Looked, Drove but did not purchase

tomscorvette

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I flew into JFK to look at the 03 with 11,000 miles on her. Interior was mint, exterior top side was nice accept for two chips in the hood, one in the upper fender. The bottom side front valance and under the side pipes was scratched, had chips and just terrible. The lip behind the front tires looked like it was sand blasted. i asked about the rims because the pictures look dull (he said they where shinny and nice) they where not good at all in fact the clear coat was peeling on most of the inside spokes. Rear tires where shot. Thank god I walked away. flying out to look at another 03 tomorrow that I hope is the one. thanks to everyone for their comments. :2tu:
Tom

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was this a VCA member's car? If not, why do folks make all this effort with non-VCA cars? Is it all about bargain hunting?

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The bottom side front valance and under the side pipes was scratched, had chips and just terrible. The lip behind the front tires looked like it was sand blasted. i asked about the rims because the pictures look dull (he said they where shinny and nice) they where not good at all in fact the clear coat was peeling on most of the inside spokes. Rear tires where shot.

IMO, not deal-breakers if the price was right. Was the car sound mechanically? My 03 had some of these issues (rear runflats were 7 years old and shot, front valence scraped underneath). Cosmetic issues can be corrected, mechanical is more problematic.

At any rate, it wasn't for you, so keep looking. Good luck, there are some deals to be found.

OP
OP
T

tomscorvette

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It just seemed like I was looking at a car with 30,000 on her rather than the 11,000 on the odometer :dunno: drove OK, had a little exhaust leak. The agreed price was $39,000 but after bringing up all of the issues he was going to throw $1,200 back at me. Glad I walked.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
unfortunately that sand blasting behind the front wheels is a common occurance

Markus is correct. I have some as well, but I bought mine with 23,000 miles. Except for the exhaust leak, I think the price he was offering is actually pretty reasonable. But what matters is that you were not comfortable, so you passed, which is cool.

I think though, that this is a deal for someone to jump on, but that's just my opinion. On any car with original runflats, you're going to have to budget in $2K for tire replacment, or deduct from the purchase price.

Scott

markus

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It just seemed like I was looking at a car with 30,000 on her rather than the 11,000 on the odometer :dunno: drove OK, had a little exhaust leak. The agreed price was $39,000 but after bringing up all of the issues he was going to throw $1,200 back at me. Glad I walked.
there are pristine vipers out there, eventually THE one will turn up. have you checked any of the ones for sale on here?

OP
OP
T

tomscorvette

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks, but it was worth the trip to drive it and compare each Viper first hand. I think I found that prestine Viper I am looking for. I am flying out tomorrow with cash in hand to possibly :drive: home an 03. I am so excited. now dealing with an older true blue private owner that only put on 1,000 miles in four years. this car has 8,000 miles on her and he say's looks brand new :2tu: I can only hope! If I purchase I will post pics and tell the story.
Tom

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sand Blasted sills and scratches underneath are common with mileage, and expected. Flaking wheels and exhaust leak are another matter.

On 03 the original run flats will most likely be hard and unsafe. Consider replacing them with non run flats like the newer cars. (Makes a huge difference in ride and handling)

Best of success finding the perfect car for you. The Viper experience is fantastic.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sand Blasted sills and scratches underneath are common with mileage, and expected. Flaking wheels and exhaust leak are another matter.

On 03 the original run flats will most likely be hard and unsafe. Consider replacing them with non run flats like the newer cars. (Makes a huge difference in ride and handling)

He speaks the truth. The Michelin ZPs on my car were 7 years old, and "seemed" OK, but they didn't pass PA inspection. The new Michelin PS2s make a world of difference. I too would have passed on this car with the exhaust leak.

Good luck, and keep us posted, and some pics if you get the car!

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you gonna drive it or have it as a Garage queen ? Hopefully you find the right one for you and enjoy what they are meant for to be driven not parked and looked at . Good luck in your search .

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
IMO, not deal-breakers if the price was right. Was the car sound mechanically? My 03 had some of these issues (rear runflats were 7 years old and shot, front valence scraped underneath). Cosmetic issues can be corrected, mechanical is more problematic.

At any rate, it wasn't for you, so keep looking. Good luck, there are some deals to be found.

I agree.... the price was right, or would not have flown to JFK? These "Normal" issues could be caused by rural driving. With $1500 off you could have added shiney-new-2010 six-spoke wheels, and still sold the boat-anchors for something...probably enuf to fix the under-chips? But if youre glad you walked (flew) go with your gut...but DONT accept RUN-CRAPS.

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With 29k on the clock my 03 looks flawless, but put it on a lift, and the side sills look like the car has 100k on it. Good luck with your purchase.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you keep trying to shop only by the lowest price you are going to get burned. If you did not like that car for $39,000 go a few thousand more and take a look at these two. And don't forget they both have thousands of extras on them that you will surely start buying anyway if they don't come with the car. The 5 spokes on Bernie's car make it look like this years model. And scratches under the front fascia and some sandblasting are completely normal.
Both these dealers have terrific reputations here.

2003 Black SRT/10- 8k miles - ViperClub Classifieds

2003 SRT Black/Black - ViperClub Classifieds

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Buying a "good deal" usually means buying a "not so good car". Although not as many there are some show and go cars out there. You could buy a $140,000 Viper for as low as $50,000 nowadays. Being your dream car get a good one and wear it out enjoying life. VOI 11 is the end of Sept and in Salt Lake City. Don't miss it.

Ted

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The 5 spokes on Bernie's car make it look like this years model. And scratches under the front fascia and some sandblasting are completely normal.
Both these dealers have terrific reputations here.

That's MY car! It's the one I bought from Bernie in April. Don't know why he still has it listed here.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wish i would of done this in April, i bought a nice car, but im dumping way to much money in it to get it perfect. At 52K miles i should of thought about my purchase more. Car is modded and runs great, but my 35K dollar purchase is turming out to be more like 40K. I flew into south Florida, and i felt stuck on buying. I should of walked, but oh well, you win some you lose some. Ive kinda grown fond of the car amd working on it. My next move is driving to Indian and another VCA member is going to fix my creeking window. Love this sight :)

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
walking on a car like that shows common sense. good for you !

never buy anything with your heart, always your head.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's good advice. I understand where Wikkid is coming from. My (so far, knock wood) has been very sound mechanically, my issues are cosmetic, some of which the Junkman fixed at Carlisle a couple weeks ago. My biggest expense (so far) has been a new set of PS2s. As mentioned above, Bernie Katz goes through the cars he sells, so you can be pretty sure of getting something decent from him.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heaven forbid someone actually drives a Viper.

If your going to collect it in a garage may as well add $15k to the search so you get a queen. I'm soooo glad my car had 50+k miles and clear coat peeling here and there. I had parts repainted to look fresh and new, even get compliments on if it is a new Viper and it's a 98.

I plan on changing the paint to a complete different color because I don't ever want to let this baby go. Drive it, or Hide it, no one will see your rock chips and peeling paint in the GARAGE!!!

Don't worry too much on peel, chips, scratches so much as actual running condition. Well, you could have the most beautiful appearance but it wont start... again, perfect for the garage! =D

FEDBYVORTECH

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If I knew you were at JFK I would of drove my 04 Mamba over. Mine has 20k. No exhaust leaks no wheel peeling. No scraps under the valence. Sounds like the car was not taken care of. Before you fly anywhere you should get a ton of pictures from all sorts of angles. I dont understand why at 20k the wheels are peeling. Maybe they used some kind of wheel cleaner. I have not even washed mine in at least 2 years. Just calif duster. I would look for one that is under warranty. Some of them came with a 7 year 70k. Than you really have no mechanical worries. I have flown to be cars a bunch of times. I guess I have always been lucky.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am not surprised to see more posts like this. As the prices drop, so will the average condition of these cars. They have become more attainable by the average non enthusiasts who just buy it and beat it for a year and dump it for something else.

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a car still under warranty, and in the perfect condition you're seeking, then systematically turned it into the car you RAN from by driving it. Within the first month of ownership I drove it from Los Angeles to northern Aberta (racked up some actual miles), drove it on imperfect and dirty roads(sandblasted the sills), drove it normal following distances in traffic(glinted the windshield), and my personal favorite, drove at my driveway at not enough angle(scraped under the front facia).:mad:

I'm sure glad it was perfect when I bought it.:omg:

In all seriousness though, the only thing abnormal with that car with any mileage would be the wheels peeling.:2tu:

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Support the VCA and look at cars on the website. Find a car with an exteneded warranty and have it inspected.

I have customers looking to sell cars that I have serviced and would be happy to refer you directly to them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32