VCA Member-Director MW Zone & Great Lakes Region
Venom Member
Reaction score
Mid-Engined Dodge Viper Rendered as C8 Chevrolet Corvette Rival
TIP?
27 January 2018, 09:19 GMT · BY ANDREI TUTU

You must be registered for see images attach

3 PHOTOS
At first sight, the mid-engined Dodge Viper rendering we have here might strike one as odd. Nevertheless, once we go past this initial impression and the unpolished nature of the pixel play (more on this below), we'll notice there's more than one reason for such a creation to be brought to (digital) life.
Nevertheless, before we move on to the arguments that favor a mid-engined Viper hypothesis, we need to explain that Rain Prisk, the digital art label behind the stunt explains this could've been more elaborate.

"[Facebook description for the image] The ugliest thing I have ever done. I feel ashamed," and "[Facebook comment reply] It began as a Viper, didn't use any parts from other cars. It's just a mess," - these lines are enough to shed light on the matter and, as an example of a more refined engine layout transformation coming from this label, we'll name the mid-engined GT-R we recently showed you.

Going past this render, the idea of a Viper with the engine in the middle has been around as long as the car itself. And that's because Chrysler initially considered bringing its supercar to the world in this form.

Alas, the concept never went past the prototype form - speaking of which, you can check out the mid-engined Viper test car in the image gallery above.

Then there's the idea of a rival for the mid-engined Corvette. With the Chevy halo car moving to this layout for the C8 generation, Fiat Chrysler could have a reason to consider coming up with a direct rival.

After all, with the Viper now in limbo, anything is possible - the Gen V model went out of production last year and all we have on the revival topic are rumors talking about a modular platform and twin-turbo engineering from Maranello.

In our book, as long as the Viper stays true to its budget exotic basher aura, we can be happy with both a front- and a mid-engined revival.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...ed-as-c8-chevrolet-corvette-rival-123006.html

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The Chrysler mockups look way better. Has anyone ever seen those before or were they destroyed? Seems like something that would have been in the museum. They are palatable at least. That render is just wrong.

loupatane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can tell you that a mid engine generation was on the strategic horizon but a transaxle was the next logical update to the car which would help move that weight and center further rearward...after the 2000 Rolex win ....my sole dedication was to establish.. for history ...the VIPER
as the most sucessful American car for Viper Nation !!
We where only scheduled to race two cars at Seibring. The next month...but with momentum on our side ....i found the funding to run three viper.....Objective....shut Bowtie out of the Podium!!!!
The team ...engineers...and Viper Nation support was history making .....
Then off to LeMans...we needed this win now to complete the Triple.....History for VIPER Nation.! °
Again the support from everyone was there....everyone knew what was at stake and team Yellow down the pit wall knew we had to beat them....
The rest is history now...but I went through all this to let you all know that the Viper was evolving behind the curtain while we where winning and until the Plug was pulled...which I wont get into here....
Thank you for all your support for the People/Process and trackside emotion you all poured in the best factory road racing program in AMERICA

lvenable

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The deal is, this idea is Vaporware. The mid engine Vette is coming. Fact is my older C6Z06 with 765hp crank, 655 RWHP is a Viper killer down here in Tulsa. I love pulling up next to ANYTHING; as they think its a 505 crank hp Z06....

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats nice, 765hp but its still a me too vette, I have a 800hp toyota and its a vette killer, I love pulling up to anything as they think its a 125hp toyota.

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When looking for a daily driver it came down to a Vette or toyota Corolla, since there are so many Vette's out there, I went with the Corolla, out here in AZ there are 20 Vette's to each Corolla, and its a Vette killer.:moon:

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
There was an in-house move to do mid-engine during the Gen II period ... not enough support ...

ViperEnvy99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Come to the Greenbrier Concours May 4-6 and talk with Roy, Dick, and Herb about the mid-engine. Talking with Chris T. at Amelia this weekend, the Viper mid-engine might have had an influence on what resulted at Ford in 05 & 06.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Ive pretty much washed my hands of Dodge at this
point so ive no dog in this fight - but on a personal
level the idea of a rearward mid-engine car called a
viper is outright offensive to me... but this is the
company who took everyones opinions and happily
ignored them when they created the 4dr Charger so....

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Ive pretty much washed my hands of Dodge at this
point so ive no dog in this fight - but on a personal
level the idea of a rearward mid-engine car called a
viper is outright offensive to me... but this is the
company who took everyones opinions and happily
ignored them when they created the 4dr Charger so....
I didn’t take it that far, I do enjoy my Long Horn. With that said, any variation to the current Viper to a mid engine or different engine.... should not be called a Viper

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
was kept very quiet and few knew about them.

Yeah, because ten years ago the shit would have hit
the fan if we found out Dodge was even considering
this abomination. Hell, I remember the noise made
over finding out 3 were built with automatics.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd rather wait for a no-engine Viper. BEV! The design can continue to resemble a Viper and not morph into something unrecognizable.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I'd rather wait for a no-engine Viper. BEV! The design can continue to resemble a Viper and not morph into something unrecognizable.
Maybe, but it would be tough to give up the signature sound of the V10. You'd still get the torque of the monster motor in an electric vehicle, but the sound and shake is just as much part of a Viper as the design.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Or, if you want to be really ridiculious - Dodge could have
continued building the chassis and offered a Hydrogen
version of the V10. Offer the two seperataly like a kit
car to avoid the safety laws.

But even then Realistically, after about 10 years it
would become one of the least powerful motors on the
road, but with zero emissions, the true enthusists amoung
us could still have a new car to buy AND keep the "sound
and shake" of the car we love...

Sneaky Pete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no issue with Dodge building such an animal, in fact I do... Just call it something other than a Viper! Honestly I think they should retire the Viper name, unless they plan on doing another V10 (with the engine in the front).