Keeping Away Car Show Rugrats!

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont think Flex was belittling viper trucks or anyone for owning a viper truck J&R. he can correct me if i am wrong, but i am guessing Flex didnt know Kevan owned a viper truck, and was probably assuming by the "enthusiast", that Kevan didnt own a viper-powered vehicle of any kind.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And why aren't you allowed to become a VCA member? Sounds like a bunch of B.S. to me, you "ENTHUSIAST".

It's getting cold outside...let's all chill. Kevan's one of the good guys and owns a Viper truck...so he's Viper Powered at a minimum. He asked to join, but in a purist sense he's not a Viper owner, so we make him sit on the sidelines from a membership standpoint, but he's a true car dude who's been around here contributing for awhile.

NSRENDR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And why aren't you allowed to become a VCA member? Sounds like a bunch of B.S. to me, you "ENTHUSIAST".

I was wondering about that too.
The way i see it to become VCA member is a priviledge. If one has been declined member ship, there must be a good reason behind it.

Joe

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Odd because as I own both I find the truck to be equal in many ways and even better in some.
For one thing you can haul a lot more in it. My Viper car is about worthless on a trip to the lumber yard. :)

Does this mean I have to go get a Pacer now?
then drop a 8.4 litre V10 in it.......YEAH!!!!

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I didn't know VIPER TRUCKS were such lesser vehicles to the viper. Odd because as I own both I find the truck to be equal in many ways and even better in some. But thats besides the point, it just shows true colors when members bring up the "enthusiast" card against someone like Kevan. I would rather be around an enthusiast like Kevan than a member that belittles someone for not owning a "Viper" any day.

You can call it "belittleling" or whatever you want. To me it was belittleling for someone to make a claim or comment against a person (that person by the way is a registered VCA member according to this site) by someone with questionable Viper ownership credentials. Besides, there are no threads in this discussion forum that mentions anything about Viper trucks. Last I checked, you actually had to own a Viper (Gen. I, II, III, or IV) to become a member of the VCA.

Therefore, if it's belittleling of me to defend and protect one of our own, then so be it....

Tony2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't feel my Viper is particularly show worthy, people can go to any Dodge dealership to see a reasonable facsimile of mine.:dunno:

Now musclecars on the other hand.......:headbang:

Thats cause people just want to look at trucks in FT Mac! :lmao:

Just giving you the gears, I am up that way frequently as I have some clients up there.

Tony2

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just for Kevan, a special title.... "Viper Powered Enthusiast". :2tu:
Thanks kcobean, but if you could please put it back to "Enthusiast".

I've asked not to be treated any different on this forum. The ADMINS here have been great allowing me to be a part of this place, and even offered access to the DIY areas so I could post my 3 dozen + tech articles. I declined, but said they were more than welcome to post my stuff there themselves.

I have spent lots of time working with the overtly-gracious national and OH VCA elected officials in getting the Viper-Powered vehicles (trucks and Tomahawks) to be an integral and beneficial part of the organization.
When we all come up with a thorough plan, THEN we can do some title upgrades. :)
Thanks.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went through this thread 3 times trying to find some belittling.
These are the only two I could come up with:
Personally, I wouldn't even entertain someone who's labeled as an "enthusiast". For all we know, he/she could be driving around in a beat up Pacer.
Ironic, isn't it?

The Enthusiast tag isn't a bad one, but it can be a bit confusing.
Sure, you have your punk kids with the STi that goes 0-60 at the speed of smell yet tops out at 120 mph because it's geared like a golf cart.....but....
What if someone like Tony Stewart signed up here? He's not a Viper owner and thus is not allowed to join the VCA, and would listed here as an Enthusiast.
Would you "entertain" anything he said?

That's what I thought.

I offered legitimate suggestions to Venom08 to his questions, and threw in some humor as well.
The defensiveness on his part doesn't make me a bad guy.

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Thats cause people just want to look at trucks in FT Mac! :lmao:

Tony2

Wow,
They have car shows in Ft Mac?. The only thing I saw last time I was there was ***** club's, and a whole lotta Newfie's.:D

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
kevan > flexx91

Flexx, kevan is one helpful SOB around here. what have you contributed in the last 7 years with 425 posts ?

OP
OP
V

Venom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Your avatar shows your $100,000 showcar on a GRAVEL driveway. I think we're done here.

Come on Kevan, if that did not sound like a smarta**, judgmental comment I don't know what is. :dunno: I am sure you are a great guy and all, but if this is your means of humor....I don't care for it.

On another note....The car show went well today. I got 1st place in the "Modern Car" class. They actually had anything from 2000 and up in the same class. Not that great of a show, but my son and I had fun....that's all that matters. I couldn't get over all the kids that would look at the speedo and say "that thing goes 220mph!" :rolaugh: What's sad is the adults that said the same thing :rolleyes: Oh yeah, one kid says "that thing runs nitro gas don't it?" :D I had one guy with the ol' "my friend has a Z06 that will run you...." I simply said it would not be worth my time and laughed. ;)

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow,
They have car shows in Ft Mac?. The only thing I saw last time I was there was ***** club's, and a whole lotta Newfie's.:D

:lmao:
If you also mentioned the oil, you'd have nailed all that's famous about this place.:2tu:

In all seriousness though, there's some pretty cool old iron here, much more show worthy than my Viper.:cool:

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Come on Kevan, if that did not sound like a smarta**, judgmental comment I don't know what is. :dunno: I am sure you are a great guy and all, but if this is your means of humor....I don't care for it.
It wasn't humor nor was it smarta**.
It's based on personal experience.

Growing up my mom had a '77 Pontiac LeMans station wagon. Bright red, with the 'tailgunner' rear seat. She loved the thing and swore that our gravel driveway in Gettysburg would NOT damage her car. She was insanely careful, almost to the point of OCD, about her paint and keeping the car in shape. Short of asking my little brother and I to get out and push her unstarted car up/down the driveway, she was very careful.
And still ended up with a bunch of chips from the driveway.
We could hear the large gravel hitting the car on hot days as the tires were sticky enough to pick it up and fling it around.

Sorry, but it's Murphy's Law.
I don't WANT it to happen to your ride, but it probably will.
If it doesn't, great.
But the odds are against you.

I had one guy with the ol' "my friend has a Z06 that will run you...." I simply said it would not be worth my time and laughed. ;)
That's a much better example of a smarta** comment.

OP
OP
V

Venom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:mad: Kevan, enough already about my :censored: gravel driveway. You may have had bad experiences with a gravel drive in your past. I have NOT! I blow my driveway off once a week just to remove small broken pcs., dust, or debris from the trees. I have had it for 15 years this way, and longer than that growing up at my parents house. I don't have any damage at all on the Viper, my wifes Lexus, my truck, or even my BLACK WS6 TA. One more time....NEVER had a problem with any of my past cars or trucks either. Face it, I never asked for opinions on having gravel on a driveway. I DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM with my driveway. :bdh: Any comments about it are not needed or wanted.

I posted a topic about keeping away car show rugrats....basically asking about stanchions. :dunno: Or what others may do at shows.

You are right about my comment at the show...I MEANT to be a smarta** You had to be there to hear the conversation I guess. There is always someone that has a brother, cousin, friend, uncle, whatever that has something better than yours, which btw is never at the show. I think its funny. Besides, I am not in denial...I know I am a smarta** and it was meant to be a smarta** comment. :doh3:

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm GLAD to hear you're had success with keeping your vehicles in shape despite "rugrats at car shows" and....well, that other thing.

Let me know if you decide to sell that Blackbird.

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about those staunchings that you park on? They are on a angle and have a plate at the bottom that your tire goes on, then you tie a rope around them. Made for car shows and cannot be knocked into car. Sorry, don't know where to get them.

I posted a topic about keeping away car show rugrats....basically asking about stanchions. :dunno: Or what others may do at shows.

I'm sure the prolific and mostly-always welcome poster Kevan is not interested in my opinion, but your post about the gravel driveway sounded a bit rude to me, too.

Getting back to the stanchions, they are very easy to manufacture yourself. Just get four 12" by 12" flat plates, weld steel bar onto them and bend at an angle that looks pleasing, then weld a small circle of metal on the end for the rope to go through. Then spray liberally with black Krylon paint. The bar and the (plastic) rope and the paint can be found at most any hardware store. It should not be difficult to find someone that can weld the pieces together for you.

Bob

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally - I'd be embarrassed to put stanchions around my Viper. I would also think that it would attract the kind of negative attention that you don't want - instead of being accommodating and allowing access - folks would likely think you are a **** who brings their car out for others to look at and tell him how great he is for owning it. I've never thought of Viper owners as being "that guy" that does stuff like that.

If you go to car shows - it's a risk you take that some idiot will do something stupid - lean into your car with a belt buckle, open your door and drop their ice cream on your seat, etc. You just have to be vigilant. 95% of the folks are respectful and most "car guys" do what they can to teach their kids to be respectful of other people's stuff.

We let anyone sit in the Viper. We've brought the Comp Coupe to shows and the little kids LOVE to crawl inside the car through the cage bars, etc. You have to teach them - but allowing them to do things and being cool about it is way better than barricading the car off like it's an original Monet and stressing about it.

I think that you have to accept that things like this come with the car show territory.

I've never thought of car shows as something I wanted to "compete" in - but only to hang out with other car people, and let kids and adults see the Viper and talk about it where they might not get the chance. I'd prefer NOT to get a trophy for going out and spending $100K.

We used to have a ton of trophies - we donated them to a youth league for their year end awards - they changed the plates and the toppers where necessary and had nice things to hand out.

I think someone here said it best - if you are that worried and stressed about something happening to your car - perhaps it's better to skip the shows.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally - I'd be embarrassed to put stanchions around my Viper. I would also think that it would attract the kind of negative attention that you don't want - instead of being accommodating and allowing access - folks would likely think you are a **** who brings their car out for others to look at and tell him how great he is for owning it. I've never thought of Viper owners as being "that guy" that does stuff like that.

If you go to car shows - it's a risk you take that some idiot will do something stupid - lean into your car with a belt buckle, open your door and drop their ice cream on your seat, etc. You just have to be vigilant. 95% of the folks are respectful and most "car guys" do what they can to teach their kids to be respectful of other people's stuff.

We let anyone sit in the Viper. We've brought the Comp Coupe to shows and the little kids LOVE to crawl inside the car through the cage bars, etc. You have to teach them - but allowing them to do things and being cool about it is way better than barricading the car off like it's an original Monet and stressing about it.

I think that you have to accept that things like this come with the car show territory.

I've never thought of car shows as something I wanted to "compete" in - but only to hang out with other car people, and let kids and adults see the Viper and talk about it where they might not get the chance. I'd prefer NOT to get a trophy for going out and spending $100K.

We used to have a ton of trophies - we donated them to a youth league for their year end awards - they changed the plates and the toppers where necessary and had nice things to hand out.

I think someone here said it best - if you are that worried and stressed about something happening to your car - perhaps it's better to skip the shows.
Quoted for awesomeness.

OP
OP
V

Venom08

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Janni, I really agree with you for the most part. I had no intent this weekend to go after a trophy, although it was nice to carry something home. :)I did choose not to pur anything around the car for the reasons that you mentioned. I do weld and had actually started to make some but changed my mind. Of all the car shows that I have been to, the one local show they have every year is the "roughest". I have not been out there in 2 or 3 years. It is at a town Festival and you really get "all kinds" of people there. So I was a little concerned to be honest, but I really wanted to go and hang out. It turned out ok. There was this one kid slinging a beaded necklace around that it flew off her hand and hit the side of this girls black mustang. No damage, but you can imagine the girls face when it hit her car.:evilmad:

RC Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I go to car shows i go with other people. We take turns looking around the show and will not leave the cars alone. People will be people.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave- is that a dare??!!??

You get me the Pacer and a Gen.4 drivetrain and I'll give you back a Pacer ACR.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've only had 1 bad experience during the 30 years I've been entering car shows. Someone key'd my Duster.

On the other hand when my Pro-streeter was parked at the Mall several years ago it got key'd down the entire passenger side. They worked the key twice and went bumper to bumper. Mall parking lots are tough on nice cars. One loser drove into my driveway years ago and threw a rock through the driver's window of my Duster 9 years ago while I was at work. Car shows are pretty safe because most car guys are like me and guard everyone's car and would destroy anyone we caught dmaging another person's car.

Vandalizing someone's car is best done at night when the scumbags are out and the 'good people' are sleeping.

Ted

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
kevan > flexx91

Flexx, kevan is one helpful SOB around here. what have you contributed in the last 7 years with 425 posts ?

Why don't you personally call the VCA office and ask them for yourself since you are so anxious to know what I've contributed. For one thing, three Vipers to your one. Don't get upset with me because you have nothing better to do.

By the way, you seem to by very defensive regarding Kevan. Is there anything else we should know about?