Milestone achieved - what a strange trip

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I acquired my '94 RT/10 in Sept 2009 with 8500 miles on it....so it was driven roughly 560 miles per year, or more likely one of the previous owners drove it for a couple years and it sat the rest of the time.

In Oct 2009, I lock the brakes up on the hwy and crash into a pickup with a deer rack on the back .... car out of action till Dec 09. I get the car back and it starts snowing later that day ..... car sits till April 10. During this time, I'm conversing with TomF&L who is having a headlight yellowing problem so I send him one of my recently removed headlights as a tester for his technique and he talks me into upgrading my brakes to his 40mm rears ... huge difference, thanks Tom.

So through the VCA, I meet some great people ... one of them being Manny Young. I get my Belanger exhaust from JonB and Manny installs it for me....I have to say that I have the most awesome sounding Viper ever :) As my ViperTech says, this is what a Viper should sound like. Unfortunately a few months after Manny installs my exhaust, he has an accident in his Viper coming home from a car show and is killed (RIP Manny)

I install some more goodies ... GPS Nav, and promptly use it on a 1000 mile weekend that includes a trip to BeaveRun Motorsports (coming again in June) then up to Niagara Falls, then back home to eastern PA. Met Jim and Kathy Stout who show me what a Viper can do on the track ... forgetting they run newer equipment than my '94, I lock the brakes up on the next run and find out how well a Viper handles on the grass at about 90MPH. My kids are looking forward to meeting Jim at BeaveRun this year.

I get to attend my first Viper Days @ Pocono and see the car perform on a big track. Manage to get the car up to 140 MPH, but running with the Gen 3's and 4's it still feels like I'm standing still out there. The second day, its raining and I turn in my fastest lap times of the weekend, who'd have thought the Viper is better in the rain :)

Having watched all the action of people repainting their dash, I took mine apart ... mostly to update my GPS map database, and stripped and sprayed it black ... great improvement over stock, and once again something I wouldn't have done without support from the VCA members.

It was a long winter where the Viper only looked out the window at the feet of snow on the ground and watched the constant downpours this spring, but finally I managed to turn 17,000 miles on the Viper last weekend ... I have now doubled the miles that were on the car when I received it. Not bad, 8,500 miles in 15 years .... another 8,500 miles in 2 years....or more like 12 months if you factor in the time in hibernation and body shop repair time. Car will be going to NJMP Zone Event and BeaveRun this year and hopefully will have some nice power added with goodies from Greg Good.

If someone told me this would be my first 2 years of Viper ownership I would have told them they were nuts, but it has been a great 2 years with some ups and downs along the way.....now on to the next 2 years, a few more track events, more Viper friends, and hopefully a raffle car :)