke with him the other day actually. He has pretty good English (be patient though), but he hasn't done any Viper shipping to Japan personally in some time. Another Japan VCA member has (I helped him get an 05 VCA edition from Pemberton at VOI8), Masayoshi Otani, so it can be done readily enough. At least in Misawa, you would be on the main island Honshu, so you could cruise to Tokyo and meet some ladies in Roppongi ;) PM me if you want further info and/or to discuss logistics for your proposed plan.

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too good to tell a brother you got orders? I hope it's not before 29 Jan. because you have to re-enlist me! My Dad has a 50'x 100' shop back at Little Rock, and if things don't go well you always have a space to store it free of charge for as long as you need. If there's anything you need, or anything I can do, I'd be more than happy to help. Tell "Mrs. Shags" "Hi!" for me, and I hope things are going well.