Letting an interested buyer drive your car

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
. No way would I buy a car without driving it first, .

Me too. Would never buy a car without test driving it. That being said, I would make sure he brought the funds with him (certified check) and would hold on to it for the test drive..with me in the passengers seat.

GlennSullivan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I bought my '04 it had just 3000 miles on it and the seller had a lift in his garage. I put the car on the lift and went over every inch of the car looking for evidence of damage or paint. I was satisfied at that point and did not need to drive the car.

When I sold the car, The weather made the decision for me, it was February and there was an TON OF SALT on the roads (they were white). I told the buyer before he came, "The car is in a heated garage and you can spend as much time as you want going over the car, I'll even pull it outside and run it, but my cars do not get driven in the winter on salty roads".

BTW I don't think I would mind a check ride (no spirited driving) if I were in the car. If I were to let a buyer take a spirited drive, I would need to have the money in hand and I would not want to be in the car, Don't need to have him slide the car sideways into a pole on my side (human nature is to hit something on the opposite side you are sitting) and kill my dumb ***.

Last edited:

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Transitown Dodge in Buffalo refused to let me test their new Hemi Challengers last weekend. I went to look at a 2006 Charger V8 with 18k miles I found on autotrader. They let me drive it and even put it on the lift for me. I had to try out a new Challenger while I was there. They handed me to the keys of a V6 Challenger SE to test by myself but wouldn't let me try out a V8. They told me that a previous buyer refused to buy a car because there were too many miles on it already after too many test drivers. Essentially depreciation caused the loss of a sale.

I did not argue because it did make sense AND because I was not in the market to buy a new V8 on that day. I was only looking for an all season driver. I would have argued and went to a different dealer if I was intending to buy a new V8 and couldn't test drive one. The price for a Challenger RT is only $32-36k.
I did buy a Tor Red Challenger SE V6 from them and picked it up Tuesday.:drive:

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not buy a car without driving it. I would not expect to sell a car without the buyer driving it.

I would go with a qualified buyer to show them the basics and drive to a pretty safe place for them to get a feel for the car. The expectation needs to be set that the car be driven in moderation since the prospective buyer has no feel for the car. Then I would drive it again to show them the car's potential.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would take him for a ride first and show him all the ins and outs, then let him drive only with me in the car next to him.

he knows how to drive a clutch, right? (ya never know)

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You go with them of course, and again not just a average joe. I just sold my 06 paxton a couple months ago and the buyer flew in from CA. I let him drive it, not crazy. I just wondered what everyone thought.

The buyer of your car, though I don't think he ever owned a viper before had miled up his buddy's two vipers quite effectively, so he was an experienced viper driver. I think it would come down to the gut feeling at the time.

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I GOT IT!!! Take the proposed buyer for a spirited drive and show how well it performs in all aspects from slow to "slow the h--- down" after they ride along and are still interested plug in the SCT tuner and download the valet tune then let the buyer drive it all they want around the neighbor hood to see the controls, steering, and alignment are all as should be when behind the wheel. Heck with the SCT keeping the rpms below 2k and the speed below 30mph I would even ride around in the passenger seat;)
Sad aint it......but I swear ya'll just are not thinking about how crazy people can be when handed alot of power. Like I said I will never ride along with anyone ina viper. Ive seen what can happen in a split second with these machines:nono:

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my car from a dealer 2000 miles away sight unseen based on my trust in the salesman responsible for the sale. He was very honest about the car and I have been very happy with it ever since.
PAvenom RT/10

OP
OP

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure we can TRADE on a drive, your going to need an ACR to keep up with me in your BEAST!

Rapps

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When we were looking for our car in general it seemed the owners that said sure take it for a spin on your own were the ones that had cars that also had "issues" -odd noise when turning or questionable paint/body items. I think they were that way with the car to friends/family too which leads to it being mistreated. I drive ours but still am not comfortable at high speeds. Shoot I can rip up and down the major surface streets and then get on the highway and drive like an old lady. Something about the "feel" of it at higher speeds in the more open road, like it's really evil, waiting for me to misstep. At this rate I'll be so old I won't have the strength to push the clutch in by the time I get over this :smirk:

OP
OP

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the ACR feel slower than the car you sold me? It must, since without heatsoak, it's down 150rwhp

Its hard to say, the 06 does fell faster as it puts you in the seat when the boost hits, we need to do a roll on, come over:)

FEDBYVORTECH

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Haven't most of us that purchased, bought our cars without driving them first......

I picked mine up with out driving it. She was my first Viper. I think I was completly overwhelmed. The thing was spotless and crazy hot. I paid him asked if he would leave the plate on and drove from Kansas to NY. Smiled the entire time. Every time I stopped to get gas I walked backwards and just stared at it.

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I flew to Florida to do a final test drive with money in hand and ready to close the deal. If B hadn't let me drive my '01 GTS (first Viper), I wouldn't have joined the family of owners. I didn't get crazy with it ... respected the power from the beginning. He (member on VCA) took me for a spirited ride and then let me take the wheel for a controlled drive.

At this point, I know enough about the cars to buy one without getting on the road, but it's expected by the normal 'first time' buyer. IF I were selling, it would take cash in hand and me going along for the ride to make sure that the person could handle it.

Just sold my liter bike a couple of weeks ago ... let the guy test it AFTER I had the bank check (in my name) in hand and leaving me his vehicle while he was gone. It's just expected, even by me to get a chance to drive before you buy.

My Viper is making me RETHINK the way I sell vehicles, but I don't think my GTS is going on the market any time soon.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm selling my 2000 Paxton ACR and I don't think anyone but me will be driving it (hard at least) until it gets a new owner. I'm pretty sure that I don't have a lot of interest in having a stranger drive any of my modified Vipers - would you?

Ted

OP
OP

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm selling my 2000 Paxton ACR and I don't think anyone but me will be driving it (hard at least) until it gets a new owner. I'm pretty sure that I don't have a lot of interest in having a stranger drive any of my modified Vipers - would you?

Ted

I can understand that, BUT you would not be getting my money if I was interested in the car. Did you see my other post, thats why.

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I bought my Viper I knew I was not a "Viper expert". I had been reading this VCA web site for over a year before I bought my Viper. I was educated by Viper owners to know who was a Viper expert. So, I rode in the Viper with the seller to East Tulsa Dodge and had their Viper tech. say grace over it. If the Viper isn't new, or being sold by a Dodge dealer, it is a wise move to have an independent expert (Viper tech.) inspect it before the transaction. If the seller won't allow that, you don't want the car. In my case the seller was firm in not allowing "potential" buyers to drive the Viper before purchase. This did not hurt my feelings one bit. All of that to say this: I never drove my Viper before I bought it.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can understand that, BUT you would not be getting my money if I was interested in the car. Did you see my other post, thats why.

I don't see the problem. I drive the car and make it do what you want. Then you buy the car. I don't see how you would drive the car different enough that it would suddenly develop problems. If I knew you that would be different. If you drove up in a Viper, that would give me a reason to drive my Viper. But, no stranger just gets to test drive my "double stock hp" Viper just by asking. Dealers don't just let anyone test drive performance cars. Ringgold did that, but I suspect that they were hoping for a crash so that the insurance co. would buy the car?

I let my daughter and my son drive the car while I was in it. It's possible that you could convince me that YOU might need to drive my car, but if I don't know you and your bank account no way. My Roe car is different as it does not drive easily and NO one other than me is allowed more than half throttle. I'd really hate to have my car wrecked just to prove a point. Once you're putting out about 800rwtq no one is safe driving that car ... and I love it. Nearly crashed it a couple time when I lost control so I don't trust anyone else driving.

Anyone who thinks they can easily handle a heavily modified FI Viper is either referring to a Paxton or a very limited boost TT, not very smart, on a big ego trip or a top race car driver.

Maybe you read my article in Viper Magazine (So You Think You Know How To Drive?).

Ted

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never Never Never. Just my .02.
Take him for a ride yes.
Have local mechanic, VCA folks vouch for car yes.
Guess that is the benefit of deal trades.

usurbrain

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Problem is... for me.... my roomate had a 96 with a Roe, with a VECII. at WOT, the car was a beast. but part throttle, the car would **** around and be almost undriveable. I could make it drive nice, but it would require a lot of manipulation of the throttle pedal. I hated it. Thus, when I went to try 85 of 200's car, I had to make sure it didn't do that. I'd be PISSED if I bought a car that drove that crappily at part throttle. I showed 85 of 200 my bank accounts, and reassured him that the money was there, and 2. if I crash, I buy. I don't screw people. At least he trusted me, and everything went well. If he was a **** about it, I'd be pissed, especially since I flew from CA to MO to see the car.

Ironically, none of my friend's get to test drive the car unless they can afford to pay for it. I don't mind giving rides though.

I don't see the problem. I drive the car and make it do what you want. Then you buy the car. I don't see how you would drive the car different enough that it would suddenly develop problems. If I knew you that would be different. If you drove up in a Viper, that would give me a reason to drive my Viper. But, no stranger just gets to test drive my "double stock hp" Viper just by asking. Dealers don't just let anyone test drive performance cars. Ringgold did that, but I suspect that they were hoping for a crash so that the insurance co. would buy the car?

I let my daughter and my son drive the car while I was in it. It's possible that you could convince me that YOU might need to drive my car, but if I don't know you and your bank account no way. My Roe car is different as it does not drive easily and NO one other than me is allowed more than half throttle. I'd really hate to have my car wrecked just to prove a point. Once you're putting out about 800rwtq no one is safe driving that car ... and I love it. Nearly crashed it a couple time when I lost control so I don't trust anyone else driving.

Anyone who thinks they can easily handle a heavily modified FI Viper is either referring to a Paxton or a very limited boost TT, not very smart, on a big ego trip or a top race car driver.

Maybe you read my article in Viper Magazine (So You Think You Know How To Drive?).

Ted

OP
OP

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ted

The problem is for me that there are to many issues that the car can have and not felt without driving. I drove the ACR I just purchased. Wtihin the first 30 seconds I know everything was the way it should, then I drove it up to about 70 and made sure it tracked good. Again personal perference but I cannot believe anyone would but a car these days without driving it. Blows my mind.

crviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If it matters im talkking about an 80,000 viper not 20,000.

I sort of feel insulted cause I don't drive a $80k Viper. I don't think it would matter whether it was for $15k I would treat my car as if were $1m. Unless it's a daily ****** than that my only except to the rule.
A Viper is a Viper no matter how
Much it cost! When I bought mine the dealer definately road with me and would not let me take it out on my own. Which I don't blame him. But for one I would never sell it! Lol but if some crazy situation I did. I would let them drive only after I take them for a "conservative drive". Then ask if they Wanted to see what it is was all about then give them the "sport" drive. After that I would let them only drive it around the block or an open stretch with me in the car. I think that would be fair. And should be a mutual understanding between a seller and buyer. By no means would I ever let someone I don't know take my car alone for a spin! Besides my inssurance would have a filed day with that. That was pretty hard to get alone! Well at least the type of policy I have on it! Lol just my two cents on this topic! :)