Leaky P/S cap?

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was out doing stuff around the viper and I saw this.

You must be registered for see images

I havent added any p/s fluid since i bought the car a bit over a year ago, but i see it leaking out of the cap. Would this just mean the previous person added to much and the extra comes out there, or is there some problem. I dont like the lookof it coming out and dripping down below

Last edited:

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
where is this roe tube you speak of? what does it do?
It is a tube that bends 180 degrees with a rubber hose on the end that attatches it to the p/s cap. Keeps the cap from twisting off from vibration that these are prone to. I have one:headbang: Look it up on Roe's website or if you are handy, dandy you can make your own.

I bet yours is overfilled.

Last edited:

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Might be a good time to swap the p/s fluid and make sure it is at the correct level. There is a Technical Service Bulletin that covers what specific Mopar fluid is used for each year Viper.

There was a guy here (HiPo Engineering) that sold a vent kit for $20 or so. Very good quality. Roe has good stuff too!

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahhhhhhh ok.

Obviously you have not checked so be warned.

There have been numerous fires in the Viper due to the PS cap issue. I remember a few years back that people were recommending to check the cap at every drive. Word to the wise, get the issue fixed now. Don't delay. Hate to see you lose your car.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a lot of opinions in this thread, so I'll add another. The primary function of the power steering vent tube is to keep the cap from completely coming off if it loosens due to vibrations and temperature changes (although I've never read/heard of any first hand occurrences...just the 'I heard somebody blah blah blah'). The secondary function is that it's designed to force any overflow down below the headers. This a good thing, but you don't really want the power steering fluid overflowing anywhere. My guess is that yours is overfilled...remedy that first.

Last edited:

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a lot of opinions in this thread, so I'll add another. The primary function of the power steering vent tube is to keep the cap from completely coming off if it loosens due to vibrations and temperature changes (although I've never read/heard of any first hand occurrences...just the 'I heard somebody blah blah blah'). The secondary fuction is that it's designed to force any overflow down below the headers. This a good thing, but you don't really want the power steering fluid overflowing anywhere. My guess is that yours is overfilled...remedy that first.
+1, Check the level and tighten the cap good. That's all you need to do, don't over think it!

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't believe a video was needed to explain this but so be it. Too funny.

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just push on a length of your favorite rubber or silicone tubing you have laying around to the cap ****** and route the other end to below your vehicle. The idea is to keep spillage from contacting the headers and starting a fire.

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just push on a length of your favorite rubber or silicone tubing you have laying around to the cap ****** and route the other end to below your vehicle. The idea is to keep spillage from contacting the headers and starting a fire.

The bent tube also keeps the cap from spinning off according to some. Cheap insurance.

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bent tube also keeps the cap from spinning off according to some. Cheap insurance.
Agree. So does a narrow band of bicycle inner tube socked around the cap and reservoir neck. Amazing grip, hardly noticeable, and very low tech.

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree. So does a narrow band of bicycle inner tube socked around the cap and reservoir neck. Amazing grip, hardly noticeable, and very low tech.
And cheaper. What color is your Challenger by the way?

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the hose goes all the way to below the vehicle. I guess the picture on roe made it look alot shorter. sort of just clearing headers...

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Redline 3-Coat Pearl, of course, to match the Viper!
Nice! I would ask for some pics but i would get accused of hijacking another thread soooo....

You need to post a pic of the narrow band of bicycle tube, and throw in the Challenger. Te he he he. Did I mention I have a black 09 SRT8 Challenger with CCW wheels?

Last edited:

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to post a oic of the narrow band of bicycle tube, and throw in the Challenger. Te he he he. Did I mention I have a black 09 SRT8 Challenger with CCW wheels?
You must be registered for see images attach
There you go. I have since trimmed the length of the inner tube so it doesn't cover the top off the cap for that 'pro install' look. You too have excellent taste with the '09 SRT8 . . . Here's my 392:

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow that was fast! There you go. Metal tube or bicycle tube. Your choice.

PS: Challenger looks nice!

Last edited:

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a few feet of black gas line tubing works too, to go overtop of the exit spout...just discovered that too.
Yes but I think the metal tube works better on keeping the cap from vibrating off and it is only $25.00 and looks cool!

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Darth, PM your address and I will send you a kit. I have a few left in a box in the garage.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang