Looking For Some Advice and Opinions

mclarengts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im thinking about scrapping my 2010 charger SRT and going after my affordable dream car, a 2006 coupe. so I'm looking to talk to some owners for a realistic comparison between the charger and Viper .. other than speed, what can I expect? Ive heard its not a daily driver, but how true is that for the true car lover. I love my charger and I would hate to sell it to chase a dream and not be happy when I get it... that's what I'm afraid of. Has any one here owned a charger SRT and a viper?

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Im thinking about scrapping my 2010 charger SRT and going after my affordable dream car, a 2006 coupe. so I'm looking to talk to some owners for a realistic comparison between the charger and Viper .. other than speed, what can I expect? Ive heard its not a daily driver, but how true is that for the true car lover. I love my charger and I would hate to sell it to chase a dream and not be happy when I get it... that's what I'm afraid of. Has any one here owned a charger SRT and a viper?

I currenly own both. I have a 2007 Charger SRT8 Superbee, and a 2003 Viper. Both great cars. However, as (perceived) fast as the SRT8, the Viper is a whole 'nother ball game. I have often thought about selling/trading both for a Gen 4, but I cannot justify it. I can't use the power, nor drive my Gen 3 to its potential, and I would miss the Bee too much. PM me if you want more info.

PS - I bought the Charger (build date 9/06) new in February 2007, and have 23,000 miles on it now. Bought the 03 Viper in April 2010, with 23,000 miles on her. Neither one is a daily driver (I have a 2013 Dart 1.4 Turbo for that), but if I could only keep ONE car (gun to my head) it would be SRT8. Gulp - can't believe I said that on the Viper forums. However, barring unforseen circumstance (money, health), I hope to ALWAYS have a Viper in the stable, maybe a Gen 4 ACR at some future point.

viper srt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Go for it !!

I own 2008 coupe, with boltson mods and have no problem at all, daily use all the way

Viper is completely deferent than any other sport cars in the world

I used to own 2010 corvette grand sport, I tried Zo6 and Shelby and I can tell u that Viper is different story

U will love it

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I should clarify my reply. If I were in your position, and the Viper is going to be your "toy" in place of the SRT8 - , hell yes, go for it!!

OP
OP
M

mclarengts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
swexlin;3239229rrenly own both. I have a 2007 Charger SRT8 Superbee said:
Yea man this is my second one first was a 2007, then I got the 2010, and put a Kenne Bell on it and Air Bags. So I was thinking going back to stock, selling the Bags and KB move the car and then hunt down the Viper. But having the charger from day one makes it hard to let it go.

Go for it !!

I own 2008 coupe, with boltson mods and have no problem at all, daily use all the way

Viper is completely deferent than any other sport cars in the world

I used to own 2010 corvette grand sport, I tried Zo6 and Shelby and I can tell u that Viper is different story

U will love it

I bet it is Ive been hearing that.. I got a little sample when I rode in an ACR at the SRT Track Experience. .....It was pretty much the bomb

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you had a blower on your SRT8, then speed-wise, it's not going to be AS big of a jump. However, the Viper is a road-course driver's car, and as good as the SRT8 is handling wise (for its size and weight) again, the Viper is another story. However, you must drive it at all times. It will not tolerate idiocy. I always tell people that the car will do what you tell it to do. If you tell it to do something stupid, it will do something stupid. However, if you really drive it, it can be a very rewarding experience.

OP
OP
M

mclarengts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah it has a KB 2.8LC..
Are they really that hard to loose control of? I mean I enjoy some rolling burnouts in 1st and 2nd.. in a straight line.. I dont play in turns to much...

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah it has a KB 2.8LC..
Are they really that hard to loose control of? I mean I enjoy some rolling burnouts in 1st and 2nd.. in a straight line.. I dont play in turns to much...

No, they aren't hard at all to lose control. WOT in 1st and 2nd and you had better be pointed straight and then it's dicey. In the five years I owned my 08 ACR I only lost it once and that was on an on-ramp shifting between 2nd and third. I sat it sideways so fast you couldn't blink but got it back as soon as I got off it.

OP
OP
M

mclarengts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ment to say are they really that easy to loose control of... I see so many wrecked... that part is a turn off.. cause it seems like you cant goof off any

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I ment to say are they really that easy to loose control of... I see so many wrecked... that part is a turn off.. cause it seems like you cant goof off any

Correct, that is what we are saying. You cannot "goof off". I've done a couple stupid things in my SRT8 where the traction control helped me. In the Viper, it would have been bad. I'm not a good enough driver to handle my Viper anywhere near it's potential, but it is STILL a heap o' fun!

Even after the PS2s are warmed up, there is so much torque, you need to be aware at all times.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go for it. Probally the sickest car you can buy in the world for 50k

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At first you buy the Viper and are very worried, and it feels odd with the incredibly long hood, sitting practically on the rear wheels... but then after a few weeks, you just drive it like a Honda Accord. It feels just like any ordinary car. At that point, yes, its a daily driver. Even this debate about the car spinning - it has a pretty high threshold of performance. You have to REALLY try to get in trouble, and then I guess all bets are off. Save the heroics for a track or really open parking lot.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't get the wrong idea from some of these posts. They are just telling you that you must be aware of what you are doing in a Viper to keep yourself out of trouble.

On the other hand, there are few cars that can provide that Direct Connection between driver and car. Vipers are designed to carry out your commands, and at a very high and exciting level.

Like firing a machine gun. In capable hands it can provide a high level of capability, however in untalented and inexperienced hands it can get away from you.

Driving a 600 hp, V-10 Sports car is a different level than in a 400 hp V-8 4 door sedan.

Just take some time to get used to it. You do not just turn the key and floor the gas. You need additional situational awareness as things tend to happen much quicker in a Viper than a Charger. You will be quicker than everyone around you, and this gives you tremendous control over your placement on the road. You need to get some time behind the wheel to know if your tires will stick in a corner, and how much throttle they can handle depending on road conditions and the condition of your tires.

In other words, you gotta be heads up when you decide you want to unleash the snake.

Don't be a Justin Beiber

For those who have spent some times at the controls, we just want you to be aware.

Black Adder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I owned a 06 vert - daily driver, absolutely, for 4 years rain and shine, even in the snow once, my wife and I even drove across country (2700 miles) in it in 6 days. It had corsa exhausts so not the quietest but no complaints.
The one BIG improvement I made to mine is getting rid of the run flat tires. A lot of stories about the car swopping ends is due to those tires, get some super sports or PS2, the ride and the handling will be MUCH better

Getnlwr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've driven the SRT8 Challenger and Charger, along with a couple other SRT's. There is NOTHING like the SRT10. It is by far the best of the SRT line up and it's the flagship for reasons other than price. You get a lot of car for an affordable price.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't get the wrong idea from some of these posts. They are just telling you that you must be aware of what you are doing in a Viper to keep yourself out of trouble.

On the other hand, there are few cars that can provide that Direct Connection between driver and car. Vipers are designed to carry out your commands, and at a very high and exciting level.

Like firing a machine gun. In capable hands it can provide a high level of capability, however in untalented and inexperienced hands it can get away from you.

Driving a 600 hp, V-10 Sports car is a different level than in a 400 hp V-8 4 door sedan.

Just take some time to get used to it. You do not just turn the key and floor the gas. You need additional situational awareness as things tend to happen much quicker in a Viper than a Charger. You will be quicker than everyone around you, and this gives you tremendous control over your placement on the road. You need to get some time behind the wheel to know if your tires will stick in a corner, and how much throttle they can handle depending on road conditions and the condition of your tires.

In other words, you gotta be heads up when you decide you want to unleash the snake.

Don't be a Justin Beiber

For those who have spent some times at the controls, we just want you to be aware.

Pauls comment is the best one here. And I say this as someone who literally gets out of the SRT8 and then gets into the SRT10, and vice versa. Both rewarding cars, in different ways.

dester243

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you need the extra back seats ? Also interior wise the viper will be a lot tighter. Have you sat in one yet? Getting in and out of a viper takes a little extra finesse compared to a regular vehicle.

I think the BEST thing to do is see if can drive one first to see if it's something you even like. It's really not a car for everyone. But as others have said.... I've also owned other RWD sports cars like a corvette and it really does nothing for me compared to the thrill I get everytime I drive the viper

viper srt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Don't be a Justin Beiber

Completely agree,

Viper is unlike any other Sport cars where u have traction control or some other safety features, In the Viper u r the traction control, and as Paul mentioned , it will carry your command

but its fun, really its. I remember when we finished a class with lecturer, I took him for a ride to his hotel with my Viper, he was just completely in Silent mode when I accelerate:omg:

and then he said, "what a machine, its feels like it wants all other vehicles to go away" lol

I recommend u to test drive first if possible, then decide, for me it was an easy decision.

Good Luck

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you need a car, the Viper is terrible. Probably one of the worst things you could get.

If you are looking for the most fun, captivating thrill ride that will change the way you perceive life, .....
.....Viper.

Absolutely not for everybody.
Vipers are for crazy people.
I also have an SRT8 Challenger and a C6 Corvette. Have driven a bunch of other whatever cars.
The Viper is not like anything else. It is not a car, it is an experience like no other.
The Viper demands 100% attention at all times, and you love it for that attribute.

Take it out on the racetrack, and you will never be the same after that.
When driving on the streets, you must watch out for cops.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yeah,........ if you are contemplating a Viper because you think it's a really 'nice car', or something like that, you are wrong.

The Viper is a pissed-off monster.

.............if you want a really nice sports car, get a Corvette. -They are nice. I love mine.
But it is the exact opposite of the Viper.

As a car guy, I suppose I am Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde.

Cannibal

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you decide to by a viper I would first go and take an road racing course. Bondurant School of Racing is a good one if your anywhere near Phoenix. I didn't when I bought mine and it took
many hours of careful seat time to get used to the creature. I got out of a 9 sec drag Cuda thinking "no problem", I was very wrong. These cars are totally different from any thing out there.
I take a ride once in a while in my neighbor's Z06 and am bored before the ride is over. The Corvette is a a very nice car, my viper is an animal. If you buy one and learn to drive and respect it's power you will love and fear it.

labtec

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All above comments regarding the Viper's power and handling are correct. Rule number 1 with a Viper is “throttle modulation”. If you violate this rule the Viper will be glad to remind you of your error…..very quickly:omg: Another rule is wheels straight when learning rule number 1:nono: The Viper demands respect but will reward you with an incredible driving experience:D

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I think one of the big issues is more that a Viper has enough power to get you in trouble at much higher speeds. You can goose it around town and between stoplights and light the tires with a quick stab of the throttle like any other high power RWD sports car without inherent fear of the thing instantly pulling a 180, but when it can haze the tires on an on/off ramp at 80 it gives you a different perspective (to me at least). It also doesn't have to wind up to have power like a lot of other cars. My gen 3 makes 450+ ft-lbs of torque from 2000 rpm and up while most other cars don't even hit that at peak. Think of it like nitrous, you hit the button for a big jolt of power all of the sudden, except the button happens to be the throttle pedal and it does it all the time. You don't crank the wheel and stab the gas to throw it around a corner, you ease on the gas and see how much it can take and be ready to back off.

All that said, I daily drive mine no problems in pretty much all weather. I figure the more I drive it the more used to it I'll be and prepared in case I have to pull an evasive move or something. Put around 20k miles on it in the year I've owned it through pouring rain, sub zero weather, and 100+ degree days with no issues. Snow is the one thing that will keep it in place as I found a 1/4" dusting was enough to practically immobilize the car. It is a little awkward to get in and out of from time to time, but that really doesn't bother me much. Gas mileage is decent for an engine this large (17 mpg average for my commute), and noise/vibration is pretty tolerable. For a car nut I'd say it's no problem to deal with, though physical build can be an issue for some. I'm a skinnier guy (6' 180 lbs), and I think it fits me pretty well, though I do feel just a tad too tall from time to time. I know I can get a seat lowering kit, but I just haven't worried about it for now.

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 2010 ACR has been my daily driver for almost 2 years. 12k miles on it now. No regrets at all. I work from home though, and avoid driving it in snow, so "daily driver" might mean something slightly different for you. If I had a 30+ min commute in stop-and-go traffic, it would not be my daily driver.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
My 2010 ACR has been my daily driver for almost 2 years. 12k miles on it now. No regrets at all. I work from home though, and avoid driving it in snow, so "daily driver" might mean something slightly different for you. If I had a 30+ min commute in stop-and-go traffic, it would not be my daily driver.

I think stop-and-go is probably the big thing I keep forgetting about as well. My daily drive is early morning and early afternoon with very little traffic and probably 2/3 highway. I'd agree that lugging around town in busy traffic would be pretty frustrating in a high performance car, though you can still do it without any worries. That kind of driving ***** no matter what you're in unfortunately.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper