Monday we find out who is faster at Laguna Seca, ZR1 or Gen V

Status
Not open for further replies.

pumpgas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bluestreak, so basically you think Viper owners do not run their cars at the limits? Okay so let's forget the track for a minute. Let's just say a GTR, Z06, ZR1, GT500 (all stock by the way although ALL of these car are super easily modified) etc. etc. rolls up on you at a light and you have to worry for a second about losing? That is not good when you just dropped almost $150K.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bluestreak, so basically you think Viper owners do not run their cars at the limits? Okay so let's forget the track for a minute. Let's just say a GTR, Z06, ZR1, GT500 (all stock by the way although ALL of these car are super easily modified) etc. etc. rolls up on you at a light and you have to worry for a second about losing? That is not good when you just dropped almost $150K.

You cannot run your car on the street at its limits other than a open road event or something. If you are doing so illegally, as far as im concerned your irrelevant anyways. And im not talking about all viper owners. I see plenty of Vipers at the track. Especially considering I run NARRA events. If that were the case though I would know that its a drivers race for any of those except the gtr from a dig and from a roll that would get spanked. The rest I would know I have a car that will win (even on track) if I drive better than the other guy. Thats all true drivers want, a drivers race. The viper will walk everything but the zr1 which will be mostly a dead heat. Stoplight racing is a joke.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Bluestreak, so basically you think Viper owners do not run their cars at the limits? Okay so let's forget the track for a minute. Let's just say a GTR, Z06, ZR1, GT500 (all stock by the way although ALL of these car are super easily modified) etc. etc. rolls up on you at a light and you have to worry for a second about losing? That is not good when you just dropped almost $150K."

Pumpass - No offense to the Vette guess (I really do love all cars) but man you were meant for a Vette. With your talent you are right you need all the hp you can get. In fact when you do get the Vette bring it up to a NARRA event love to get some pointers from you

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow...where do I begin on this one. So many things I have had running through my head since I started reading all the comments after the results got posted and I just havent had the time to get to a computer to type them. Well here I am and here we go...

First off...the notion that some people are gonna cancel their order on the GEN V because of this one review (and skewed IMO) to me is just silly. You must really have not wanted the car to begin with or had no intentions of actually getting it in the first place. If you feel the need to cancel you order thats on you...just don't get upset with yourself when the GEN V is out and actual production spec cars are tearing up tracks everywhere and they blow by you in your ZR1/GTR/whatever else you bought.

Next...Some have said SRT didn't give us what we wanted. HELLO!!!! Did any of you read the thread Herb started? http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/634947-What-Must-be-Fixed-in-the-next-Viper They gave us just about every darn thing we wanted. We wanted better gearing in the rear end...done. We wanted more power...done. We wanted a better interior...done. We wanted a better stereo...done. We wanted lighter materials used to save weight...dane. We wanted more options then ever before including colors, wheels, interiors...done! We were given the car we (the viper nation) wanted. DOn't say we were not. Thats just crazy talk.

SRT did a fantastic job on the GEN V. I had the pleasure of getting to drive one at VOI and it was greatly improved over my GEN IV. It's a great car and there was a great team behind it. They had limited time and resources to put it together. Some complain about the h.p. not being enough...realize they had only so much time and money to do the whole car. Lots of factors went into how this car came about. I'm glad we have a Viper still being produced. This car has been a passion of mine for nearly 20 years and I'm happy to see it around and still kicking. I don't think it's a shell of it's former self. It's grown up a little bit BUT it still has the same Viper DNA. It's bold, beautiful, ****, mean, exotic, in your face, scare this S**t out of you and your passengers. It's Viper. I'm sure I will think of more to comment on but had to get what came to mind off my chest. GREAT JOB SRT ON THE GEN V VIPER!!!!

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This thread continues to amaze me. This is one test by MT......nothing else. I want to make sure to clarify my post on this thread so it will not be misunderstood. I have had 8 vipers....been there with one of the first R/T10s. I have owned no other sports cars. I have always planned on keeping my ACR.....just a special car. I am not going to buy a Gen V until I SEE the interiors and colors.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Commercial break

Commercial break-:eater:

Since we have 15,000 plus views on this wonderful topic -
Can I get a shout out to my old High School GF - Hey Matilda girl :)if you are reading this can you pleaseTweet me love to catch up.

And o-yea is there a Vipair made for the GenV yet?????

Last edited:

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem with this scenario is that you no longer have the same track conditions, and even if they bring the "same" car there will be people who suspect some extra factory tweaking before the retry. Everybody always wants to see "same day/same driver" comparisons, yet when a magazine finally does it nobody is happy. :dunno:

The cat's out of the bag, and all the marketing spin in the world can't put it back in(and if Ralph's not carefull he's going to get fired by his Italian masters). Time to move on folks and enjoy your new rides when they arrive. And, if you want to heavily modify your Viper then simply get a Gen 2 or 3!
But a track record's a track record. There's nothing to stop GM from sending its best drivers back to keep the cycle and the buzz going.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a random note. I think it would have been better to send a SRT with a track pack and leather out there. A $105k price tag sounds a whole lot better to a bunch of uninformed readers think the new Viper is $140k.

I think this may be a dose of reality to "SRT" in the new game they are playing in. The Viper has always been about kicking ass at a great price. $105k is $20k less than the tested ZR1. VS $16k more. Touting the GTS at max price near everywhere may not be the best idea? You're talking a 40% increase in price for nearly the same car..
Show off the SRT Viper, that's where the magic is!

In the end, I think the Gen V is awesome.

whiteback.JPG

jvp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Corvette Needs the Viper to be at the Top of its Game...

Lots to reply to, but I won't bother quoting individual posts as it'll just end up making my post that much longer and more gnarly to read. But...

First of all, I'm genuinely surprised at the results of this test. As a ZR1 owner, I'm pleased to see my car win the comparo, but at the same time, I'm a bit flabbergasted that the SRT missile didn't match or beat it senseless on the track. I think that those who are upset with Ralph G and his attempt to match his current competition are right in their dismay. SRT should have been swinging for the fences with this release, not trying to match today's ZR1.

I say that not to rub your collective noses in it, either. Rather: we Corvette faithful need your Viper to be at the top of its game so that our super version (whatever GM calls the next uprated C7) is at the top of its game. Competition, as they say, improves the breed. My concern is that GM may look at today's Viper and say, "Meh, we can top that without too much effort." Not a good place to be, IMHO. And, pardon my self-centeredness, but I hope that doesn't happen with the Corvette.

------
With all of that said, let's get into some of the technical details of what happened. There's been a lot of gnashing of keyboards re: the MPSCs. Someone said that Chrysler fell out of favor with Michelin, and that's probably a lot closer to the truth than SRT trying to find a different tire. I'll bet money SRT tried very hard to put MPSCs on their ride and were told, quite frankly, "No" by Michelin. I don't know exactly why that is, but were I you, I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for MPSCs to appear as OEM tires on my Viper. It probably isn't going to happen.

Further, the tire probably wasn't as big a deal as some would like to believe. It's clear that both cars pulled enormous Gs. In fact, they were identical. Further, as has been stated numerous times (in the article, in comments, and here) - the brakes just weren't up to the task on the Viper. They faded. If they faded, it means the tires were providing more than enough grip. One might almost say there was more tire than brake in the package, and in this case they'd be right.

If you want your Viper to improve, get better brakes on that puppy. Yes, tires are important, but they weren't the weak link here.

The driver: carry on all you like regarding Randy. Hell, he's done and said things I don't particularly care about when driving Corvettes. But he's not a nublet behind the wheel. He's quite talented and can squeeze enormous amounts of performance out of any vehicle he gets into. Yes, SRT can bring in their own gun. That changes the test completely though. This test was same day/same track/same conditions/SAME DRIVER. The only difference: the car as equipped from the manufacturer.

Does SRT bringing in their hot-shoe invalidate "Motor Trend's" results? I don't think so. Would GM bringing in Jim Mero, who's proven several times he's got balls made of pure tungsten also invalidate their results? Probably not. Would it really matter though, one way or the other? Nah.

Another interesting bit of info struck me as strange: Randy insisted that all traction systems on both cars were completely disabled. If that's true, then he could have been even faster in the ZR1 with it's Performance Traction Management system on. He knew that, too. Wonder why he disabled it? ...

jas

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve :hahaup:

I will be honest, I did not read this entire thread. I did however skim most of it and im sure my post will also likely be skimmed. But I will post my thoughts anyways.

Seems there is a lot of anger, hate, and dislike now over this car after ONE TEST by a magazine that has historically always been pro GM dating as far back as the 1960s. To further this, the article itself states that the driver was not as comfortable in the Viper. I can understand that, it is a new car and a car that people have feared to put to its full potential for fear of finding out they crossed the vipers nice line.

My thoughts:

1 - This is a pre production car and therefore may not even be fully set up for creaming vette due to SRT not wanting final numbers out.

2 - We all know the driver mod is the best one. If one of the SRT guys or Ralph was driving, bet it would be different.

3 - So you will not buy the car cause it lost to the vette? Seriously? I call BS. If you REALLY love Viper and are serious, you would still buy it. Only reason to walk away is if you are buying the car for an image and trying to stroke ones ego. My guess is on the way to pick it up at the dealer you would have found something else that captured your attention and would have been sidetracked. For those that love the car and what it stands for, your orders are still with a dealer.

4 - Invalid point. I missed some info when I read back.

5 - Why does everyone always feel the need to poop on the parade? Why cant there be some positive comments like: "The driver was not 100% comfortable, the engineers ALL say there is more in it, and hmmmm, magazines make money off of things like this! or "I will with hold comment until the production units are out and see how they do" or even "Thanks SRT for the hard work you put into the car on the size of budget GM has for the Vettes cup holders". I have a hard time to believe after the car was almost cancelled that this is the thankless response the car gets.

6 - As mentioned, SRT and Ralph have claimed the car is faster than that. Why don't we have some faith folks? If the people who design something claim it can do more than that, and they are people we trust, wouldn't it be wise to trust them?

7 - Thank you SRT for spending the time to make the Gen 5. Thank you guys and gals for the late nights, the weekend, the donated time, the unpaid overtime, and the time away from your families to make this car possible. To pull off what you did on the shoe string budget that you had is really beyond cool and amazing! Don't pay attention to the goobers of the world. Everyone has the car they love and will bash all cars that are not that car. The ones that bash Vipers are just clearly not your market.

Last edited:

JAY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:2tu::2tu:Good Point ! :2tu:
Steve :hahaup:

I will be honest, I did not read this entire thread. I did however skim most of it and im sure my post will also likely be skimmed. But I will post my thoughts anyways.

Seems there is a lot of anger, hate, and dislike now over this car after ONE TEST by a magazine that has historically always been pro GM dating as far back as the 1960s. To further this, the article itself states that the driver was not as comfortable in the Viper. I can understand that, it is a new car and a car that people have feared to put to its full potential for fear of finding out they crossed the vipers nice line.

My thoughts:

1 - This is a pre production car and therefore may not even be fully set up for creaming vette due to SRT not wanting final numbers out.

2 - We all know the driver mod is the best one. If one of the SRT guys or Ralph was driving, bet it would be different.

3 - So you will not buy the car cause it lost to the vette? Seriously? I call BS. If you REALLY love Viper and are serious, you would still buy it. Only reason to walk away is if you are buying the car for an image and trying to stroke ones ego. My guess is on the way to pick it up at the dealer you would have found something else that captured your attention and would have been sidetracked. For those that love the car and what it stands for, your orders are still with a dealer.

4 - The Viper was not even a track pack. Means there is still more in it.

5 - Why does everyone always feel the need to poop on the parade? Why cant there be some positive comments like: "The driver was not 100% comfortable, the engineers ALL say there is more in it, and hmmmm, magazines make money off of things like this! or "I will with hold comment until the production units are out and see how they do" or even "Thanks SRT for the hard work you put into the car on the size of budget GM has for the Vettes cup holders". I have a hard time to believe after the car was almost cancelled that this is the thankless response the car gets.

6 - As mentioned, SRT and Ralph have claimed the car is faster than that. Why don't we have some faith folks? If the people who design something claim it can do more than that, and they are people we trust, wouldn't it be wise to trust them?

7 - Thank you SRT for spending the time to make the Gen 5. Thank you guys and gals for the late nights, the weekend, the donated time, the unpaid overtime, and the time away from your families to make this car possible. To pull off what you did on the shoe string budget that you had is really beyond cool and amazing! Don't pay attention to the goobers of the world. They are likely just vette enthusiasts.

Vooodoo ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Corvette Needs the Viper to be at the Top of its Game...

Lots to reply to, but I won't bother quoting individual posts as it'll just end up making my post that much longer and more gnarly to read. But...

First of all, I'm genuinely surprised at the results of this test. As a ZR1 owner, I'm pleased to see my car win the comparo, but at the same time, I'm a bit flabbergasted that the SRT missile didn't match or beat it senseless on the track. I think that those who are upset with Ralph G and his attempt to match his current competition are right in their dismay. SRT should have been swinging for the fences with this release, not trying to match today's ZR1.

I say that not to rub your collective noses in it, either. Rather: we Corvette faithful need your Viper to be at the top of its game so that our super version (whatever GM calls the next uprated C7) is at the top of its game. Competition, as they say, improves the breed. My concern is that GM may look at today's Viper and say, "Meh, we can top that without too much effort." Not a good place to be, IMHO. And, pardon my self-centeredness, but I hope that doesn't happen with the Corvette.

------
With all of that said, let's get into some of the technical details of what happened. There's been a lot of gnashing of keyboards re: the MPSCs. Someone said that Chrysler fell out of favor with Michelin, and that's probably a lot closer to the truth than SRT trying to find a different tire. I'll bet money SRT tried very hard to put MPSCs on their ride and were told, quite frankly, "No" by Michelin. I don't know exactly why that is, but were I you, I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for MPSCs to appear as OEM tires on my Viper. It probably isn't going to happen.

Further, the tire probably wasn't as big a deal as some would like to believe. It's clear that both cars pulled enormous Gs. In fact, they were identical. Further, as has been stated numerous times (in the article, in comments, and here) - the brakes just weren't up to the task on the Viper. They faded. If they faded, it means the tires were providing more than enough grip. One might almost say there was more tire than brake in the package, and in this case they'd be right.

If you want your Viper to improve, get better brakes on that puppy. Yes, tires are important, but they weren't the weak link here.

The driver: carry on all you like regarding Randy. Hell, he's done and said things I don't particularly care about when driving Corvettes. But he's not a nublet behind the wheel. He's quite talented and can squeeze enormous amounts of performance out of any vehicle he gets into. Yes, SRT can bring in their own gun. That changes the test completely though. This test was same day/same track/same conditions/SAME DRIVER. The only difference: the car as equipped from the manufacturer.

Does SRT bringing in their hot-shoe invalidate "Motor Trend's" results? I don't think so. Would GM bringing in Jim Mero, who's proven several times he's got balls made of pure tungsten also invalidate their results? Probably not. Would it really matter though, one way or the other? Nah.

Another interesting bit of info struck me as strange: Randy insisted that all traction systems on both cars were completely disabled. If that's true, then he could have been even faster in the ZR1 with it's Performance Traction Management system on. He knew that, too. Wonder why he disabled it? ...

jas

You have likely jumped the gun as the next same day comparison with the ZR1 could have the Viper come out on top by an equal of not greater margin. I do believe Ralph when he said they had a ZR1 on hand during testing so I know that's one of the cars they used as a benchmark. I believe the Viper with the track pack will prove to be the better performing car (compared to the ZR1 with cups) when all is said and done.

stingray23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If SRT was not confident in their car, they would've NEVER let MT or any major magazine test it. PERIOD. SRT knew well in advance what MT was gonna do and where it was gonna be run. SRT knew which car they sent to MT to test against the ZR1. Why would SRT send MT a pre-production car for such a major test? Dont you think they would have sent them a production ready track pack car with all the bells and whistles to fully compete? If you dont believe any of these points, you're in complete denial.

Vooodoo ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If SRT was not confident in their car, they would've NEVER let MT or any major magazine test it. PERIOD. SRT knew well in advance what MT was gonna do and where it was gonna be run. SRT knew which car they sent to MT to test against the ZR1. Why would SRT send MT a pre-production car for such a major test? Dont you think they would have sent them a production ready track pack car with all the bells and whistles to fully compete? If you dont believe any of these points, you're in complete denial.

SRT likely had 100% confidence in their car... Randy didn't have the confidence to drive it harder. Or perhaps Jalopnik is right and MT is back to their trolling games just looking to get attention and more readers. You know there will be more comparisons Car & Driver, Road & Track, the online mags, Top Gear, etc,. This is still the pre-season, wait until more people have had a chance to get behind the wheel.

jvp

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You have likely jumped the gun as the next same day comparison with the ZR1 could have the Viper come out on top by an equal of not greater margin.

Perhaps, but, 2 seconds on Leguna is not a small amount of time. It's not like a couple of tenths here or there. It's pretty decisive, actually. And had he enabled the PTM, the difference would have been greater.

I believe the Viper with the track pack will prove to be the better performing car (compared to the ZR1 with cups) when all is said and done.

I'll readily admit my ignorance here, but I thought it was stated here on the forum several times that it had the track pack? Or is that not the case?

jas

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the Viper with the track pack will prove to be the better performing car (compared to the ZR1 with cups) when all is said and done.

I think some of you missed this...

The Viper DID have the track pack wheels, tires and rotors, if you look at the pictures you will clearly see the hat color from the ACR rotors.

THE CAR DID HAVE THE TRACK PACK.

stingray23

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Perhaps, but, 2 seconds on Leguna is not a small amount of time. It's not like a couple of tenths here or there. It's pretty decisive, actually. And had he enabled the PTM, the difference would have been greater.

I'll readily admit my ignorance here, but I thought it was stated here on the forum several times that it had the track pack? Or is that not the case?

jas

Jas,
The Viper had the track wheels and the tires that are part of the track pack. that would lead me believe it did have the track pack.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bottom line is the Gen 5 lost the shoot out with the old ZR1.When Motor Trend goes out to the public,that is what they will read(Period).The new customers will not get a new Gen.5 Viper.I knew this would happen,that is why SRT would not put the performance results out that we have been asking for.I will not be getting my new Viper,as I planned until the Viper is a clear winner.The new GTRs and Porsche 911 Turbo S will really just walk away(Esp on the street).

Vooodoo ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

jas

2 seconds is a large margin to overcome if both cars were pushed to their limit. But Randy stated himself, he didn't have confidence in the Viper so there may very well be over 2 seconds left in it. Yes, I'm aware of the PTM as I owned a 2010 ZR1, but I'm not sure it would've made much difference for Randy. Whoever conducts the next Viper vs ZR1 comparison is more than welcome to use PTM on the Vette.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bottom line is the Gen 5 lost the shoot out with the old ZR1.When Motor Trend goes out to the public,that is what they will read(Period).The new customers will not get a new Gen.5 Viper.I knew this would happen,that is why SRT would not put the performance results out that we have been asking for.I will not be getting my new Viper,as I planned until the Viper is a clear winner.The new GTRs and Porsche 911 Turbo S will really just walk away(Esp on the street).

So what you are saying is you never really wanted a viper and this is the excuse you are using to say you won't order one? Right. Gotcha.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members and owners of Vipers who are not pleased with the way this test was done or it's outcome are called whiners,p_ssies,goobers and Vette lovers ? Defend your position,proclaim your love or hate and leave the name calling out of it.

jvp

Enthusiast
Reaction score

2 seconds is a large margin to overcome if both cars were pushed to their limit. But Randy stated himself, he didn't have confidence in the Viper so there may very well be over 2 seconds left in it.

Again: the same might be said of the ZR1 were Mero to come in and do the deed. Fortunately for us Corvette folks he's too busy testing the new C7 to worry about such things, so the likelihood of that happening is nearly nil.

Yes, I'm aware of the PTM as I owned a 2010 ZR1, but I'm not sure it would've made much difference for Randy.

It's been shown time and time again with every driver (of all skill levels) that's tested it: it makes a difference. Whether it's massive difference or not is another story, but it will make him faster.

jas

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like it is time to revise the track pack option,

Ralph, make the MPSC tires part of the track pack, just write a PO. and revise the option, A track pack option should have a track tire.

If Dodge could not deal with Michelin then they would not have any tires on any cars dated from the bankruptcy filing date, that is not the case so the Michelins can still be bought, Hell, buy em from Tirerack, they are on SALE!

Then , take a look at the suspension, the car is pretty much the same car as the Gen 4 chassis wise, you added a cross member and stiffened it but the not sorted out thing is not a valid excuse, the same car has been around in the same basic chassis form since 2003, if the suspension does not "feel" right now, fix it.

If the brakes are fading at Seca, the track pack should have better brakes, obviously we cannot upgrade to the Carbon Ceramic $10,000 brakes that are on the Vette but most racing bodies are moving away from them anyways due to the cost, so revise the disks, revise the pads, or just add cooling duct hose and small caliper shrouds to cool the brakes as part of the package and get the job done!

Hell add the tires and the cooling shrouds as extras that get shipped to you just like the track extension wasn't attached to the car on the ACR.

Simple fixes,

Just do it!

Vooodoo ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Again: the same might be said of the ZR1 were Mero to come in and do the deed. Fortunately for us Corvette folks he's too busy testing the new C7 to worry about such things, so the likelihood of that happening is nearly nil.

It's been shown time and time again with every driver (of all skill levels) that's tested it: it makes a difference. Whether it's massive difference or not is another story, but it will make him faster.

jas

I recall reading one of Randy's reviews where he said he usually prefers running with all aids turned off. He may not be comfortable with PTM (mashing the throttle at the apex) in a short amount of time to shave off much if any time on his lap(s). Mero is not your only "go to" guy for the Vette. I participate over on the corvette forum and many of you were throwing him under the bus when his Ring time was broken. You all wanted Jan Magnussen behind the wheel since everyone was so confident that he'd do much better than Mero.

I do believe when manufacturers compete, we all win! So I will enjoy this Vette vs Viper competition to the maximum!

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ACR-X brakes are a nice option.

Never been a fan of carbon brakes because as mentioned, cost. $10k, no thanks, no matter how cool it looks or how well they work.

Poor Richard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I can't believe it...no excuses.....very disappointed with Gen V Motor Trend test...remember SRT had two years to get it "right" hope they can tweak it for a retest with the results we expect! (I read on another forum, guys that ordered the launch edition for $140,000 might cancel)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rot8te