Mobil 10w30 vs. 10w40?

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read somewhere on the site that the newer 10w40 is better for valve train noise? Is this true? I have typical "loud" valve chatter/ injector "tapping" noise on my gen 2rt10.

Putting new oil soon, just wondering if I should stick to 30 or go to 40?

(FYI- Street use only in Ontario,Canada). Temps here are the same as Detroit.:2tu:

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read somewhere on the site that the newer 10w40 is better for valve train noise? Is this true? I have typical "loud" valve chatter/ injector "tapping" noise on my gen 2rt10.

Putting new oil soon, just wondering if I should stick to 30 or go to 40?

(FYI- Street use only in Ontario,Canada). Temps here are the same as Detroit.:2tu:

I believe I've used both. I just stick to 10w30 now tho. Also, when I dropped my car off at Tator's back in 2009, he used 10w30 when he did my oil change and told me that's all he uses and recommends. So that's all I needed to hear when deciding which to use....whatever Chuck recommends and uses is what I will use. :2tu:

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're running the car hard in the summer, it seems that 10-40 or even 10-50 is OK. Though I'd vote for sticking to spec 10-30 for normal use and just enjoy the valve clatter!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tator gave me the option of 10w-30, 0w-40 or 15w-50 two years ago. 15w-50 was overkill for me back then but standard now since I did my heads/cam work.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How are you sure that you have valvetrain noise? Does she only do it cold while warming up, or all the time?

Injectors dont "tap". They spray. No oil is going to lessen the injector noise. the pssst-psst-psst-psst noise you hear is them spraying Fuel. Its normal.

0W40 is what I've switched to per Tom. Old topic.

+1 Same here.

15-50 mobil 1 for me in both my vipers and my SRT-4.

Def would not recommend 50wieght for someone in a cooler climate. Especially if not tracking.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess several people are using different stuff.. I was told 10w30 was the one I should use. Any thoughts? I live in Massachusetts, where it's cold in the winter and hot in the summer. :)

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess several people are using different stuff.. I was told 10w30 was the one I should use. Any thoughts? I live in Massachusetts, where it's cold in the winter and hot in the summer. :)

If Tator told you to use 10w30....there's nothing else to discuss. :) Do what he says. :2tu:

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Tator told you to use 10w30....there's nothing else to discuss. :) Do what he says. :2tu:

Yes, that is very true. However, I just saw that you posted Tator gave you options, so since you live in CT which has the same weather as me just about, I wasn't sure if I should switch to something else when I do my next oil change.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I trump Tator with Tom. Tom is an oil expert. Chuck Tator is an expert mechanic. Big difference.

Tom over chuck when it comes to oil. Everytime

I'm not sure who Tom is? But if you guys say he is an oil expert I'll believe ya. Also, if it's hotter throughout the year where you are Dave, should I still be using the same oil as you if it's not as hot around where I live throughout the year?

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oil obviously will not help with the injectors cycling...but they do make a lot of noise...which is normal. Love the sewing machine sounds!!

HSSSTOY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...Valve train noise is typical of Gen. 2, year 2000-2002. Dodge modified the cam from previous years which had NGR(neutral gear rattle).

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The operating oil temp in Dave's motor in TX and Kevin's in Canada is not that far apart. The start-up temps could be far different. Take Tom's lube advice.

Oil Trivia:
My very first phone call to Team Viper was in May of 1993.....(Their phone # was in the glove box.) I wanted to talk about track event OIL. There was no 'factory fill' program back then. Just 10-30 petroleum based.

Herb Helbig (GrailKeeper) called me back the next day, and he asked ME far more questions than I asked him. What A Company! I thought then....... I still do.

Herb told me that for endurance/track use, Chelsea and Nelson-Ledges, the Team was using 15-50 weight Synthetic (Castrol in 1993) and he suggested that I would do well to use it, too. He advised me to "break the motor in wisely" and to have fun. He seemed genuinely glad to have discoverd an owner who was taking it to the track.....

"We built this car for guys like you!' he stated. What a Company.

runin1320

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm putting in Mobil 10W40 when I change the oil. Figure that it is worth a shot. I also do not care for the loud valvetrain.

2BADD-4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The operating oil temp in Dave's motor in TX and Kevin's in Canada is not that far apart. The start-up temps could be far different. Take Tom's lube advice.

Oil Trivia:
My very first phone call to Team Viper was in May of 1993.....(Their phone # was in the glove box.) I wanted to talk about track event OIL. There was no 'factory fill' program back then. Just 10-30 petroleum based.

Herb Helbig (GrailKeeper) called me back the next day, and he asked ME far more questions than I asked him. What A Company! I thought then....... I still do.

Herb told me that for endurance/track use, Chelsea and Nelson-Ledges, the Team was using 15-50 weight Synthetic (Castrol in 1993) and he suggested that I would do well to use it, too. He advised me to "break the motor in wisely" and to have fun. He seemed genuinely glad to have discoverd an owner who was taking it to the track.....

"We built this car for guys like you!' he stated. What a Company.

COOL Post JonB:)

Dave

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm putting in Mobil 10W40 when I change the oil. Figure that it is worth a shot. I also do not care for the loud valvetrain.

If I remember correctly, the 0W-40 has more additives and goodies that have been used to good advantage in Europe for a while.....the bad part is I've never seen 0W-40 in those 5-quart bottles at the store that treats women badly....so you have to buy it by the quart.

OP
OP
G

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How are you sure that you have valvetrain noise? Does she only do it cold while warming up, or all the time?

Injectors dont "tap". They spray. No oil is going to lessen the injector noise. the pssst-psst-psst-psst noise you hear is them spraying Fuel. Its normal.

+1 Same here.

Def would not recommend 50wieght for someone in a cooler climate. Especially if not tracking.

noise is almost like a sewing machine noise, tapping noise is a good description. Does it all the time, but more when cold.