Just got done painting the inside of my side sills...

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All I could find was VHT1200, so I went ahead and used that because the passenger side sill was starting to yellow at an alarming rate. A couple of things to keep in mind if you decide to do this and then a couple of questions.

1) Watch out for the sharp edges, especially from welds and such. My finger tips feel like I ran them on top of a bunch of razor blades.

2) On the passenger side, I noticed the insulation on the inside of the sill was bent down some, unlike the driver's side insulation, which ran uniformly and smoothly along the top of the sill. The driver's side was the one not yellowing. The insulation being bent down some left a gap between the sill and the insulation which can trap a lot of heat from the cat. This is most likely what caused my sill to discolor.

and now for the questions:

I noticed that I was missing a self tapping screw on the bottom of the sill. Are these things easy to get from the dealer or are they readily available from a bolt house?

Also, I noticed on the driver's side that a couple of the screws on the bottom were barely hanging on. I tried to tighten them up but they just kept on turning. Seems the folks at CAAP overtightened these a bit and ended up stripping the hole. Explains why I was missing a screw on the other side, too. Besides using teflon tape on the screws, how can I fix this? I was thinking about dropping a bit of industrial solder into the hole to build up the walls a bit. Good idea or bad idea? Most solder has acidic content.

Hisser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That works perfectly. I did the same on both of my gen1's. It is very common I see it even on the gen2's. Just get bigger screws...good luck.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ulysses..how many miles on your car? And please keep us informed about how this is slowing down/stopping the problem. Heck..if it helps I'll do it for insurance alone.

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is a common problem with the side sills. Once you have taken them off, the screws will strip and fall out in front of your rear wheels and you will often get them in the tire. I have just completed a fix for this which uses button head machine screws and looks very professional. I took pictures and will have the CD back next week (have no digital camera) to post the proceedure on this site. This is the way Dodge should have done it in the first place. I also have a great fix for the stock shifter. Stay tuned.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery