MOD QUESTIONS

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hey guys...
i have an 06 coupe that i would like a little more power from....

not sure what really works for these cars besides S/C, which im not prepared to do at the moment.
i suppose i would start off with exhaust. i know most of you use borla, corsa, and mopar.
i dont want a real loud exhaust.
ive read here mixed thoughts on headers...some say u get gains, some say u dont. whats the deal?
i hear the green filters work good....
and a tune.
what would be my expected gains from these combination of mods and what other mods are worthwhile if any?
thanks

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You pretty much get the idea...headers add sound/less heat, not much HP gain (in our case, and in the experts' opinions - Chuck Tator/Sean Roe)...Corsa Exhaust, high-flow cats, VECII, green filters are fine....gains of about 50hp give or take, every Viper is different...stock dyno it first. We gained the most from the Corsa Exhaust...and a very nice sound it is...we love it. We get same results from K&N and Green air filters. We also tho, use Royal Purple oil & tranny, keeps car running cooler....mixed opinions on that as well. Glad you got the '06 Coupe, what color? PICS???? ~juli

OP
OP
E

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
thanks juli....
its a blue w/silver stripes coupe. i tried to upload pics but the pics are too big i guess...
looks like every other blue w/silver stripes i guess except mine has a factory nav radio inside.

i hear good things abt the reflashed ecu. is that a good substitute for the vec2?
im assuming the vec is a tuning instrument, or piggyback??

thanks

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blue w/silver coupe sounds great....you can download your pics by using photobucket....let me know if you need instructions (I got them myself from Dimitrios)....the VECII is a tuning instrument, yes, we got it in anticipation of someday getting Roe's supercharger for our '05, and to tune the air/fuel ratio on dyno...as of yet, he's having some troubles with fitting the s/c under the hood of the '03-'06's....reflash I don't know about....someone else can chime in on those? Good Luck with whatever mods you choose...and of course, welcome to the Club!! ~juli

proggod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would do exhaust first, not only does it increase hp but also greatly cools the car. Also cats are a good cheap upgrade as well. I went with corsa track exhaust and rt high flow cats. The sound may be a little loud for you, but its just fine with me. Well worth it.

After that I wouldn't do anything else but a supercharger. Its the best bang for your buck by leaps and bounds.

Of course with any mod if you want to realize the added horsepower you are going to need a tune.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't expect significant power gains with intake and header/exhaust mods. If it were my car, I would not bother. You could easily spend $6,000 on mods and have no seat of the pants change to your car's performance.

A Paxton supercharger is the most cost effective way to add power to the car.

Motons (or KW or Penske) dampers and upgraded springs are a good handling mod. I would spend the money on Motons rather than exhaust/headers.

proggod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't expect significant power gains with intake and header/exhaust mods. If it were my car, I would not bother. You could easily spend $6,000 on mods and have no seat of the pants change to your car's performance.

Motons (or KW or Penske) dampers and upgraded springs are a good handling mod. I would spend the money on Motons rather than exhaust/headers.

I don't know about you, but the fact I no longer feel like a turkey stuck in an oven, made my exhaust well worth the money :)

But agree paxton is worth every penny.

OP
OP
E

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ok, few questions thus far...
high flow cats....will they pass emissions? the high flow cats i had for my zo6 still triggered a CEL, which would cause me to fail emissions. not a big deal, just wondering.

juli, if u added abt 50hp, u should be able to feel that SOTP, true?

i was going to hold off on a S/C because im hoping i can possibly get the new viper in a year or 2. but...

i know a lot of folks are running a S/C, would you have issues doing a few track days with that setup due to heat or anything else?
which S/C's are most folks running and why?

thanks!

proggod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you get the S/C get the doug levin pump and intercooler. Its much larger which will cut down on heat issues you may have on track days.

With the high flow cats you will still pass emissions, although they say after a year or two you may not. The work less as they get older.

The corsa track exhaust eliminates the crossover. It not only gives you a huge boost on flow, but also keeps the system from trapping the heat.

I had a 2008 on order, but then I realized for the difference in price I could have a car that would blow the 2008 away. I ended up going with a copperhead 2005 w/ 5000 miles. I defintely do not regret the decision.

OP
OP
E

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you get the S/C get the doug levin pump and intercooler. Its much larger which will cut down on heat issues you may have on track days.

With the high flow cats you will still pass emissions, although they say after a year or two you may not. The work less as they get older.

The corsa track exhaust eliminates the crossover. It not only gives you a huge boost on flow, but also keeps the system from trapping the heat.

I had a 2008 on order, but then I realized for the difference in price I could have a car that would blow the 2008 away. I ended up going with a copperhead 2005 w/ 5000 miles. I defintely do not regret the decision.

what are u getting at the wheels with that setup?

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed the DC Performance ReFlashed ECU/170 T-Stat a few weeks back and definitely felt an increase in power.

1st and 2nd go by pretty quick on a stock car, but 3rd is where I could feel it! Along with the Tachometer needle pulling through the revs quicker. Haven't really gone any further than that as of yet because last week I had 3.55 gears installed. I need to break the gears in for 300 miles, but I could immediately tell that my 'new' 1st gear is going to haul some butt!

I think I might have a different plan than some others. I have no desire to road race the car, but do enjoy hitting the Dragstrip 2-3 times per year, so I went with a few mods that I think will get me into the 11.50 range or lower.

Being as on a stock car you go through the traps in 3rd gear, touching the rev limiter for your best ET's, I figured if I added any more power I'd need 4th gear. Though I'm not really adding enough power to shift into 4th for any real distance. So 3.55 Gears should allow me to shift into 4th and still have some WOT time before the traps. Plus it makes the car a little more 'sane' to drive on the street - 1st is much nicer now when you need to go slow (parking lots and such), and I can actually use 6th gear at 55-60mph. Honestly, I have no need to be able to do 150+ in 4th gear on the street, or anywhere else for that matter.

My other mods are Green Filters, PS2 Tires, and a Corsa Track (to be installed soon).

We'll see if my plan works comes September/October as it's too damn hot to go to the track now. FWIW, Factory Stock I ran 11.90 @ 122.34 in 70 degree Humid weather. I'd love to see 11.5's in the Fall!

Last edited:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok, few questions thus far...
high flow cats....will they pass emissions? the high flow cats i had for my zo6 still triggered a CEL, which would cause me to fail emissions. not a big deal, just wondering.
juli, if u added abt 50hp, u should be able to feel that SOTP, true?
i was going to hold off on a S/C because im hoping i can possibly get the new viper in a year or 2. but...
i know a lot of folks are running a S/C, would you have issues doing a few track days with that setup due to heat or anything else?
which S/C's are most folks running and why?
thanks!

Okay, if you wait and buy a GenIII or III.5, there will be no supercharger other than Paxton...and for us personally, we prefer to wait for RoeRacing's supercharger (Sean Roe is a perfectionist and his s/c's are well-known performers, BUT he has had problems developing his supercharger for the '03-'06 Vipers--doesn't fit under the hood)....oh, yeah, we certainly can FEEL 'seat of the pants' with the Corsa Exhaust...can't 'step' on it at all, we'd be ass-backwards!! Overall, the mods we did are the 'inexpensive' ones...but the others have chimed in with their mods and opinions as well....up to you....but a *new* car, especially if you get the '08, will really not need much of ANYthing, as it already has the exhaust (NO crossover--gotta get rid of that if you get the '06--TOO HOT!! THO it IS a work of art)...the '08 already has the PS2's, 06 will have runflats like we have...which we have no problems with, we don't track--we 'street' it. You are asking good questions...hope we all can help you out....and to each their own, everyone has their own preferences!!! ~juli

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Sure you wont get the power of a S/c. But for roughly $3000 in mods Im at 496rwhp. So Im not sure what Kai is taking about. Anyways, with a DC tune, exhaust and filters, you will feel a nice gain. The Hiflow cats didnt make much difference but cooled the car down. I would just go catless.
I would highly recomend Corsa track, nice sounding exhaust,no drone. Probably one of the more popular choices.

proggod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure you wont get the power of a S/c. But for roughly $3000 in mods Im at 496rwhp. So Im not sure what Kai is taking about. Anyways, with a DC tune, exhaust and filters, you will feel a nice gain. The Hiflow cats didnt make much difference but cooled the car down. I would just go catless.
I would highly recomend Corsa track, nice sounding exhaust,no drone. Probably one of the more popular choices.

My votes for the corsa track as well!

05Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know you did not mention it, but don't go mopar performance cam and computer. I did and have the mopar exhaust. I wanted to go all mopar. I like the sound but the cam and controller are definately not worth the money. Wish I would have put the money elsewhere like a reflash or something.

OP
OP
E

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know you did not mention it, but don't go mopar performance cam and computer. I did and have the mopar exhaust. I wanted to go all mopar. I like the sound but the cam and controller are definately not worth the money. Wish I would have put the money elsewhere like a reflash or something.

i looked at that set up and wondered what the gains would be....
doesnt seem the cams they use do a whole lot, but im not really sure.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine