Keep hitting 2nd while going for 4th!

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know this has been covered... as early as a few months ago. I believe the conclusion was raising the elbow while shifting and/or turning the wrist towards you. The only problem is that it doesn't seem to work for me. Even when I carefully shift while the car is parked, I can't find 4th easily. Am I ******** (probably), or do I need a new shifter? Thanks.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When grabbing the shifter, your palm should face the way you want the shifter to go....if you want second, your palm should be facing the driver, you want 4th, palm should be facing the passenger......if you pull it into 2nd with your palm facing the passenger side, then maybe your last statement is true ;)

OP
OP
W

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When grabbing the shifter, your palm should face the way you want the shifter to go....if you want second, your palm should be facing the driver, you want 4th, palm should be facing the passenger......if you pull it into 2nd with your palm facing the passenger side, then maybe your last statement is true ;)

When you say palm facing the passenger, does that mean the thumb points down?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LEARN HOW TO DRIVE !...:)

and make sure there is no elbow from the passenger on the console.

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw the old thread a month ago. I had yet to really "drive" my car, but have in the past couple weeks. I thought about it for the first couple attempts, but it never happened. I have my elbow on the console, my hand directly on top of the shifter, I hit the gears easy and hard, no issues. I do have a B&M shifter, not sure if that helps/corrects the issue, but if it does it would be a well spent $220.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try to shift with a single or two (pointer) finger(s) only - that should help. Pulling with the finger(s) from above.

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem with the stock shifter knob when I purchased my first Viper years ago.

Since then...my first mod with every new Viper is a first strike knob from MGW.

You must be registered for see images

http://www.mgwltd.com/viper_first_strike_race_knob.html

I then adjust the knob so the knob is pointed in the slightly to the left....in about the 11 o'clock position.

This slight angle positions my hand correctly as people above have suggested and I have not missed a 3-4 shift in years.

Rocket65C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It helped me to sit in the car and go through the gears quickly, with the car stationary. When you go horizontally back and forth with the shifter knob (like you were going to be in the 1st-2nd column then to the 3rd-4th column, then all the way over to the 5th-6th column) you can see that the "H" pattern as looking above the car on the shifter is rotated quite a bit in a counterclockwise fashion. So the back and forth motion is really up and forth. When driving I imagine the cockeyed "H" as I shift.

I considered the MGW knob but I thought the pistol grip was considered a bad idea, that you couldn't rotate your palm over the knob as was taught at Viper Days classrooms(I haven't been to a Viper Days)?

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When you say palm facing the passenger, does that mean the thumb points down?

Yes

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't wanna be following Warfang too close when he slams his shifter from 3rd to 2nd on a fast acceleration...ouch (as face slams steering wheel :) )

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did it once when I first got the car. Since then it has not been a problem. I don't even think about it. It just works. I am running an MGW short shifter.

OP
OP
W

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It helped me to sit in the car and go through the gears quickly, with the car stationary. When you go horizontally back and forth with the shifter knob (like you were going to be in the 1st-2nd column then to the 3rd-4th column, then all the way over to the 5th-6th column) you can see that the "H" pattern as looking above the car on the shifter is rotated quite a bit in a counterclockwise fashion. So the back and forth motion is really up and forth. When driving I imagine the cockeyed "H" as I shift.

That's what I've been doing... whether I shift fast or slow when parked, I can't find 4th easily. (maybe I AM ********... explains the constant drool). My viper is a 97gts. Is it possible that over time the shifter gets a bit worn and needs to be replaced?

OP
OP
W

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't wanna be following Warfang too close when he slams his shifter from 3rd to 2nd on a fast acceleration...ouch (as face slams steering wheel :) )

***** being the butt of the jokes, but if it wasn't happening to me, I'd be first in line to shoot my mouth off! :p

I just hope this helps other lamea$$es that can't shift worth a damn or have a worn shifter. I can't tell the difference, and I've been driving stick since before I got my license (over 15 yrs).

Flyviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Recent posts say Hurst is the answer. Dave Jenkins is installing one on mine next week-- after six Vipers I'm willing to try a solution. Been a problem since 1992.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have never had a problem shifting either of my vipers. What is the deal? Is the viper the first stick some of you guys have driven or something?

Drmcar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had that problem as well. Having drivens Vettes before, I believe the angle is slighlty different. Someone told me that because of the size of the 10 cylinder engine it had to be place in with a 10 deg angle rather than straight, making the tranny a little off as well. Anyone else heard that? In any event I always push it slightly toward the passanger seat, whereas in my vettes I just go straight back with no problem :)

cgmaster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have also had a few problems with the stock unit. I don't understand how just a new shift knob would help since it does not change the linkage. I am going to try the Hurst unit I would also like to try the B&M to compare them. The only other shifter I know of is the Competition Coupe shifter but it is about $100 more.

Go Fast For Life

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did it once when the car was new. (Or maybe I was new to the car.) Hasn't been a problem since. I do have an SVSi shifter. This is a fantastic shifter and makes shifts crisp and positive.

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You sure are blessed, most people don't even get away with that shift to second once before a visit to the body shop. The reverse palm method with your thumb down towards the console should work great. One other problem many people try is to muscle the shifter through the gears often over coming the spring forces that are currently set up in the box. You should be able to flick the shifter thru all gears with just slightest pressure from two fingers.

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have never had a problem shifting either of my vipers. What is the deal? Is the viper the first stick some of you guys have driven or something?

Actually, yeah. But I've never had a problem hitting 4th. Only mod I've done was to lower the shifter with detert short shift shaft. Love the way it feels and looks a lot better then the old tall shaft.

S-JC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just keep practicing. All of my cars have been manual but the Viper seems to have 4th gear unusually far to the right, so I had the same problem. It seemed like I had more trouble finding 4th when accelerating very hard (the g's must have been pulling my body back :headbang: ). Now it's very natural. I use my middle and ring fingers to push it from 3-4. Thumb down.

andrew8896

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I like telling stories, here is another from my past..

About ten years ago while racing (I let my buddy drive and I was in the pasenger seat) my mustang (88GT with bolt-ons) against another mustang, we were nearing the finish line with the tach in the red in 3rd gear when my buddy (who is an excellent driving) pulls back to put it in 4th and puts it in 2nd!!!

Tach wrapped ALL the way around and there was a NASTY noise from the engine... he quickly pulled it out of gear and pulled over.. we both thought the engine/trans/clutch was done (never heard an engine scream in pain like that!!).

Some spectators walked over and asked what the heck happened.. they said there was white smoke pouring off of the back tires and black smoke bellowing from the tailpipes!!! Drove away and put another 20k on the car w/o problems before selling it! Those 5.0s should could take a beating!

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could try contacting Anaconda. He's having problems with his upshifts but no complains on his downshifts. And he's got half a million miles too.

ROTFLMAO