Monday we find out who is faster at Laguna Seca, ZR1 or Gen V

Status
Not open for further replies.

NVMYVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This reminds me of Papa John's. Better ingredients, better pizza, Papa John's. Better brakes, better suspension, better tires, ZR1. There is no mystery here. The Corvette boys brought a gun to a gun fight. They set there sights on setting a new record at LS. It seems, seems I say, that SRT had their sights on the ZR1 instead of a new record. I would be interested in seeing what the ZR1 ran at its first crack at Laguna Seca and see how much it has improved. Furthermore I would like to see the complete test and all the laptimes that Pobst ran in both cars to see how much he improved in each. I bet there is a story to be told there. My assertion is that his ZR1 times do not radically decrease with practice but that his Viper times showed much more improvement from beginning to end in comparison. The question now is will the ZR1 make another run at the Ring and try to really eat SRT's lunch? How bad a day will it be if they set a new record at the Ring before SRT even has a chance to respond to the Laguna Seca gauntlet being dropped? The outgoing ZR1 might just be getting revved up!

JohnnyLightning

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There seems to be some common confusion here. The Viper was a pariah outcast from the flock. The Corvette never was. It was just another good sports car. Quit thinking of them as equals. The Corvette is an American mass produced superb sports car, the Viper is a low volume American exotic. The only reason the rivalry developed is because there is no other competition out there for the vette in terms of price and performance. They are *supposed to be* completely different animals.

How Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche, Corvette, etc. drivers would react in the same situation is completely irrelevant. They're used to not being the fastest and making excuses. The Viper legacy has always been different. No excuses, no apologies. As mentioned here countless times, the sports car and exotic world is saturated with "me-too's". Different sides of the same coin. The Viper was different. We didn't need another of the same.

On the bright side, this thread has been very entertaining and provided some good laughs.

Your right the Aventador/Gallardo isn't faster in the quarter and top speed as the ZR1. Those Lambo owners must be pissed. :rolaugh: Oh wait same goes for the Porsche & Ferrari. :2tu: Also forgot to include the GTR so they are more for your drag drivers where the ZR1/ZO6 is more for your track people. Now the new Viper does crappy at both compared to todays numbers. If this was 2008 it wouldn't be that bad. You see the ACR was top dog but when you add 30k+ to a price tag you better go faster its just comman sense.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe I just have a firm grasp of the obvious but the Viper was just resurrected from the dead and it's a better car for the way the vast majority of owners will use it. All of the press has been overwhelmingly positive and now we have panic over one driver's results in a single test of a base model non ACR car. Cancelling orders and dissing the car and being impatient isn't going to help SRT continue to evolve the car. For all we know the car is already better than it showed on this day and either way Ralph and SRT deserve some time and latitude.

Last edited:

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NAKED WOMAN NEXT TO ME said:
You know, corvettes are not all that impressive its an every day thing , but when i see a viper I'm like whoa!
I'll take the Viper.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you need a street legal race oriented car with aero (ACR) to beat a GT car without aero (ZR1) that says a lot about what the Viper lacks. IMHO the GTS should be the ZR1 ******. They match up perfectly. The ACR is a different kind of car. If you can't make a Viper without aero beat a car without aero then..............

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pirelli has tweaked the compound. Its called the trofeo. Just not on the Viper but much more in line with sport cups.
Trefeo's aren't made in Viper sizes yet. My business partner runs them on his SL. He was coming from the Corsas. He's actually on the Trefeo R's now but, even the reg Trefeos are a big improvement over the Corsas

JohnnyLightning

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TIME OUT........2 1/2 years ago the Viper died, assembly line shut down....there is a 2013 Viper coming, lighter, stiffer, more horsepower, world class interior and brakes.......calm down and don't get too bent out of shape over one magazine article.

It should have stayed gone I felt this way when they released it since the HP was to low compared to todays standards plus it isn't a Dodge. Then came the stiff price tag which I completely laughed at and decided to look at something else after finding out how this car was built. If the car came out as a 800hp monster even with a blower it would have sold at 140k since Ford did that with the GT500 and they can't keep them on lots at 60k. This 141k price tag is for what? Steel frame LOL this car is built like crap for todays standards in performance. A 2006 ZO6 is more advanced than this car with materials used. They might as well have used fiber glass for panels on this car.

vipernut94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm betting that the Corvette Forum isn't as ******* the new Viper as this thread.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trefeo's aren't made in Viper sizes yet. My business partner runs them on his SL. He was coming from the Corsas. He's actually on the Trefeo R's now but, even the reg Trefeos are a big improvement over the Corsas

Well then srt should have stayed with mpsc. Its not pirellis fault. Srt had plenty of time to research the tires. If they wanted specially designed compound corsas for the viper that costs a lot of money. Better off paying pirelli to make trofeo in viper sizes.

At the end of the day if those are the "track pack" tires srt has let the viper down relative to other oem track tires.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your responses have been the most amusing in the thread.

It should have stayed gone I felt this way when they released it since the HP was to low compared to todays standards plus it isn't a Dodge. Then came the stiff price tag which I completely laughed at and decided to look at something else after finding out how this car was built. If the car came out as a 800hp monster even with a blower it would have sold at 140k since Ford did that with the GT500 and they can't keep them on lots at 60k. This 141k price tag is for what? Steel frame LOL this car is built like crap for todays standards in performance. A 2006 ZO6 is more advanced than this car with materials used. They might as well have used fiber glass for panels on this car.

JohnnyLightning

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably not because CForums(vette owners) don't see this car as any competition. They are to busy defending off the GTRs & GT500s.

2006red/whitecoupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I can only asume that "johnny" is typing on his gateway in his mothers basement....sitting in soiled underwear, with burger king wrappers all over the floor.

Reaction score
Boy I hope all the haters here never have a loved one let them down, or maybe one of your children get one bad grade. We have really seen some pettiness and I doubt the true Viper guys or the Vette guys would have ever fallen on their swords so fast, just sickening and not what the forums use to be... I'm disappointed to, but not so much in the Viper.

Respectfully, a true Viper guy

Kratos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was told the Viper guys carry a lot of drama in the forums. I think it's safe to say there's some truth to the rumors......LOL :rolaugh:

JohnnyLightning

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can only asume that "johnny" is typing on his gateway in his mothers basement....sitting in soiled underwear, with burger king wrappers all over the floor.

You got me there. LOL You forgot my Colt40 beer. Maybe I should list my cars.

1984 Ford ****** Indy Version 003/150
1997 Land Rover Discovery aka Bling Bling car raffled off to me well mom gave it to me it doesn't run
1993 GEO Storm Wagon Black Series Edition silver/purple

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting the constant reference the ACR that is on its way. This car doesn't even exist yet. How can anyone say what it will or wont do. It may be another 2-3 years before its unveiled....and between then and now....do you think the GM engineers will just sit idle ? I doubt it.

Its been said before in this thread. Its not about whether or not we can actually drive any of these cars to their limits....that's not the point. We want the best. Its simple. That's what fuels a gear head....not just doing ok. That is reserved for average and most Viper owners are not willing to settle for average.

I really wasn't willing to buy a 1st year production car regardless and I only hope that SRT takes this very seriously and will make some creative changes for 2014 that will make a difference. Maybe the Vipers of 2013 will be known as the 'weak ones' and turn out to only be a stepping stone for superiority once again, down the road.

Matt

Last edited:

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I rarely chime in on these types of discussions but....

Disappointed? Hell yes.

Giving up on SRT? Hell no. But I do wish they would have made their own run/statement prior to giving a preproduction car to a magazine to test. There has been a lot of hype about the new car, just wish they would have used Kuno or Dominik to run some laps first.

Would I cancel an order? NO. But a Gen IV ACR for $50K less does seem appealing. Thats a lot of mod money and I could even pick up a mint Gen 1 for the garage.

Now buying a ZR 1.........Ah, NO. Awesome car, but I cannot see paying over $100K for any corvette. Regardless of the performance. If I owed a 458 I wouldn't sell it because of this test and buy 2-3 ZR1's. Maybe its just me, never been a vette fan.

Concerning? Yes, especially for the price of the GTS.

Annoying? Yep! Especially for the magazine bench racers that now think the Gen V is no good.

Well Ralph, hurry up and grab one of the GTSR boys and go prove everyone wrong.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did anyone really expect the new GTS to beat an ACR at the track? PS- Winkler is no slouch in a Viper..he prob has more seat time than anyone..and said the ACR had a lot more in it. I bet SRT will be out there testing next week. The track is all about confidence. Put a cage in a car and its faster. Wait and see;)

JohnnyLightning

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boy I hope all the haters here never have a loved one let them down, or maybe one of your children get one bad grade. We have really seen some pettiness and I doubt the true Viper guys or the Vette guys would have ever fallen on their swords so fast, just sickening and not what the forums use to be... I'm disappointed to, but not so much in the Viper.

Respectfully, a true Viper guy

Respectfully I am Dodge Viper guy at heart I love my 96 GTS but not a Fiat SRT Viper guy. This car blows from the first time I saw it with 599 Ferrai look alike. The performance reviews just solitified my decision on spending 141k. I would rather get hosed by buying a Lotus Evora at least when you drive that you know you got hosed.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To accept the results is to be a true Viper guy? To call SRT on a seemingly botched job is being a hater. Hmmmm. It couldn't be because a lot of us are passionate about what the Viper was performance-wise eh? Constructive critism usually gets things done. Blind acceptance usually doen't. If the "haters" didn't care about this car passionately this thread would be at most 2 pages. I think there are true Viper guys on both sides of this issue.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Respectfully I am Dodge Viper guy at heart I love my 96 GTS but not a Fiat SRT Viper guy. This car blows from the first time I saw it with 599 Ferrair look alike. The performance reviews just solitified my decision on spending 141k. I would rather get hosed by buying a Lotus Evora at least when you drive that you know you got hosed.

lmao, silly

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TIME OUT........2 1/2 years ago the Viper died, assembly line shut down....there is a 2013 Viper coming, lighter, stiffer, more horsepower, world class interior and brakes.......calm down and don't get too bent out of shape over one magazine article.

I might disagree with the "brakes" comment. Same 4 *** Brembo calipers from 2003, albeit they are paired with a 2pc rotor, nevertheless a brand new car with ten year old brakes.

JohnnyLightning

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To accept the results is to be a true Viper guy? To call SRT on a seemingly botched job is being a hater. Hmmmm. It couldn't be because a lot of us are passionate about what the Viper was performance-wise eh? Constructive critism usually gets things done. Blind acceptance usually doen't. If the "haters" didn't care about this car passionately this thread would be at most 2 pages. I think there are true Viper guys on both sides of this issue.

I could fix it ditch the Italian leather, Dodge Dart Dash, Power assistance everything, retarted brace, 599 headlights, Pirrelli tires and Fiat SRT name. I would first put that cheap leather in the same as Gen II where the seats just soap up the armour all to save cost. Electronic dash is something C4s tried save money and put back the standard tachs where a 65 year old can figure out. Then get rid of all that power assistance crap except ABS wish I had it on mine to save weight. The brace only gets in the way for the blower that pushes the motor to 800hp because they are to scared opening up the motor because gas mileage. 599 Lights *** put Gen I/II light style back in there and for god sake paint the insert on the front bumper. Go back to Michelin tires. And last Ralph grap your things walk straight into the CEOs office and say "D&%^$^ put Dodge back on the back of the bumper and *$#@% Ferrari" Done Yes I have been drinking but things get said that way.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many owners actually track ZR1's? We have seen around 8 in the Pittsburgh area, but only at car cruises.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could fix it ditch the Italian leather, Dodge Dart Dash, Power assistance everything, retarted brace, 599 headlights, Pirrelli tires and Fiat SRT name. I would first put that cheap leather in the same as Gen II where the seats just soap up the armour all to save cost. Electronic dash is something C4s tried save money and put back the standard tachs where a 65 year old can figure out. Then get rid of all that power assistance crap except ABS wish I had it on mine to save weight. The brace only gets in the way for the blower that pushes the motor to 800hp because they are to scared opening up the motor because gas mileage. 599 Lights *** put Gen I/II light style back in there and for god sake paint the insert on the front bumper. Go back to Michelin tires. And last Ralph grap your things walk straight into the CEOs office and say "D&%^$^ put Dodge back on the back of the bumper and *$#@% Ferrari" Done Yes I have been drinking but things get said that way.

...LOL....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets