Looking for different car... May sell/trade my 03...

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It just seems like I don't drive my 03 enough to justify keeping it. There are several reasons: not good daily driver, hard to get in and out of (yes, getting old with bad back), etc.

I have always been a 60's early 70's muscle car guy. I prefer many of those cars over the Viper--just preference. However, I don't want to go back to those because I like some creature comforts, better handling & braking performance.

I do like something unique, so Vette is out I suppose. I've always had unique cars for where I live. When everyone was driving Camaros in HS I had the only Charger. After college I had a Conquest Tsi when others had an RX7, etc. So, I would like something newer, somewhat unique, a little easier to drive, and a head turner. There has to be something out there, but I sure can't think of it???

RPHJR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how about prowler? I know they are a little light on power, but you had a conquest and an rx7 . seats are pretty plush also. And Id think it has less of a ditch, to climb out of, than the viper

I just saw a yellow (2000?) a few days back, and it looked pretty darn cool going down the road. 60's look, 2000's comforts..

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
price range :dunno:

:eater:

Well, kind of depends on what I can get for my car. I would supppose I could get low $40s for it (18K miles excellent condition). It is paid for so all of the money would go directly to the new car. I could add some if it seems like the right thing.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How about a SRT8 Charger or Challenger? I absolutely love my 07 6.1 car, and the new 6.4s are even faster. Cool, fast, and handle and perform very well.

I show my SRT8 almost every weekend.

SRT8&10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I second a new Challenger. I have a Hemi orange '09. It is not what I consider "fast", but it gets as many compliments and attention as the Viper (if not more because of the color). If I didn't love the Hemi orange so much, I would consider trading it in for a new 6.4L. It can even hold its own on a road course, honestly. Overall, a great car to drive daily, yet still pretty rare, so it can also be a car to take to cruises and such.

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I second a new Challenger. I have a Hemi orange '09. It is not what I consider "fast", but it gets as many compliments and attention as the Viper (if not more because of the color). If I didn't love the Hemi orange so much, I would consider trading it in for a new 6.4L. It can even hold its own on a road course, honestly. Overall, a great car to drive daily, yet still pretty rare, so it can also be a car to take to cruises and such.

Thought about a Challenger. I would love to have one and supercharge it and have a shaker hood installed. I even like the 'cuda front end that autoform does.

My wife has a 2010 SRT-8 Challenger 6-speed in black. She drives it to work everyday that it is nice.

Maybe I need to price one, the supercharger install, and the hood. I wish I could just find one like that somewhere and trade.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only answer here is a resto-modded muscle car...they make too many of everything new (except Vipers :)) You despise the old technology, but love the timeless style...combine the two and you're good to go.

tcsracing1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Easy.
Look at a new Porsche 991 Carrera S.
Or for less money you could look at a Porsche 997 Carrera GTS.

The porsches are easy to live with and make great daily drivers.

tcsracing1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also do not overlook the 2012 and especially 2013 shelby mustang. They are easy to get in and out of and are a fun car with a special allure. Great daily driver.

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only answer here is a resto-modded muscle car...they make too many of everything new (except Vipers :)) You despise the old technology, but love the timeless style...combine the two and you're good to go.

Hank, that would be perfect. I do not want to go through the stress of overseeing such a project, so I would have to find one already done. Guess I would have to start researching--open to ideas for where a person could find such a car. Mopar of course!

06blueviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not much compares to the Viper, but the Ford Shelby GT500 with 662 horsepower would be a good option.

MSRP
$54,200 - $59,200
Invoice
$49,458 - $54,020

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also do not overlook the 2012 and especially 2013 shelby mustang. They are easy to get in and out of and are a fun car with a special allure. Great daily driver.

Must be that special allure that makes Rustangs so common on the road. :smirk:

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are looking for a Muscle Car from the 60's and 70's i have a 1968 Coronet R/T that i have pondered trading for a Viper.

Bruce

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bruce, it would have to be a resto-modded type car. I don't want to go back to the old brakes, etc. As a matter of fact, I traded my 1970 Super Bee to John Gastman at Roanoke for my first Viper. I got sick of no pwer steering, no air, bad brakes, poor handling, etc. So, I would love to get back into a muscle car, but it would have to be a modernized one. Thanks.

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, done a lot of searching for resto-rods... They are either $100K or more, or just thrown together crap. Well, I'll have to look at another alternative.

tcsracing1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, done a lot of searching for resto-rods... They are either $100K or more, or just thrown together crap. Well, I'll have to look at another alternative.

Well, if the Shelby dosnt make the cut, and you would consider a resto mod for around the same price, i got the car for you.....

How would you like a 1970 Cuda resto mod with a 2010 6.1lL Hemi fuel injected motor and your choice of suspension, brakes, A/C, wheels and transmission?

vbzatty

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about going in a whole new direction and trying out something Italian? I have a few Italian cars and love them. They are exotic, turn as many heads as the Viper, have an exhaust note that IMHO trumps even the Viper, but are more user friendly. Look at the Maserati Gransport ($40-50k) or a Ferrari 550 ($70-80k). Both are true GT cars so they are comfortable, easy to get in/out of, but still offer amazing performance.

Colby

cujo200231

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about a Mitusbishi Evo. It seems to hold its own in all the road and track type comparisons and is kind of different. Kind of like the GT-R, either you love it or hate it.

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/jsp/evo/12/build.do

The Evo is a great car. It is the perfect blend of performance and practicality. The Viper being just a toy, I wanted something that was practical (Was supposed to drive the car all year round, but i loved to the so much that i drive my 98 neon in the rain and snow) and performed well. After test driving a 335xi since I thought I wanted one, It was a nice car, but I figured I'd give the Evo a shot before dumping all that money on a BMW. Im glad I did. Amazing Handling and a quick car. With a tune and bolt ons, which is you will have a very quick car that just hooks up and goes. Plus you have the option of a true manual or a 6 speed paddle shift.

If you dont mind going from american muscle with gobs of NA power to pocket rocket with boosted power, take one for for a test drive.

I like true 5/6 speeds, so thats why I didnt car for the GTR. Another car that I heard is a well rounded car is an Audi R8. Maybe a used one of those?

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check out a Panoz Roadster. Ford Cobra engine, lots of Ford pieces, easy to work on, and very unique.