K & N filters and smooth tube

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just recieved my smooth tube and filters from K & N. Very nice parts, plan on putting them on the car and going to the dyno with the Ilonis region next month. Check with your local K & N parts supplier for pricing. The K & N part number is 63-1090. Direct replacement of the tube and filters looks like it should fit nicely into the air box. These were designed and built specifically for the SRT10. Will try to get some pictures to post when the car comes back from Autoform in two weeks.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Time to call JonB or check with the local AutoZone! Thanks for the parts number - do they come as a set (filters & tube)?

OP
OP
S

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes they come as a set. The filters alone will not fit on the stock air tube. The air tube has round ports for the attachement of the filters. Comes complete with all necessary clamps required for installation. Looks to me that the set can be installed in less than 30 minutes. I will let you know how long it took when I get the car back.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just checked in with good ol' JonB at PartsRack. Once again, he has come through! Found that this kit lists at a pretty hefty $473.00. Figure two filters and molded intake tube with a "Y" fitting. Gets rid of the resonator chamber and corrugated tube. JonB's special introductory price? $373.00 complete - $100 off list! Here is what it looks like:

You must be registered for see images attach

It sits inside the factory housing and has the correct hookups for the air temp sensor, crank case vent hose, and the idle air vent hose. Kit includes the filters, tube, clamps, and silicon hose for the intake. Looks like a 10-minute install with screwdrivers and pair of pliers. AWESOME! I am placing my order with JonB and hopefully will get them in hand before our Dyno Day coming up in the not-too-distant future. Definitely hope to get a before and after...

Thanks again for the post and thanks to PartsRack for the great deal!

Chris

PS. You can call Jon at 360-837-3937 or by e-mail at [email protected]

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay ....................... (that is an internet version of a drum roll) ........................................
And the performance gain is???

I recall some time ago a pretty significant claim by K&N. Come on I am itching to call Jon but need some numbers. Palease!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recall some time ago a pretty significant claim by K&N. Come on I am itching to call Jon but need some numbers.

Okay, I thought there were also some "test" numbers from K&N on here, but danged if I can find them anywhere. What I found is a mixed bag indeed. First off, a single "independent" test with a prototype apparently only gained one, yes 1, horsepower at the rear wheels. Didn't appear to be a very controlled test and other dyno sheets were hoped for, but never materialized:

Click here for the K&N system thread

More promising was this long-ago thread that appeared to be a very similar system from TNT which yielded an unbelievable 26 rwhp and 26 rwtq:

Click here for the results of a very similar TNT kit

And for those that are wondering just how challenging the change is, here is a detailed post, with pictures, about the Viper SRT-10 intake system. Man, I sure do like this guy's writing style! ;)

Click here to get up close and personal with the SRT-10 filter system

Hope this helps! Personally, I am going to assume a conservative medium on the two results listed above. I will be happy with a 10 rwhp for this minimal expense - much like I got with the K&N's and tubes on my GTS. And most importantly, I won't have anybody asking "Why don't you have K&N's on it yet?" everytime I open the hood... :laugh:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Chris. I anxiously wait with bated (no make that baited) breath for some results. The K&N system sure does look cleaner.

I have a question for anyone that has installed it. That is with respect to alignment. My SRT, and most I have seen, have a slight offset and the corrugated hose shifts a little bit to the left as it goes toward the engine (when viewed from the front). How doe the K&N handle what appears to be an intentional misalignment?

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How doe the K&N handle what appears to be an intentional misalignment?

Like all good things in life: Silicon! Actually, the kit includes a silicon tube which goes between the engine intake and the plastic K&N "Y" filter hookup. It appears to be able to "make the turn" and connect up fine. Here is a poor picture from the installation instructions as borrowed from K&N's site:

You must be registered for see images

I suspect they tested it on at least a couple production SRT's before they built it in quantity. No worries here!

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had on of the first models made, and it fit very well. No drawbacks to this, but the price seems way to high. I like the function of it, and it really works well with a free flowing exhaust. As a matter of fact, that is about the only way you will receive the true benifits of this.

Skip White

2vipers2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought my K & N filters from 4filters.com. Paid $338.47 complete, with free shipping. I expect them on March 22nd. I will post pictures before and after. The AutoZones here in Central Florida don't have the K&N part number in the computer yet.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Guys.

I also just ordered one from SUmmit for 316.90 including shipping. Sorry Jon but hard to resist a 20% savings.

Lots of good picures and instruction at the following:

Description

Instructions

Dead President

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Change to K&N filters, sure. But smooth tube ?? Last dyno I saw was 1HP gain and a substantial loss of torque. I would like to see definitive results first with the only variable being the smooth tube. It's a no brainer to change the stock filters to K&Ns.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
from what i understand most of the hp gain comes not from the filters but from the smooth tube.

Most likely true for the Gen I/Gen II Vipers, but unlikely for the SRT. While the previous Vipers had two longer tubes feeding the intake, the SRT has one very short tube. My guess is that the filters represent the majority of the gain. The only other variable on the K&N setup that I can see is the "resonator" on the plastic "Y" connection that attaches the filters. The K&N setup eliminates that, which I would think would kill some of the turbulence and backpressure - which should help the HP. Should be fun to get a before and after on the dyno!

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, if the computer has to 're-learn' when installing the new setup, it shouldn't be dyno'd until the computer retunes everything?

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have pulled the power on mine in between dyno runs in the past so that the car had to "relearn" right on the dyno. Kind of interesting to see the results. Did the same thing with a "casual" driver on his SRT. Pulled the power, then rehooked it and sent him out for some WOT driving. Came back and gained 10 hp...

Oh, and expect JonB to post on the pricing in the not-too-distant future. I noted the prices being discussed here and he continued digging to get what he could from K&N. His "first blush" price was based on what he estimated he could buy them for, not including the 10% VCA member discount (which got it down to $335). Don't know for sure, but I suspect you may want to hold off on your Summit Racing order. May be able to pick it up for an even better price and also support one of the vendors that supports your Viper club. Just a thought!

Chris

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks Guys.

I also just ordered one from SUmmit for 316.90 including shipping. Sorry Jon but hard to resist a 20% savings.

I NEEDED TO GET MY ACT TOGETHER!

THANKS guys for doing my research for me. PartsRack can do $299.

When I got Chris's heads up, (THANKS!) I knee-****** "$100 off" not even knowing my net-net cost was. (So much for ZERO market research!) Now that I have researched a volume-order, and competitor prices (your research) PartsRack can be offering these at $299. This places us as competitively priced as a multi-million dollar giant like Summit.

And we HOPE you will allow for the fact that we try to EARN your support not only with competitive prices, but we (All VCA vendors) help pay for this very website, and lots of other VCA support stuff. So give us an opportunty before the big Non-Viper guys PLEASE. (If I did NOT support VCA I could be $289 !!! )

PartsRack is able to offer the SRT-10 at $299...... INCLUDING the several owners who already ordered at the misguided price posted earlier. You will be billed only $299. PARTSRACK, PLEASE ?? THANK YOU..........

Mach500

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JonB,

What's the difference (performance-wise) between K&N setup and Green Filter kit that was being advertised awhile back?

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I will call monyana and see if i can stop the order with summit. whats the turn around time for these at parts rack???

vd..

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anybody have real numbers on this setup? When I got my SRT, I just changed out the filters to K/Ns.

Toddh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remain somewhat skeptical until we can see some dyno sheets. Please? Pretty please? :)

Also, does K&N make any claimed performance benefit (filters only or full system)? Or does the package just say something about improved airflow? I would put some stock in what K&N claimed; OTOH, if they don't make a claim about performance benefit, that would speak loudly, too.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If my next shipment next week allows, Ill LOAN one to Y2K Chris for his dyno day.

In all honesty, the claim from an HRE engineer of 'estimated 15HP' is not backed up by dyno sheets thaT i have access to. "Proprietary Info"

More truth.... + / - 1.5% dyno accuracy = 7.5HP. Proving an 8HP gain is a dubious achievement anyway. You need multiple in-use dyno runs to 'prove' anything, and THE PART IS TOO NEW!

Truth told, no one in our database has spent the $$$ to do a dyno run before/after just the filters! We have had many DOZENS of SRTs and VCCs install Corsa and filters, Belanger and Filters.

The 2 early mules were sold by the mule car owner cheap, while K+N went back to the drawing board. Unfortunately, those anecdotes survive. Those mules reportedly made +1HP, but the crisper throttle response was notable.

While GREEN claims "up to +20 HP" no one has shown me proof.

Sometimes, you gotta go with your gut.

Dead President

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Below is the dyno sheet from Leonard Knight's car done in Dec '03. Probably with a prototype K&N setup. I don't have the details, I am just posting it for Leonard. While it shows an 11HP improvement, there is no torque # and maybe this could be achieved with filters alone.

385KNDyno.jpg

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would really like to see one of the complete production units as a stand alone mod on the dyno

As JonB has graciously offered to loan one for our Dyno Day, I will get it done the same day it arrives here - hopefully next week. The dyno is near here and I have to go down there before our dyno day anyway. It will also be interesting to see how my car dynos now with 5500+ miles and the "bog" reflash done. Original stock numbers with 540 miles on the odometer are below.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang