Keep missing 3-4 shift

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I keep missing the 3rd to 4th gear shift. This has happened most frequently when drag racing. With normal driving this does not happen.

I have searched for information about shifters etc, but nothing was found specific to a 3-4 shift problem.

I suspect it is one fo the following with the most likely first:

I can't shift. Ok, not new to shifting cars in drag races. However when sitting in the car and shifting through the gears it does not seem to me that 4th is behind 3rd. Meaning when I leave 3rd I have to move slightly to the right to get 4th. I am also playing with how I hold the shift knob during this 3-4 shift. I suspect it could be that I am forcing it to the left.

Upgrade to a new shifter although not sure this will deal with this specific problem but am willing to try.

Motor mount problem. This however seems to be more related to a 1-2 shift problem.

Any thoughts?

John Johns

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keeping your elbow up is helpful. I once missed 4th and hit 2nd briefly and did 2 360's on the track. This is with a B&M shifter. I learned up with the elbow which compels you to go back right with the shifter when going for 4th. Good luck. Oh, I use the beer can grip.

GotAViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the problem with going to 2-3... 3-4 is cake!!

going from 2nd to 3rd i just cant get it in... dont know what im doing wrong but its only when im racing.

3-4 all i do is just pull it straight back, never had it go in 2nd on me

Lake Murray Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I shifted from 3rd to second once in another Viper with the factory shifter. In my current GTS I have not had this issue but it has an MGW short throw knob. I drive this car pretty easy to so it's not like I have had a lot of high RPM shifts to know if it were an issue

Last edited:

97 B/W GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think about this: When you shift 1-2, you pull back but are able to kinda pull toward you also. I think this is kind of a natural movement...to pull slightly toward your body. But it has no choice but to go into 2. If you shift the same way 3-4, you will end up in 2.

Make your hand-arm-elbow go straight back...follow the line of the tranny. Make your elbow go to the back of the car.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a common mistake with many standard shifting cars and drivers. Prior to shifting from 3rd to 4th, never grab the shift handle or knob like a bat as this will almost always bring the shifter toward your body and into second. Prior to shifting into 4th, place your palm above the shifter and just use the two fingers next to your thumb and place your thumb against the left side of the knob. When up shifting from 2nd to 3rd or down from 4th to 3rd, many just use the palm without grabbing the shifter.

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From 1st to 2nd grip the knob with your palm toward you, then from 3rd to fourth rotate your grip so your palm is away from you. It seems to work for many people. I think Vic came up with this method first, 2-3 years ago.

OP
OP
V

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I suspect I will "train" myself to change the grip. I have a MGW knob now. The good news is when I miss the 3-4 shift I end up in neutral not second. I guess for now I will sit in the car and practice different grips to find one that is natural for the 3-4.

It sounds like getting a aftermarket shifter will not help with this problem.

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Folks keep talking about an MGW shifter for the Viper. They make a wonderful shifter for the Tremec 6 speed but as far as I know it only fits Ford Cobras. I have one on my Saleen Cobra & have always used MGW shift knobs (which lowers the shift handle & therefore shortens the throw) but as good as they are they're not shifters & are not the improvement the Cobra shifter makes. Did I miss a limited production of shifters? Wish the Cobra one fit my Viper.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thumb down on 3rd to 4th shifts, palm facing passenger seat. Pushes the shifter away from body, at worst you'll hit 6th, a lot better than 2nd.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the centering springs it should automatically go into 3rd and fourth without any effort. you need to apply pressure to the left to get into first and second and to the right to get into fifth and sixth.

There was a real good tutorial on how to position your hand on the Corvette Forum, I will try to find the link and post it for you as it was right on.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the centering springs it should automatically go into 3rd and fourth without any effort. you need to apply pressure to the left to get into first and second and to the right to get into fifth and sixth.

There was a real good tutorial on how to position your hand on the Corvette Forum, I will try to find the link and post it for you as it was right on.

The vette doesn't shift quite the same as a Viper, even though they technically have the same transmission.

TSR6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suspect I will "train" myself to change the grip. I have a MGW knob now. The good news is when I miss the 3-4 shift I end up in neutral not second. I guess for now I will sit in the car and practice different grips to find one that is natural for the 3-4.

It sounds like getting a aftermarket shifter will not help with this problem.

I remember when I first started driving a viper, I would "aim" my elbow for the speaker or lock box when going 3-4.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That is obvious. Slowly shifting gears is easy, the problem arises when shifting quickly under a more stressful situation. The tendency can be to think you are pulling straight back but in reality it goes slightly towards your body and it can slip into second. I've done it. Never happened again after simply rotating the wrist as detailed above.