Looking for Gen 3 with blown motor

womsterr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking for a Gen 3 with a blown motor. I know its a stretch of course since most engine work would be covered under warranty.But I figured I'd reach anway.

Looking for a new project!

Thanks...T

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Ummm... Project?

Sorry, but if you're looking for a cheap method of getting your hands on a Gen3 you're taking the wrong approach. Considering the motor is probably the cheapest component of the car right now (at a scant $7-12k) the chances of finding someone dense enough to make it worth your wild is pretty slim. Most of these guys know its a fairly straight forward fix and a numbers mismatching SRT is still worth near market value.

My advice is to watch ebay and wait for a wreck to pass through - who knows you might be able to pick one up without frame damage for less than $40k.

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
amazing.......do you thing the non FE coupe's will drop like that over the course of 3 years?

FE or non-FE, all the coupe prices will drop like this.
Look at the Mamba prices. Remember the mark-up on them when they DC first released them. Now they go for regular "non-Mamba" prices. Same deal with copperheads. Wait until they release the "Anaconda" version of the Coupe. Then, all the regular Coupe prices will come down substantially.

3 years and 7,065 miles knocked $30,000 on this beautiful Red SRT-10 with silver stripes. It's going for $51,000 - $55,000. I wonder how much they paid in 2003 to buy it brand new when it was very hard to get a hand on these SRT-10's.

DC wrecked the resale value on all the GEN 3's with f*cked up marketing. You will find GEN 2's, especially GTS and ACR's, going for much more $$ than the Gen 3's.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
amazing.......do you thing the non FE coupe's will drop like that over the course of 3 years?

Okay, I'm not seeing what you're asking here. Will the Gen2 (FE) coupes drop in value like this? Probably not, the market stablized late last year and prices are holding their own, especially on the FEs. Gen2 buyers are willing to pay extra for the Gen2 styling I guess. Will the Gen3 Coupe prices fall like this? Well, right now its 50/50. If this turns out to be the last year for the Gen3 then its possible for the car to become one of the most sought after. If DC tries one if its above mentioned "special edition" deals to stave off the Gen4 then I would definiatly expect to see the same depreciation that the softops are now seeing.

Either way, with the car deprecating like they are there really is no value in buying a wrecked srt yet. Save $10k on a wreck today, or save $15k in the fall price crunch on new.

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is a great deal on a pretty sharp car. Reserve is probably 53 or so which is basically what the car would bring at a dealer auction.

OP
OP
W

womsterr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Sorry, but if you're looking for a cheap method of getting your hands on a Gen3 you're taking the wrong approach. "

Well, thanks for the pearls of wisdom but I've purchased an SRT like this once already and I'm confident I'll find another.

Many folks don't want to bother the time and energy of a rebuild. I will be tossing out all internals and machining the block as soon as I get it...

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, I think Bonkers speaks from history with regards to buying a wreck. Preaching from within a glass house is what is sounds like.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
GR8 - ???

Preaching?? I might be reading that wrong (seriously,) but if you are trying to take a *** shot at me I'd like to know what you're basis is? I've never regreted buying my car for a minute - best decision I've ever made, but I have never promoted buying wrecked cars, to anyone, either. So i'm not sure where the preaching comment (and really don't get where the glass house reference) comes in to play. Please enlighten me.

womsterr - well then, I guess since you have all this knowledge and experince about wrecked vipers it must seem like a real insult for someone like me to attempt to help out a fellow member of your stature. You have my word I won't bother you with my pearls of wisdom from this point on.

OP
OP
W

womsterr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
arrghh...DUDE...wasn't asking for advice. Was and still am looking for the subject of this thread. I didn't claim to be a know it all or anything else. Your posts are abrasive and then you respond like this when somone responds in kind.

Grow up.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
This is how I read it - "Well, thanks for the pearls of wisdom :rolleyes: but..."

People come here all the time asking for Flood, Salavge, Junk titled cars as a cheap way of getting into a Viper. You have a very low post count and nothing in your original post mentions anything about doing this before, therefore I made a well educated guess that you were looking for a cheap SRT and responded accordingly.

Had you said "Oh, the last motor didn't work out.." or "I'm only looking for the block..." ect... my first reply would have been more on the lines of "How much do you want to spend and how bad of a motor are you willing to accept?"

As for being abrasive - yeah I know that too well, but I'm not going to change, sorry.

I have leads on cars all over the country in various states of... disintergration. Lets start back at the begining, are you looking for a motor, a car, a car with a blown motor, or something else??

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bonkers, the reasons he wants a car with a blown motor (he made that pretty clear above) are his. To question his reasoning is not very nice. An inquiry, sure, but to start spouting advice isn't very good.

I know if I was going to build a race car with a modified engine I might want to start with one with a blown motor, as the stock motor may be of no value.

But what I cannot understand is how you of all people can be critical of buying into the Viper at a low price based on something being wrong with the car. Isn't that exactly what you did? Why is it okay for you and not someone else? I think that is where the glass house line comes from (people in glass houses should not throw stones - ever hear it?).

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have a very low post count ........

Bonk, what does womsterr's post count have anything to do with the post? The title being "Looking for Gen 3 with blown motor." If you know of one, let him know about it and if you don't click on by. Would your response have been any different if he wrote "Looking for a GTS burnt to a crisp"?

I have leads on cars all over the country in various states of... disintergration. Lets start back at the begining, are you looking for a motor, a car, a car with a blown motor, or something else??

This should clarify things....."Looking for Gen 3 with a blown motor"

womsterr, good luck with your hunt and post details on your project. Bonk, thanks for the entertainment. :D

OP
OP
W

womsterr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Listen...lets move on. I carry no grudges and hope you do the same.

I'm looking for a roller to start with. Whether it has a blown motor or NO motor I dont really care. I don't want a wreck though...to expensive...too many unknowns...usually has a bad title.

I'll keep looking...

Thanks for keeping this thread on the top!

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny, I had to read a long way through this thread before I figured out that "blown" meant destroyed, not supercharged.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
But what I cannot understand is how you of all people can be critical of buying into the Viper at a low price based on something being wrong with the car. Isn't that exactly what you did? Why is it okay for you and not someone else? I think that is where the glass house line comes from (people in glass houses should not throw stones - ever hear it?).

Yes I did hear of it, but I have never been critical of anyone rebuilding a viper - ever, which is why I'm a little miffed at being accused of such a thing. I would love it if every single viper was rebuilt after a crash just to keep them alive. The truth of the matter is that its almost never cheaper or easier to go wrecked viper, especially with the SRTs since they are still depreciating baddly. Finacially speaking it would be easier and cheaper to simply buy a high miles SRT, stake out ebay for a NR 2003, or simply wait for the market to stablize.

Just trying to save the guy a cool $5000 (or more) and a few weekends of busted knuckles. If you're like me and have no issue throwing thousands of dollars away for the privlage of driving a vehicle with a branded title then I will be more than happy to help you out, always have been. You reasons for asking are a moot point to me - if you come here looking for a cheap viper will be the first one to tell you it isn't so - that's what I learned living in my glass garage.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Funny, I had to read a long way through this thread before I figured out that "blown" meant destroyed, not supercharged.

LOL, ME TOO ! I thot he wanted to buy a Supercharged SRT10!

And I buy dismantelers with some regularity, but the thread title had me fooled for a bit....

OP
OP
W

womsterr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea I could see how you would read it that way.

In the South we would say "blow'd up" ;)

I've done PLENTY of that.

I don't need the motor...I need the car...and maybe a block and crank...everything else get tossed!

Went and saw a set of the Stryker heads today....VERY nice...ordered a set today and now have extra Jesel Rollers for a stock head I need to sell.

Once I'm done with the truck the hope is to build a huge hp TT Gen 3 Viper.