Just bought a 00 Vette

*fill-up*

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As some of you may know, I sold my GTS a few weeks ago and wanted to downgrade a bit. I bought a 2000 Targe 6spd vette today, and to say the least bit I greatly missing my viper. The vette feels like I am driving a civic compared to the viper. I still havn't been able to spin the wheels.

But hey it gets better gas mileage and foamier seats? :/

To anyone who has a choice between a vette and a viper... don't think twice, buy the viper.

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As some of you may know, I sold my GTS a few weeks ago and wanted to downgrade a bit. I bought a 2000 Targe 6spd vette today, and to say the least bit I greatly missing my viper. The vette feels like I am driving a civic compared to the viper. I still havn't been able to spin the wheels.

But hey it gets better gas mileage and foamier seats? :/

To anyone who has a choice between a vette and a viper... don't think twice, buy the viper.

There is a country song that has the words, "WHAT WAS I THINKIN'??? :omg:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You poor unfortunate soul.....so sad....so true......first you had a viper and now a vette......do you need help...yes you do

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there is no way that vette gets better mpg if driven the same way
I had a 99 Vetter before my 2 vipers and it was better than both vipers on fuel. On the highway i could get 31 mpg with the vette. The best i ever got with the viper was 28 mpg. ( Imp gallon so 20 % more than a US gallon ) Around town being as nice as i can with the viper it still ***** more fuel, I have never been able to get as good a mileage with either of my vipers as i could with the vette and ive tried, just to see if it was possible. on the highway the viper can be very good on gas if driven easy but in town it definitely ***** more fuel than my Vette did. Not that I give a \sh^%. The Vipers are 10 times the car the vette was so if it uses a little more fuel then so be it.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our 99 C5 has been a great dd and is a lot of value for the money. As far as losing your Viper, there is nothing that can replace it. There is still plenty of time to get back in a Gen II. I am amazed that asking prices have stayed so low and look to be for the next year or 2 at least. Get back in a Viper before parts value for Gen II's start to rise even more.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
obviously im wrong. im surprised that vette can get over 24+mpg on the highway. learn something new everyday

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The LS engine responds very well to a little massaging, throw on heads/cam and maybe a 150 shot and you will go through rear tires very quickly :)

Dads Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
obviously im wrong. im surprised that vette can get over 24+mpg on the highway. learn something new everyday

my 2007 C6 got 24-25 in town and 29-32 on the highway with an auto 6 speed. My 2011 392 hemi challenger with auto 5 speed is getting about 18 combined. now it only has 600 miles on it and I am hoping it will get around 20-22 on the highway.

my heads/cam/headers 500hp 6speed TA with 4.56 gears got 24 mpg from KC to Kentucky and back. got 28 mpg when it had 3.42 gears.

The C6 vette has 2.56 gears in the auto.
I think the challenger has 3.05's. they should of put an A6 in it.

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you miss the Viper... I too have both (2004 Vette) and they are both great in their own way. VERY different beasts for sure.

What made you "downgrade"?

On the track, where raw HP/TQ are not as important (I'm speaking HPDEs not racing) the Vette can be an incredible car. With decent tires the Vette is quite good stock, with a few choice upgrades it can be super. I ran DOTRs, Z06 suspension, Wilwood 6 caliper brakes and the car was fast. I'd loose higher HP cars on longer straights, but catch right back up under braking and through turns.

As said above, the LS1 does do well with mods too, though I never really found the need for more HP on the track.

I haven't had the Viper long, but I would suspect the Vette will never feel quite like that.

And yeah... 5.7L of V8 does quite a bit better than 8L of V10 from a fuel standpoint. > 30 mpg on the highway is easy in the Vette.

OP
OP
F

*fill-up*

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol thanks everyone for the responses, I do need some help :/

But I had to downgrade to invest some money into my business, but if it makes me any better I almost bought an 01 RT/10 on Wendnesday, but I lost the bid by $200 :(

But I don't really do any track racing, I do however do autocross, was a little scared to do it in the viper with all that power so I guess that's the only real plus for the vette, and yes I do receieve 32 on the highway, but the viper got 25-27, so its not like it matters

Last edited:

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But I don't really do any track racing, I do however do autocross, was a little scared to do it in the viper with all that power so I guess that's the only real plus for the vette,

Don't underestimate that plus. It can be helpful.

I had a Hayabusa at one point, and my wife had a GSXR-600. When she wasn't riding it I'd take it out and rail on it. It was plenty fast, crazy agile, and I didn't have to constantly feather the throttle. It was plain out fun to drive and frankly, easier to get through turns faster.

Massive power is a lot of work. It can be fun, but so can just gettin' on it :) And the Vette still has plenty to spin you out if you so choose :)

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:omg:A Vette!!! How could you? What were you thinking? Off your meds? Found God?

This should make you feel better:
You must be registered for see images

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there is no way that vette gets better mpg if driven the same way

The Vettes actually do get GREAT gas mileage. I could not believe how good my old C5 Z06 was. I would average 18mpg and could get 30mpg on the highway. Now my Callaway (supercharged) is better than my Viper but still no economy car. While they may never be Vipers they do have their good points. The LS motors are also easily and cheaply made very fast with simple mods like supercharging. But that said as much as I love my Callaway the Gen II Viper GTS just has a special place in my heart. That said this is the last board I want to get into a Vette/Viper debate. :lmao:

PirateViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had an 01z06 that was a great car.....Ive actually been looking at both gen 3 vipers and 08-09 z06s....can get a almost new z06 for what you get a nice 05-06 viper.At 505 hp they are pretty nice rides.

Acr girl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:New to the viper world , I have had vette's for 10 yrs great cars and love them have 2011 grand sport conv now too she is fun and easy to drive !!! With that's said my 2001 gts acr viper is a blast and don't think I will ever be with out a viper now !!! Two way different breeds of cars !!! Let's just say I am a viper chick for sure:D:D:D

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My mom drives a Vette... there is just no way I could own one.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
.... and foamier seats? :/

i feel your pain, thanks for posting the warning

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get well soon !

I upstaged 3 incredible looking C6's a little while ago including a white Grand Sport with the little red stripes over the front wheels... I pulled in with my GTS and drew a crowd away from them like a magnet... Even the Vette owners were in seemingly in awe... One guy looks at the other and says Whoa that's one of the original ones... The other guy looks at the fuel cap and says that's just sick... Look on their faces... Priceless.