Mopar PCM and stock PCM swap back and forth

natsfan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of post about the PCM but what I have read has confused me because most are asking about pcms locked with a different VIN.

Here is my situation. I have a new Mopar Performance PCM. I want to install it in my Viper for track use but also want to be able to put the stock PCM back in when I want to drive the car on the street and so I can pass emissions test. The car is all stock and I plan to keep it that way. Might install smooth tubes at one point. Got the PCM for the improved throttle response and the elimination of skip shift. I figure any hp gain is just a bonus.

My question is: once programmed with my cars vin how hard is it to swap back and forth between PCMs? Will this screw anything up? Some post lead me to believe swapping PCMs back and forth will screw up you odometer reading and could cause problems should you ever try to sale.

Thanks for your help.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
No, you can swap back and forth as long as its on the same car. No issues at all.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
N

natsfan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dan, thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. Now I just have to get the PCM programmed. I have been told the best way is to do it through a Dodge Viper Tech. Does anyone know a good Viper Tech in Salt Lake City Utah?

I have also thought about trying to do it myself. My understanding is that you need a the Chrysler Scan tool. I have looked on line for it, but they seem to be pretty expensive.

Last questions, there are some post about how to install the PCM, but when I click on the link it says I don't have permission to access the post. Why is that? What do I need to do to get access?

Thanks all.

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your car is stock, and you are going to use a off road Mopar ECU, you will have less power, the off road ECU was mapped for cars with Mod up grades , 1:7 rockers, headers, no cats, intake, ect. It will run rich. Look into it, you will see.:usa:

Reaction score
If your car is stock, and you are going to use a off road Mopar ECU, you will have less power, the off road ECU was mapped for cars with Mod up grades , 1:7 rockers, headers, no cats, intake, ect. It will run rich. Look into it, you will see.:usa:

The PCM has opened up parameters to "allow" for modifications, but will also work on a stock car because instead of an A/F of close to 10.5:1 it is closer to 12.8:1 at WOT. It does require more octane to be utilized though, we have tested the PCM on a few stock fittments over the years and there has always been a gain after you put a hundred miles or so on it. There is no way that the A/F richens up by using the Mopar PCM.

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The PCM has opened up parameters to "allow" for modifications, but will also work on a stock car because instead of an A/F of close to 10.5:1 it is closer to 12.8:1 at WOT. It does require more octane to be utilized though, we have tested the PCM on a few stock fittments over the years and there has always been a gain after you put a hundred miles or so on it. There is no way that the A/F richens up by using the Mopar PCM.
When Bob Woodhouse sold me the off road ECU in 1999 he was very adamant the car have headers, intake, 1:7 rockers, no cats and so on for the off road ECU to give any real benefit. With a stock car not much to be had. Well at least on my Sun dyno. I guess things have changed since then, sorry for the wrong info.:dunno:

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, Mark J is the expert, but the G4 version is set up differently then the old Gen II versions.

Natsafan, Yes a dealer or a shop that is familar with the star scan tool. The instructions are very specific on how to program the venom controller and must be followed exactly. Don't know a shop up your way but try to call some of the larger dealers service dept. About 1 hour of labor charge to get it programmed. As Dan C said, easy swap back and forth, should take you 15 minutes first time, 5 minutes after that. Good luck, Mike

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, Mark J is the expert, but the G4 version is set up differently then the old Gen II versions.

Natsafan, Yes a dealer or a shop that is familar with the star scan tool. The instructions are very specific on how to program the venom controller and must be followed exactly. Don't know a shop up your way but try to call some of the larger dealers service dept. About 1 hour of labor charge to get it programmed. As Dan C said, easy swap back and forth, should take you 15 minutes first time, 5 minutes after that. Good luck, Mike
I know Mark is the expert, One of the best out there, I figured things have changed, Thats why I apologized for the wrong info, like my car I am outdated.:( back in the day my car was on and off the dyno, working with Bob W, long distance. Bob and I were one of the first to get the new ECUs , with stock lower end, the off road ECU, intake, heads,cam,1:7R,headers,no cats. 3:55 gears Best pull on 75 deg day 604 hp 622 tq , not bad for an old NA gen 2.:cool: Yes I know all Dynos tell a different story, as much as 50hp or more, but as long as the numbers on the Dyno you are working with go up, you are doing something right.:D

Last edited: