My car won't start.....

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hi, Anthony...talked to Martin...would strongly recommend letting him try to help you...may cause a slight delay, BUT it may save you a ride on a flatbed, possible part$$$ that you may/may not need...AND, it is low risk. Martin is a really nice guy for offering!!

Martin2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Listen to Steve! hold tight and I will try to get home early on Thursday for you. I cant stay late cause I have to be in DC in the AM untill late Sunday night.

If you bring your car to a dodge dealer in our area they will be clueless. They never work on vipers, unless its maybe a viper tech. Listen to the guys on the forum, you have 100 viper brains working here for you and one viper brain at the stealership....guy probably dosent even have a viper.....who are you going to trust?

I have had nothing but nightmares when I was younger with my vette at the chevy dealers in our area. From kids driving it and me catching them in the act! To bologny repair bills....just not worth it. Let the car sit in the garage lose a nice weekend at worse big deal there will be plenty of other chances to drive your car this year. Ill try and get my dad to come along, he has his PHD In physics im sure he might be some help haha. He likes working on my viper so Im sure he will tag along for the ride. See you Thursday.

Martin2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, thanks for taking so much time out of your day to help us with our problems, It was good talking with you. Thanks for the advice, I hope it works.

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update***

I decided to have my car towed up to Steve Heitz in Belmont, NH. Heitz is one of the best Viper Techs in the area. I believe he used to be a mechanic for Fitzgerald Motorsports and his new shop is about 75miles from my apartment. I actually had my car brought to him 2 years ago to install my cats and exhaust system. So I figured this would be the best and safest solution. I'm having my friend Martin come over Friday morning so I can use his AAA membership to have my car towed. He has the "plus" membership which gets me 100 miles for free. Since I just have the standard membership I only get 3 miles for free with each additional mile costing $4. So I'll be saving about $300 by having Martin at my apartment to use his AAA card. :D

I will post again once I get my car back and running! Most likely sometime next week or even better over the weekend if it happens to be a quick fix. :2tu:

-Anthony

Kmrumedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the exact same issue last year. I haven't read all three pages of the thread but are you sure it isn't simply your clutch switch? By pass it and see if it fires up before towing.

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ant, if you figure out how to get the EEM out of my car without breaking it you can borrow mine.

Thanks Steve,

I'd rather just have it towed to Heitz and know the problem will be resolved by next week the latest. Just seems like a less stressful decision rather then trying more stuff on my own.

I was wondering though, back in college I had my roommate call a tow for my car since I didn't have AAA and then he came and waited with me and showed the tow truck driver his card and had the car towed, so I figured it wouldn't be a big deal doing it again now. However, do you know if some drivers won't tow other people's cars even if the cardholder of the AAA account is present on the scene? I'm pretty sure all they ask for is your AAA card and maybe license. I haven't had a car towed in awhile so I'm not sure if they actually ask for your registration, etc., to prove if it's your car or if that doesn't even matter as long as the cardholder is there to give them his card since Martin will be using his membership to tow my car..

orsini112

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Steve,

I'd rather just have it towed to Heitz and know the problem will be resolved by next week the latest. Just seems like a less stressful decision rather then trying more stuff on my own.

I was wondering though, back in college I had my roommate call a tow for my car since I didn't have AAA and then he came and waited with me and showed the tow truck driver his card and had the car towed, so I figured it wouldn't be a big deal doing it again now. However, do you know if some drivers won't tow other people's cars even if the cardholder of the AAA account is present on the scene? I'm pretty sure all they ask for is your AAA card and maybe license. I haven't had a car towed in awhile so I'm not sure if they actually ask for your registration, etc., to prove if it's your car or if that doesn't even matter as long as the cardholder is there to give them his card since Martin will be using his membership to tow my car..

Maybe you should get a membership and stop freeloading off you friends :D

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm surprised AAA will allow it quite honestly. This kind of "abuse" (unless it's not clearly defined in the contract) must cost them huge money every year.

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I do have a membership, the standard one though... I tried upgrading on the phone yesterday to the "plus" membership, but the guy said I wouldn't be able to get the rate of being towed 100miles for free until I received my new card in the mail which would prob take another week. Martin actually told me I couldn't get the "plus" membership yet anyways until I have been a member for at least 2 years and I'm pretty sure it's only been a little over a year... I'm not sure if that's true or not, but either way, I couldn't get the upgraded membership for myself right now.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AAA covers a member regardless of the car they are "driving". I would upgrade to AAA Plus in any event. Gives you a 100 mile tow range. Can't upgrade though until your membership is at least 1 year old.

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm surprised AAA will allow it quite honestly. This kind of "abuse" (unless it's not clearly defined in the contract) must cost them huge money every year.

I'm not sure really, that's why I thought I would ask. I mean either way its worth a shot to save myself $300. Like I said before tho, my roommate did this for me while I was in college about 7 years ago. So I'm not sure if things are still the same way or not, because I could just have my friend Martin tell the guy it's his car anyway. I'm just pretty sure they only ask to see your AAA card, and possibly your license. I can't even remember if you assign a car to your account upon getting a AAA membership. I don't think I ever did... so there wouldn't be anyway of them being able to tell you which cars you could have towed or not. However, if anyone knows please correct me if I'm wrong.

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AAA covers a member regardless of the car they are "driving". I would upgrade to AAA Plus in any event. Gives you a 100 mile tow range. Can't upgrade though until your membership is at least 1 year old.

Alright cool, so my friend Martin is wrong then. It's not 2 years, it's only 1 year until you can upgrade to a plus membership. If that's the case I will probably upgrade this today when I get home. :2tu:

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright cool, so my friend Martin is wrong then. It's not 2 years, it's only 1 year until you can upgrade to a plus membership. If that's the case I will probably upgrade this today when I get home. :2tu:

When I upgraded it was a year. I assume they haven't changed the time frame.

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, Anthony.

Any update as to the diagnosis???

Steve,

Heitz called me on monday telling me it was the PCM, it needed to be replaced and would cost me about $800 unfortunately. However, he called me today and said the car is up and running and all set to go. So I will be driving up with my father tomorrow after work to get it. It will be nice to finally drive it again and actually "hear" my car turn on and run haha. It was also good timing for the holiday weekend since I'll be getting it detailed this Saturday with Martin.

So now my next adventure is finding some Eibachs to buy and heading down to Tator's to have them installed!

I wanted to thank you again though for all your help, it was greatly appreciated. :2tu:

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,

I just read the link to that thread you pasted. I definitely shouldn't have tried jump starting the car with the portable battery starter at 200amps, let alone also jumping the car with my fathers pickup truck lol.

Good info to know now tho haha :2tu:

So if the car dies, how do you get it started again? You can only put it on the battery tender, and you have to wait until the battery gets charged up again? The tender only charges at 2 and 4amps.... That would take a very long time to charge if you wanted to use the car! :omg:

Regardless, I'm going to make sure it doesn't die again and always use the Tender if it's going to be parked for more the one day. However, I left the car off the Tender for just one day last time, and it died anyways. I don't get it. Especially since, if I travel anywhere or go on any roadtrips the car is going to have to sit out without being on a tender with no access to an outlet. I am going to get my battery checked as soon as i can once I get my car back to see how the battery actually is.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Anthony, I usually use a simple 10 amp charger when attempting to charge a "dead" battery...in or out of the car...using the tenders just to maintain charge.

I also have/use a portable 12 volt D/C "booster" pack...which is merely a lead-acid battery in a plastic case!

If I feel that I HAVE to use another car, I FIRST try the "jump" with the engine off in the "donor" car.

As noted, NO MORE using the "boost to start" option on the big A/C powered units for our Vipers!! :)

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright, I guess I might have to consider buying another charger with a stronger charge then my 2/4amp tender. Is a charger with 10amps the best solution? I just want something I can throw on there that won't fry my PCM again but will charge the car in the fastest and safest way possible. I'm not sure if that's what happened, but I can't think of anything else that could have caused my PCM to be no good. :rolleyes:

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use "The Battery Tender Plus." Bought it from Snake OYL products. I think you might be able to get on from JonB @ partsrack as well. I have one for both my vipers and have never had an issue. Car starts right up.

Battery Tender :: Battery & Battery Maintenance :: Electrical :: Snake-Oyl Products :: Dodge Viper Products, Parts, Accessories:)
Alright, I guess I might have to consider buying another charger with a stronger charge then my 2/4amp tender. Is a charger with 10amps the best solution? I just want something I can throw on there that won't fry my PCM again but will charge the car in the fastest and safest way possible. I'm not sure if that's what happened, but I can't think of anything else that could have caused my PCM to be no good. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use "The Battery Tender Plus." Bought it from Snake OYL products. I think you might be able to get on from JonB @ partsrack as well. I have one for both my vipers and have never had an issue. Car starts right up.

Battery Tender :: Battery & Battery Maintenance :: Electrical :: Snake-Oyl Products :: Dodge Viper Products, Parts, Accessories:)

Hey Bob, thanks for the link. I actually had that same brand tender, except I don't believe it was the plus. It broke unfortunately and I bought another different tender at Sears back in December which still works fine. I'm just concerned if my car ever dies again, rather then trying to jump start it what should I use that won't have too high of a charge, but higher then what I'm currently using. My tender allows you to choose a charge of either 2 or 4amps as I previously mentioned. Do you know what that one charges at? Besides, I don't think I need another tender, I just wasn't sure if there was another type of charger other then a tender that could be used when you simply can not jump start the car.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It says that it is 1 1/4 amp. This one works in three stages. I remember when I bought my ACR it took the thing about a day to get the battery up to a full charge.
Hey Bob, thanks for the link. I actually had that same brand tender, except I don't believe it was the plus. It broke unfortunately and I bought another different tender at Sears back in December which still works fine. I'm just concerned if my car ever dies again, rather then trying to jump start it what should I use that won't have too high of a charge, but higher then what I'm currently using. My tender allows you to choose a charge of either 2 or 4amps as I previously mentioned. Do you know what that one charges at? Besides, I don't think I need another tender, I just wasn't sure if there was another type of charger other then a tender that could be used when you simply can not jump start the car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave