Michelin PS2 vs. Pirelli "P-Zero"

sss620

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Which tire has better performance, ride and look ?

Looking to buy new tires and I am getting mixed reviews on the PS2.

Thanks

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd give Dan at Viper Specialty a call. I've made some inquiries with him about iForged wheels and SRT brakes for my GTS, and when the discussion came to tires he had me leaning toward the Pirelli. He does post here and maybe he'll just chime in on his own. If not, here's his web site.

Viper Specialty Performance

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Thanks

I have NOT seen any 'mixed reviews' on PS2-Viper....

OE sizes? The SRT10 engineers at VOI-10 were very specific on why they chose Michelin PS-2 for 2008. No bones about it...... I think the Bugatti Veryon has em as OE DESPITE the Italian heritage. The only Veryon I ever saw has PS2. Sport Cups are a few hundred $ higher, and much stickier, and NOT a great cold-wet choice.

I have driven P-Zero and PS-2. The confidence that PS-2 gives you (and the STATS) would say PS-2. P-Zero is older technology as well. I also got caught WET on P-Zero and it was very scary.... PS2 is phenominal in the wet....

LOOKS are not a factor for me....... but I like the Asymetrical look of both tires.

Talk to LUKE at TIRERACK ext 362 for a pro-pinion...... and when you finally CHOOSE, PartsRack can save you $50-$60 /set, THANKS!

Last edited:

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went from old Michelins to the new PS2 and all I can say is "WOW" - what a difference. Dry, wet, road, track - exceptional handling.

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks

I have P-Zero Rosso's on my Gallardo. Nice tires that grip very well but I have never had any tires ware out as fast as the P-Zeros.

Last edited:

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I P-Zero Rosso's on my Gallardo. Nice tires that grip very well but I have never had any tires ware out as fast as the P-Zeros.

sounds like you havn't experienced the PS2 yet;)

The PS2 is better than the Rosso across the board.

They didn't las as long as the Rosso's though, I got 12K out of the P zeros and about 7k out of the PS2's.

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My Pzeros, while I loved them, only lasted a little over 5k. My PS2's are still kicking at 7k. For the money I would got with the PS2's. JMHO.:)

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How about the new PS2 runflats?

The regular PS2 rocks, loved it. Then I switched to the new PS2 runflat in 19/20". It works great too. Was very pleased with it. Night and day difference over old runflat. I even think the new PS2 Zp felt better in corners then the regular PS2 does.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The regular PS2 rocks, loved it. Then I switched to the new PS2 runflat in 19/20". It works great too. Was very pleased with it. Night and day difference over old runflat. I even think the new PS2 Zp felt better in corners then the regular PS2 does.

Mike, your Tire Dealer must LOVE you !!

With Love,

JonB

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Like someone else asked "what tire size are you looking for?" I don't think the p-zero comes in a stock rear size. If you go 20" in the rear the p-zero looks alittle better than the ps-2. if i remember correctly mike had some pics of his car with a couple different tires.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mike, your Tire Dealer must LOVE you !!

With Love,

JonB

Well, I know I love my tire dealer. Best tire prices around, "Parts Rack" for all you Viper needs, including tires. I wouldnt buy my PS2's anywhere else. :2tu:

Parisianviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have NOT seen any 'mixed reviews' on PS2-Viper....
I think the Bugatti Veryon has em as OE DESPITE the Italian heritage. The only Veryon I ever saw has PS2.

Sorry Jon, but Bugatti has always been French, despite the italian name, at least before it was bought by VW.

Last edited:

Parisianviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Veyron is built in Modena, Italy
Nope, it's built in Molsheim, Alsace France. Bugatti Automobiles SAS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bugatti Automobiles S.A.S. is a French automobile manufacturer located in the French town of Molsheim, Alsace, France. It is a subsidiary of the German automotive industry conglomerate and holding company - Volkswagen Group, but is officially owned by Volkswagen France[1]. It was founded in 1998 as a successor to the legendary Bugatti company.

Ferraris maybe...

Last edited:

SmoknTires

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can help solve this mystery.

I've been through many sets of Pirelli's and Michelin's over the past 15 years on my Vipers (all gen's). I've had the opportunity to test many, many tires myself and have also had the privelege with discussion this subject in details with SRT engineers and a couple tire manufacturers. I know for a fact that the Michelin's are a better tire for the Viper, not just by it's design, but also by it's compound.

Dave666 mentioned he was being steered toward Pirelli's, but I'd be cautious. Speak with those who have owned them, and especially if they tracked them.

My experience. The Pirelli's scrub away much quicker AND take longer to heat up. The lateral grip of the tire is less than the Michelin's. Also make note that right now, in 19's (not only is there a backorder of Pirelli - which is common) but the UTQG of the Front vs rears is different if buying (what I assume you'll go with Rosso) is 220 Front/140 Rear. Keep an eye on it depending on the size you need, you may not have a choice with it.

Aside from the tire itself, be careful getting into too short a sidewall, this is what you'll have with the Pirelli's (especially the rear - and especially if you plan on 20's). Yes the Pirelli looks good on the rear wheel, because it comes in a 355. Great for looks, but adds up to worse performance, and it's significant. Keep in mind your tire is part of your suspension, that sidewall does more than take up space. The shorter sidewall is nice, but...

Hands down, the Michelin is DEFINITELY a great tire. Yes stay away from the run flats, and make SURE you get the OE Michelin tires. There are identical sizes for the Michelin PS/2's in a "non-viper" tire, one is a "Viper OE" the other is not. Look for the letters "C1" on the sidewall, that's the "Viper Michelin" - don't just look at the size. You'd be surprised how many Vipers get new tires and don't have the Viper PS/2 on it. It actually has a different compound in it. Just look for the C1.

Last note on Pirelli's. A few sets ago, I needed new tires at the track. Tire rack had them in stock so I literally sped down there to have a new set put on and sped back to the track. I didn't heat cycle them properly, just drove 100 miles and put it back out on the track. The rear tires began to chunk out, little bits of it were coming off the tire. There went $1100, the tire was out of balance with no hope of gettnig them in spec. I've done this many times with the Michelin's and never had an issue. Fast forward a year later on a new set of Pirelli's (again PZero Rosso). This just happened this weekend at a track event at Autobahn... The Inside rear tire blew out during a sweeper. It let go on the inside sidewall. Barely saved the car (but I think I soiled myself), almost hit the gaurdrail. That's gonna be it for Pirelli's for me. I was a die hard Pirelli fan, but switching between the two, I've truly tested them. I'm tired of the back ordering, UTQG mismatch in Viper sizes, low sidewalls, and harder compound. I usually don't have a strong opinion unless I'm sure of it, in this case... I've stayed in Pirelli too long as it was.

I agree with most of the gang who have posted here. The PS/2's are excellent. As Jon B said, you rarely hear a mixed review of the new PS/2's. It's one of the hottest tires out there.

And for those who care, as always, Jon reacted quickly and I have a new set of Forgeline's ont eh way, with MICHELIN meat on them. Thanks Jon for always being supportive, sharing that knowledge, and reacting quickly. Don't reinvent the wheel, go with the guy who has the most knowledge, most people buy from, and just happens to have the best prices (I'm not kidding, he was cheaper than tire rack).

Hope this helps.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
.......I've been through many sets of Pirelli's and Michelin's over the past 15 years on my Vipers (all gen's). I've had the opportunity to test many, many tires myself and have also had the privelege with discussion this subject in details with SRT engineers and a couple tire manufacturers...........

Dave666 mentioned he was being steered toward Pirelli's, but I'd be cautious. Speak with those who have owned them, and especially if they tracked them.

Keep in mind your tire is part of your suspension, that sidewall does more than take up space. The shorter sidewall is nice, but...

Last note on Pirelli's. ............. on a new set of Pirelli's (again PZero Rosso). This just happened this weekend at a track event at Autobahn... The Inside rear tire blew out during a sweeper. It let go on the inside sidewall. Barely saved the car (but I think I soiled myself), almost hit the gaurdrail. That's gonna be it for Pirelli's for me......

...and I do KNOW that you watch your pressures and tread as if your life depends on them.......The INSIDE Pirelli shoulder blew on a high-speed sweeper? {You, and 1/3 of NASCAR at Taladaga...sure its not a Goodyear?!?} HOLY CRAAP! Very scary....
Forgeline's and PS2 on the way, THANKS. YOUR SKILLS SAVED YOU, BIG-TIME

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the shorter sidewall(smaller aspect ratio) is not always better look at Formula1, NASCAR, INDY car, CHAMP cars they all have fat(high aspect ratio) tires that are an itegral part of the cars suspension this give and flex has been "figured" in to the way the car handles the cars shock and other suspension calibration has been designed around the handling of the OEM tire.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'd give Dan at Viper Specialty a call. I've made some inquiries with him about iForged wheels and SRT brakes for my GTS, and when the discussion came to tires he had me leaning toward the Pirelli. He does post here and maybe he'll just chime in on his own. If not, here's his web site.

Viper Specialty Performance

Hi Dave,

That must be a typo- I have always prefered the PS2 to the Pirelli, and have run them on EVERY single wheel/tire package I have sold to date, including my personal car. In fact, I borderline despise the Pirelli tires, especially when factoring in their pricing and BS stock upkeep and shipping practices. As you would also see, there are no Pirelli tires on our website.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang