New member's/non-owner's/prospective buyer's take on the Gen V

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed. But instead of saving all the track performance for the ACR edition, a true track pack should be an option also. They already have the main ingredients, just a little icing on the cake for the purely performance minded. Maybe the thought is that it would hurt ACR sales, but I hope I am not the only holding out for an ACR that borrows more from the GTSR than from the GTS. There would still be room for both models.

I'm just hoping the ACR will be built on a stripped down SRT Viper and be priced from there, instead of the ACR being priced on top of GTS.

I wondering if SRT is watching how well the new Porsche GT3 is being received, because even though the GT3 is the stripped down go faster version of the 911, they made it PDK only (no more 3 pedals) and added 4-wheel steering. Putting in a flappy paddle gearbox will make the ACR faster, but will it be rejected by the primary audience of the ACR?

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have said it from the beginning and I completely agree with you, there needs to a bare bones track version. I guess what I am looking for is a 17 year newer version of my 96, AC is the only option I need, dump anything that weighs more than it should. I would love to know what one would really cost without all the gadgets and pretty parts thrown in wheher you want them or not. I know SRT wants to attract new buyers with that stuff, that is a great strategy as the more cars that get sold the better of a life expectancy this car has. But I am just interested in the performance part of it. Have it like the ACR-X with a Vin number.

It was said best, make it as simple as possible, not simpler.

Then I would be in the market for a Gen 5, but I will not pay extra for all the interior fluff. It somebody wants all that its still there as options. Cars come too prepackaged to me now, I wish I could choose my options.

Last edited:

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Point is GTS as spec'd and conceived is for those that want to daily drive their snake AND track it when they want. That is the point of the GTS as it is a true Grand Touring Sport (GTS). ACR, Track Day Special, Drag King Machine and all the other varients are going to be more single minded and purpose focused. The GTS is for those that want to play in all sand boxes at any time. For what it is, it is just great. Needs just a bit more power though which will come in future but really 640 hp is nothing to sneeze at. I mean really!

Good thing about the people complaining about the performance now, at least they stopped complaining about the front end. Ha! Ha!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have to imagine the ACR would be based on the SRT version.

But there also would be a case to offer the ACR aero/suspension package with the GTS as well. (could label them ACR and GTS-R)

Track rats would have little use for the bling, but some of us "just gotta have it all"

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a future owner and it has been my dream since I was a little kid to order one from the factory like in the old days and also to be the original owner. To many, I may still be a kid since I'm 19, and my dream may be a little cheesy, but my drive isn't and I'll be proud to roll with all of yall in two years and some months. In my opinion for those still deciding, go with the one that speaks to your heart. After all, isn't that why we buy these cars? Not that its bigger or faster then others, but it's a fun kick-ass car that appeals to us and our inner child. And to get one just to be better then someone else or those around you is kinda missing the point...

AJ.
u reminded me of myself few years ago... :)

AJ usmc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thankyou Sadviper, that's a good thing right? lol ;)
If there were to be paddles on the viper, I think there should be a heavy premium... I mean... a "Developmental charge".
If the manual gear box was to go extinct and was no longer feasible, I would keep the shifter alive by developing a weighted electronic shifter. maybe a "neutral" pedal where the clutch pedal used to be. so it will still feel the same, you could still play with the engine going 70, and it would be like the old days. a "Retro" or "Drivers" package if you will. I feel that would be a happy median. to me the viper is about the tradition and is a true drivers car. and flappys are too... emotionless.

OP
OP
Bruce H.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I appreciate all the comments, but didn't really expect such a wide range of owner priorities and visions for what the car should be. I always thought of the Viper as a factory built track toy that also very capably served dual duty as a street muscle car. It's now apparent that many don't need or want to go beyond the muscle car performance and exotic appearance, others expect to be able to order a track capable car with one option package or another, others say mod it if you need to, some care about the interior and performance upgrades, and others prefer it to remain more basic, raw and affordable. I can't argue with any of those views, and it certainly helps to explain the varying Gen V attitudes and view points.

I just watched the MotorWeek review, and if accurately portrayed, it definitely sounds like the car performance is improved in all areas, and very track capable from the factory. I'll drive one as soon as I can. A friend working at a Chev dealership is determined to get me behind the wheel of a C7 Stingray as soon as they get one, and I plan to test the new Jaguar F-Type. I haven't seen any of them in the flesh at this point. They'll all be very desirable high performance cars, but just in different ways, and I'm sure I'll know which one is right for me...probably before turning the key!

So thank you, and I'll be following this forum closely along with everyone else.

Bruce

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of people have a lot of different ideas of what they want their perfect Viper to be. Thats why its still my opinion to offer it completely basic and let the buyer personalize it to their budget and intended use whether through the factory or aftermarket.

Last edited:

JAY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Bruce ! We'll have other events through out the year , hopefully you can come out and join us . I haven't done any track events for the last 2 years due to an mva, but we do have a track director, and members that are track rats . Cayuga is a popular track due to proximity and being foregiving , Calabogie has been another favourate , a few of us are going to Mosport for the ALMS . From what your describing the club would be worth your while .
If you need more info you can reach me at 416 930 4049.

Enjoy the Ride ! :2tu: Jay

OP
OP
Bruce H.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jay...and +1 re Calabogie. Here's one lap around it on its first track day back in '06. I asked a buddy to video my red MR2 Turbo from his E30 track car. I had a little trouble remembering to keep slowing down to keep within his camera range, but now I'm just bragging! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-NTQWXHc-M . We're lucky here to have several great tracks within a few hours drive. Not the best qualityvideo, but it gives others an idea of the track.

Bruce

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21