Monday we find out who is faster at Laguna Seca, ZR1 or Gen V

Status
Not open for further replies.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It could all boil down to one car being designed to beat the F cars and the other designed to almost beat the F cars:dunno:

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to say ZR1.

Why? Reading between the lines, Ralph's recent comments about the Pirellis' was qualified praise.

So the test I want to see is a Gen V vs Gen 5 with PSC.

We have a good tire, we don't have the best tire.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"This means if the cars run 11.7 second quarter miles on a non prepped surface, they are really damn fast (especially if they are rwd) because with the right track, glue, tire pressures, DA and driver talent, a 10 second timeslip is possible."

Glue + VHT

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This will be a rather unique comparison. I can't ever remember two cars that were so mechanically similar from two different manufacturers.

There horsepower and torque are essentially equal, same basic curb weight, very similar tire footprints, nearly identical gearing (the spacing is the same and each ratio is within about 0.03 or less), nearly the same rear end gear (3.42 vs 3.55), both front-engine / rear drive, manual transmissions, length and width of the bodies are within an inch...pretty remarkable.

With two fraternal twins (or brother from a different mother??) competing like this, I can't see any real way to figure the winner based on numbers. These cars are just too similar. It's going to come down to integration and finesse, which ever car is best balanced and able to put it's power to the ground.

The ZR1 has been in a few recent comparison tests, both against other cars and other Corvettes. In a recent comparison between the ZR1, McLaren MP4-12C, and 458 italia at Spring Mountain (Road & Track: Oct 2012, Steve Millen driving); the ZR1 was quicker than the 12C, but slower than the 458.

Against other Corvettes at Spring Mountain (April 2012, Tommy Milner driving), the ZR1 was about 0.85 sec slower than the Z06 (and the ZR1s lap time was 2 seconds better than during the October test).

Spring Mountain is a tighter course than Laguna Seca (I think), but it's clear that there is plenty of variability session to session.

In any case, we'll find out soon and who knows what kind of times these cars will put down on the actual day.

I'm guessing that these two will be within a few tenths of each other and I'm still thinking the Viper could win.

I can't stop thinking about it this weekend, but it will be exciting to finally know and see some real numbers.

-Nick

Good points and info, adds to the suspense of it all.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am still betting on the Viper and I think the difference will be at least two seconds. :)

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not understand why so many are concerned if the Gen V does not beat the ZR1 at this point in time. The ZR1 has probably been tracked many times and has the tires, engine and suspension set up from that track experience. The Gen V being untested is at a huge disadvantage. If it beats the corvette that would be a huge upset. If the race was after several months of tracking the car I would expect the Gen V to win.

als 08 viper acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not understand why so many are concerned if the Gen V does not beat the ZR1 at this point in time. The ZR1 has probably been tracked many times and has the tires, engine and suspension set up from that track experience. The Gen V being untested is at a huge disadvantage. If it beats the corvette that would be a huge upset. If the race was after several months of tracking the car I would expect the Gen V to win.

I am sort of hoping the ZR1 wins since this might convince SRT to hurry up the production of the Gen V ACR.

ArnarFB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From Corvette Forum, Viper_Vette:

I heard Randy got sideways in the Viper at turn 2,and almost took out a photographer.

The Zr1 won.

The zr1 won. Randy basically said that the new Viper was not driveable at the limits.

Last edited:

Kratos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I already know that tomorrow at 8, I'm gonna see some posts that read....."Sooooooooo, what's the result?" LOL

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could believe the ZR1 winning, very sorted and capable car, but I find the second part hard to believe.

SRT did send a pre-production, unsorted Viper against a fully sorted, proven production car in the ZR1.

Hopefully the later is just jokes by the CF forum.

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If SRT agreed to the test than they must have thought they had a sorted car. I hate to say it (And I'm one of the biggest Viper fans out there) but it's their own dam fault if these rumors are true. They shouldn't have let the new Viper out if couldn't at the bear minimum beat the old ZR1.

Last edited:

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From Corvette Forum, Viper_Vette:
I heard Randy got sideways in the Viper at turn 2,and almost took out a photographer.

The Zr1 won.

The zr1 won. Randy basically said that the new Viper was not driveable at the limits.

not on the thread from the corvetteforum mentioned in this thread.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I read it. There will be some rustled jimmies...

You got that right. I got to say, Motor Trend really hates the Viper. They even bashed the interior....

Very disappointing review regardless. Well, here goes this thread to 12 pages of flaming compiled with justification and I'll be part of it, lol...

madninjaskillz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^Oh yeah. Lots of things askew in that article. I will say it again though. PSC>CORSA. They should have raced both cars on the same tire. Also, seems they didn't like the Viper's brakes.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Randy did the old ACR in 1.35.1 and the new SRT in 1.35.77

When, an engineer ran the old ACR in 1.33.99

Meh. It is still ****ing fast. And I venture to bet someone will smash the ZR1 record in it, seeing as Randy couldn't even beat a time in the ACR set by an engineer.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sugarcoat it all you want but no one can be pleased with these first two real world reviews in and the deafening silence from SRT
regarding their own test numbers.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can look past the MT snobbery and recognize the Gen V's impressive numbers. The Viper Gen V, on it's maiden voyage, beats MT's own track times for the Ferrari 458, Nissan GT-R Black, Porsche GT3 RS, and Audi R8 GT, among others. And we all know the SRT boys have some more tricks up their sleeves, such as the upcoming ACR, or even just the carbon aero kit. I won't deny that I'm disappointed that the ZR1 won, but seriously, smoking a GT-3 RS and the Black edition of Godzilla with a non-ACR Viper is still a tremendous achievement.

Motor Trend's disdain for the Viper is not consistent with nearly every other review written on the new Viper, which praise it's refinement, balance and agility on the track.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow 2.1 seconds a lap slower than a ZR1 on Laguna? SRT don't embarrass yourselves taking this car to Nurburgring to beat ZR1's record. Forget beating any ACR time there either. It lost in a straight line and got demolished in the twisties. Not a good result period. I heard SRT says its faster than the old ACR. I guess we can see that was just hype. Proof in the pudding. I guess more power, and CCB's doesn't sound moronic anymore.

Got to give that ZR1 credit. It's a serious machine but I did not expect it to dominate like this. SRT didn't do there homework well. Consolation is that this pre-production Viper is faster at Laguna than the LFA, GTR etc. Since it is a pre-production hopefully SRT can step the game up before production. 2.1 seconds a lap beating is NOT acceptable IMHO.

Last edited:

stingray23

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pre-production or not, do you really think SRT would give a major magazine like Motortrend a car that is not up to production spec? I dont think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang