Motor Trend High speed shootout 2003-SRT10 represents

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow...Im stupified by what The SRT10"convertable did against an all out sports car[Mosler MT900] not to mention the new Lambo Murcilago,.....Ok here are the cold numbers for the SRT10.......

0-60: 3.9
1/4 mile: 11.77 @ 123.63 :eek: MT900 11.0 @ 126: Lambo 11.72 @ 122.52
60-0: 97ft-New MT world record
0-100-0: 12.17...It took 8.3 to 100mph and 3.81 secs to decelerate from 100mph..Insanity

Standing Mile: 30.5 @ 167.6 mph.....I remember the GTS beating this number in the 98 shootout...A coupe SRT will surely kill these numbers...Lambo is 30.5 @ 169.2...Aero takes over and now begins to pull the Viper..

100-0 in ft: 274 :eek: You dont really appreciate this number till you see the only car that came close to it...the MT900..Its 2100lbs and the SRT10 beat it to a stop by 1 foot....Nothing else came within 18 feet of this phenominal SRT10's braking capabilities...Honorable mention the Z06 was at 292ft :D
Forget about the Murcialago its way behind at 300ft

Top Speed: 182 not bad for a convertable though they said it was track limited. So given a longer track it would have gone faster ...Lambo topped out at 193 also track limited...Would you believe an unfettered CL55 hit 187 :eek: ...Z06 aero limited to 174..That was its true top speed...Wont go faster...

Now for the roadcourse...Its a figure 8 track that they tested on....The only car to beat the "convertable Viper" was the race car MT900...Lap time for the MT900 was 23.3 secs to the SRT10's 23.9 :eek: .....remember the MT900 weighs 2100lbs and had cheater slicks on...Its not even cleared at a streetcar yet by the government but they included the MT900 as a street car anyway :rolleyes:

Still all in all it was a good test of the Viper and cements the SRT10's improvements over the previous beloved GenII's in the performance catagory...Now since the convertable is this omnipotent[MT's words] I cant wait for the coupe.....

BTW Justin Bell of Viper/Vette fame was the testdriver..

OP
OP
S

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW just for the Z06 guys :D SRT10 was a second faster @ 23.9 and pulled .86g to the Z06 24.8 and .77g's on the figure 8 track....Again the only car to beat the SRT10 was the MT900 with cheater slicks that pulled .90 @ 23.3secs......So no more claims of being able to hang with SRT10 in a stock Z06 in either acceleration or handling.....This was a self-proclaimed Vette man doing the testing...

Im soon to be a Vette owner so dont think Im being biased here....Just giving the better car its due since I was seeing all these claims on many forums about stock Z06's staying with SRT10 and what not....Also in the 1/4 the Z06 was almost 8 mph off the SRT10 and it did a best of 12.4 sec...

I cant believe the Benz even beat it in the 0-60 and 1/4mile....Soon as I get my C5 the modding will have to start pronto...Too many people around here have these new Benz's....Although so far I havent seen any CL55 yet....

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow wee. Awesome news.
Not a real surprise though. Just a matter of time before some good drivers got behind the wheel to show what an SRT-10 can really do.

You must be registered for see images

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this the June issue? I subscribe but have not received it yet.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Time to hit the magazine rack pronto. I believe it. My SRT now has 650 miles on it so I pushed it a little this weekend! It definitely is faster!(almost scary). I look forward to the street SRT coupe. :D

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow - that article by itself is enough reason to renew my M/T subscription. Sweet!

And yes, those new benz's ARE that fast :laugh:

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WoW!!!

Finaly some real tests done fairly, I guess Dodge finaly started spending some advertising dollars with MT.

DBK1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
holy numbers :eek:

What's even crazier is that the Mosler really chucks in at just under 2000 lbs, and depending on which version they were using could come with straight cut gears strictly for racing. No screwing around.

That's sweet stuff, and awesome driving by a magazine to boot(it's a miracle! Oh wait, it's justin bell) :D

OP
OP
S

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DBKZ06 it was the top dog MT900 Photon in this test....

Other cars are: Z06, 575M Maranello, F150 Lightning, SVT Cobra, Jaguar XKR, Murcielago, CL55 Benz, Mitsu Lancer EVO the lone ricer and Mosler MT900 Photon........

They invited the Enzo, 911 GT3, DB7 & Vanquish, and Subie WRX STI but non were available in the states yet.....Saleen S7 was at a movie shoot so it couldnt attend....

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
heh, my dad called me the other day, said his neighbor has a new CL55 with V8 Kompressor on the side.... so they are out there.... :)

so the CL55 will take down the SRT-10 in a highway race?

what did the CL55 run in the 1/4 and trap?

Brooks

Dunn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the SRT-10's numbers in the 1/4, thats the best someone has produced with a genII viper, correct? Wow, can't wait to see what some serious professionals can do with this car.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SRT is not a Gen II Viper, but considered Gen III. Gen I: 1992-1995 (RT/10 only), Gen 1.5: 1996 RT/10, Gen II: 1996 GTS and all 1997-2002s, SRT is the Gen III. The best published 1/4 mile for a Gen II, driven by Evan Smith, went 11.77. It was a 2000 Grey RT/10 (creampuffs are just as able to put down the power).

Dunn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SRT is not a Gen II Viper, but considered Gen III. Gen I: 1992-1995 (RT/10 only), Gen 1.5: 1996 RT/10, Gen II: 1996 GTS and all 1997-2002s, SRT is the Gen III. The best published 1/4 mile for a Gen II, driven by Evan Smith, went 11.77. It was a 2000 Grey RT/10 (creampuffs are just as able to put down the power).
Yeah, thats what I meant, that the Gen III have already matched the Gen II power and times, and still we havent heard times from most of the owners of the Gen III's. Sorry if the response seemed confusing.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome! Proves how good the new Viper is! I'd have expected the Lambo to pull it slightly off the line and to 60mph with its mid-engine... VERY impressed the SRT10 then pulls it in!!! The brakes are now there to take on the Porsches around the track - yippie!

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello;

Thank God that a magazine (using a REAL PRO) is finally giving the SRT it's due credit! I have been excited about the SRT from the beginning, and now that I have put 2,000 miles on the SRT I can't believe how much better it is in every way to me!

Those of us who wanted the SRT had to endure "WHINERGATE". The criticism's were un-ending and downright rude. Every indication from PVO was to make the SRT a world-class performer and retain the "Nature of the original Beast". PVO told us we would be amazed; but NO, the whiner's couldn't see anything with their "styling blinders" on.

Now that I have coined "Area 51" and "Whinergate", I don't think we shoud forget "Heatgate". It seemed that the SRT could just not get a good review while the mags tested mules (apparently) and printed it.

WOW! Thank you all for posting the results from the Motor Trend Shoot-out. I knew the SRT would kick ass when a pro would drive the compared machines in a test. Well Whiner's, "what goes around comes around" it appears.

Thanks again,

Jim :usa: :D

Bwright

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Devastating. Just as I expected. When Car & Driver's report is released in a month or two we will finally have two independent empirical tests to compare. A stock car that can get into the 11's in the 1/4 and who's only limitation against a nearly $300K exotic is just a few degrees of aerodynamic drag. Astonishing. Way to go Dodge.

When the more aerodynamic Coupe arrives in 2007 it will be lights out for the competition.

Must say that CL55 is scary stuff. Worse still is that the CL65 is being prepped for shipping to these shores even as we speak. 608hp and 738 ft.-lbs. of torque. Unbelievable.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep. Went to 3 magazine shops. No where to be found. Wasted my lunch break. Tried Motortrends webpage as well. Still last months issue as well (Blue 350Z convertible on the cover). Dam!!! New York gets everything first... You bastages....

OP
OP
S

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pro behind the wheel:D...Note: when you read the article you will notice some stabs at the Viper...I dont think they like it as much as the Vette..cause they are still gushing about it eventhough the convertable snake treaded all over it...They loved the MT900 even though its wayyyyy less comfortable than the Viper which they noted needs more refinement still...In my opinion they should have tested the Comp Coupe against everything else since it aint street legal like the MT900....

On a side note..The C&D recent shootout had a Venom 800 beating the MT900 on the roadcourse..and we know how modified that car is...This was a bone stock SRT10 only behind by .6 on the track...So to me they should be gushing about how a convertable was able to go toe to toe with an all out fixed roof racecar.....Its a Benz compared to the MT900 interiorwise but they talk about the heat and the need for more refinement :rolleyes:

SRTRICK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand how some of these editors think, do they feel every car should be built to the same goal??? Why can't they just enjoy the differences between different styles of cars?

I personally don't want the Viper to be any more "refined" in the way that a Porsche is, Porsches are nice cars, but I got rid of a Porsche Cab to buy my 00 RT/10 because the Porsche didn't seem exciting enough. It's not my everyday car & I don't want it to seem like it is. Thank God I did get my cupholder, though.

I test drove a current generation Corvette before buying my Viper, the one that they all fawn over, and refined never came into my mind, more like chock full O gimmicks, or possibly, MO switches MO problems. I used to love my Corvette converts, but they were from 1970 & 73, a much simpler time for that particular car. The SRT actually reminds me of my 73 big block in many ways.

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For me, I wish Vipers were LESS refined. My favorite car is my 95 RT-10. It is rude, crude, and lewd, and I love it that way. THAT'S what the magazines miss about the Viper. We buy them (or at least I do) because they ARE more crude than the "fit and finished" Porsche. Crude isn't bad, it simply means that the "priority" of the manufacturer was performance rather than comfort.

I agree with Snakebiten,they should have used a Comp Coupe if they want to pair it off with a MT 900.

On a final note, Justin Bell is subsidized by Corvette for his racing school.

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SRT is an awesome vehicle! I knew the Murcielago would not be able to touch its skidpad and braking numbers, too heavy and too big. The Lambo loses too much time with that [******] shift gate also, takes alot of practice to master it. What i dont understand is how the Viper beats the Lambo to 100mph, but loses in the quarter, but is traveling at higher rate of speed? I think the Lambo driver needed some practice with the shifter. Nevertheless, both the Lambo and SRT Viper go on as the performance cars to beat, trouncing Ferrari yet again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang