My town has a new DARE car

V

Venomiss

Wonder if the police car has a video.....or any business or bystander saw it?
Don't want to pass any judgement without knowing the whole story.:eater:

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We can all agree that what he did was moronic, but there is no reason the cops should have confiscated the vehicle and turned it into a D.A.R.E car. He does deserve some stiff punishment, community service, etc....but there is no way in HELL his ride should have been taken. I would sue the bee-geezous out of that city and the police department for all I could get.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well if he isn't tying to get his car back through legal measures.... (If they painted it already then I suspect he isn't). I would go drop a malitaff cocktail through the window and watch it burn:evilmad: . Better to see it die by the rightfull hands of its owner than by a bunch of misguided cops. Just put the poor car out of it's misery.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The owner is an idiot....however at $50k for a black 00 GTS with cognac interior was a good buy! but def was an idiot.

--RS

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What speed is the magic number where they take your car? Who gets to decide? Is it before or after they catch you?

That stuff scares me, it's like the people who want to sock it to the rich with taxes. What if they lower the bar to YOUR income bracket? You have tons more stuff that the down trodden don't, so share.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just talked to a guy that has gone before and he says that cars usually start lining up between 4 and 5. So I will be getting there at 4 and waiting for the DARE car to show before I pick my final spot.

Is it by the HOBO? I vaguely know the area. If it isnt raining, Ill try to find it. 2000 grey GTS

OP
OP
Y

yogibayer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it by the HOBO? I vaguely know the area. If it isnt raining, Ill try to find it. 2000 grey GTS

Nowhere near the hobo. Downtown plainfield is where rte 30, rte 126 and rte 59 all converge. The road is Lockport street west of rt 59. Hope I can still clutch tomorrow, tweaked my MCL playing basketball tonight :(

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,

I really believe from reading that article that "donating" the car to DARE was a plea agreement and for instance if he's making a couple million a year, he'd lose more than that defending the case and if/when found guilty serving the small jail sentence. Again, it was the felony eluding he should have fought harder with some sort of excuse.

I've seen plenty of felony eluding on Cops and not once did they ever say they were seizing the vehicle....impounding I expect with hefty charges to release it. Any seizure I've seen was always tied to drug offences.

This guy should have fought harder to save his ride!

Regards,
Aaron

Photog1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
great...yet another viper that will be driven and abused by folks that don't truly understand and respect the cars power and looks. Door dings, ragged out motor, etc...all things to come for this poor Viper...

You took the words right out of my mouth!:sadpace:

What an idiot trying to elude the police in a Viper.:mad: I am sure there are thousands of black Vipers in Plainfield so the police would never be able to find it. WHAT A F KING IDIOT. ***** should not be aloud near a Viper again.:mad:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
This car may have been "donated" in a plea deal, but in California, they don't even need your consent. If caught street racing, your car can be confiscated outright. No trial, just summary judgement, suppported only by accusations.

Whatever happened to due process under the law? Why do conservative law and order types support the loss of our constitutional rights? Why did the FBI sharpshooter kill Randy Weaver's wife, baby in her arms, as she stood innocently in the doorway? The answer is blowin' in the wind.

Death is coming to our republic, by a thousand cuts. We frogs are sitting in the proverbial waters, temperature ever rising, yet complacent. Can you feel the heat yet?

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What speed is the magic number where they take your car? Who gets to decide? Is it before or after they catch you?

That stuff scares me, it's like the people who want to sock it to the rich with taxes. What if they lower the bar to YOUR income bracket? You have tons more stuff that the down trodden don't, so share.:rolleyes:

Like I said judge, jury, and executioner. Who's to say the police are telling the truth at all in high-stakes seizures like this? Since he didn't complain much, I can only assume the guy was guilty, but what if the cop just wanted his car? Since it's the cops word, the accusation apparently is enough, and there's almost no recourse, the innocent are SOL. The system is not supposed to work that way. It's supposed to work for the benefit of the people, not the government. And if you think this kind of seizure benefits you, you just aren't seeing how misguided you are, and probably won't unless it's your turn. Then you'll be complaining and no one else will be listening. Hell, even the DARE program is a joke -there's been evidence kids who went through the program were actually more likely to use drugs. And I agree with the earlier post that the only message confiscating a drug dealer's car (not the case here) and parading it around gives is that crime pays and if you want the bling you should go into drug dealing. Although Vic was a little melodromatic, he is correct. We are giving away our rights by leaps and bounds.

Viper TT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anyone going out tonite to the plainfield car show? i was thinking about cruisin down there.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am on the fence as to whether or not his car should have been confiscated but where do you draw the line? Think about it guys........127 in a 35!! A residential steet as well. Does not matter if nobody was hurt or not but that is just friggen insane! Any of you have kids? Do you want them even near a road where some ******* is going that fast? I can't remember the number of times I have had a little boy or girl run out into the road to fetch a ball that got away from them, especially in my neighborhood where there are a lot of kids around. Going the speed limit, you can hopefully stop in time but what is the stopping distance of somebody going that fast?
Some of you can preach that it is to severe of a penalty and how they shouldn't take away his car but I say that it isn't severe enough.
I hope he was charged with a boatload, including being stupid.

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree. What is worse 180 in a 65 or 127 in a 35? How many people on this board have shown their GPS readings or bragged about "opening it up?" It just doesn't rise to the level of seizing someone's (expensive) property. No one was killed or hurt. It should result in a jail sentence, fine , and community service. I hope the driver is suing to get his car back, with damages due to the jacked up paint job. Some ****** Barney Fife is probably going to wreck it anyway.

DrDJ
Roads with 65mph speed limits are usually very straight, and very wide (highways). Roads marked 35 mph are usually residential where kids can be present. I would venture to say, any day of the week, it is much much safer doing that speed overage on the highway than a ****ty paved, narrow side street. I think the fact that he RAN weighs more then the fact that he was doing 100 over the limit when it came to losing his car. If the retard just stopped when he was caught red handed he may have just lost his license and paid a heavy fine. But probably still had his car in the garage. The last insult would be if it was financed and he still is required to pay for the cops new ride. ARRRGH!!!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This guy did something stupid but didn't hurt anybody and the cops get a Viper.

If the guy would have hurt somebody the victim would have to take him to court to get the Viper.

Anybody else see a problem with the system?

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So how about this scenareo that I have read about.
Cop tries to get involved in a high speed chase (there are general rules for cops as to what is a safe pursuit or not) and he makes a poor judgment and chooses to go after somebody instead of calling ahead and in turn wrecks himself or causes a wreck injuring someone along the way. Should his cruiser be turned over to the general public because he made a poor choice that could or did get someone killed? Let the punishment justify the crime.

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not take away his car, house, bank and retirement accounts, blind him so he can't drive or work anymore, then throw him in jail and toss the key all because he could have hurt someone? At the same time, the clown that drove his dragster into a crowd of kids, killing 6 of them and critically injuring others while doing something completely assinine and illegal isn't even going to get charged with a crime. :dunno:

DrDJ

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roads with 65mph speed limits are usually very straight, and very wide (highways). Roads marked 35 mph are usually residential where kids can be present. I would venture to say, any day of the week, it is much much safer doing that speed overage on the highway than a ****ty paved, narrow side street. I think the fact that he RAN weighs more then the fact that he was doing 100 over the limit when it came to losing his car. If the retard just stopped when he was caught red handed he may have just lost his license and paid a heavy fine. But probably still had his car in the garage. The last insult would be if it was financed and he still is required to pay for the cops new ride. ARRRGH!!!

You are missing the point. The point is when you have a system in which cops are ticket-happy just for the sake of being bastages, plus you add the incentive of a brand new sports car, you have even more chance for abuse of the system. Maybe this guy is guilty, sounds like he pleaded. Maybe he isn't. Only one person here has ever been on that road, Yogibayer. And this is what he said:
My son's school is on that road within the 1 mile (less than 30 seconds at his speed) quoted in the article and there is no way he could have been doing the speed previously and was slowing down or something of the sort, because the lead up road is so bad that I fear to take my 4X4 down it at any rate of speed.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This guy did something stupid but didn't hurt anybody and the cops get a Viper.

If the guy would have hurt somebody the victim would have to take him to court to get the Viper.

Anybody else see a problem with the system?

as always chuck see's it clearly. good point !!!

V

Venomiss

Hi Mary,
I’m trying to get more information about the driver and the incident, I don’t have a copy of the report yet but am hoping to get one soon. I do know that drugs were not involved in the incident, according to police. The officer I talked to today thought the driver’s license was suspended or revoked at the time, but wasn’t sure.

I’ll keep you posted!

Janet

Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 4:19 PM
To: Janet
Subject: Story.Response

Dear Janet,

I read the article you wrote about the Viper now becoming a D.A.R.E. vehicle.

Can you a few questions for me?

Is there a video of what this guy did from the police cruiser? Or bystanders who witnessed this?

Were drugs or former violations included in this offense?

I am very interested in any information you may have.

Thank you,

Mary Marshall

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree completely. Seizures should not be condoned or permitted except for very specific crimes. And no misdemeanor can qualify. Period. In effect it should only be permitted if the property is the result or method for commiting a felony. Such as drug running.

Good letters to the editors. Let us know if they respond.

Reminds me of boat seizures due to unproven claims of drug running. There needs to be a direct relationship between the crime and the property and proven in the court of law. This is not a police state.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I was in college in AZ, a friend's father and a bunch of his buddies took an RV down to Mexico. Just over the border they got a flat and had it fixed locally. Driving on, they were stopped by Mexican police and lo-and-behold, the spare tire was full of marijuana. Like anyone, especially a bunch of middle-age businessmen, would smuggle *** into Mexico from the U.S. Of course, their RV was confiscated and they never saw it again as far as I know.

Think that could never happen here? Things happen when the climate is right for them to happen. When you relinquish your rights against unreasonable search and seizure, you are forming that exact type of climate. My point all along has been just that. If it isn't happening already, it is inevitable to do so sometime soon.

We are on a slippery slope to a police state serving the government first and the people only when it's convenient. The truly sad part is, unlike the founding fathers we stupidly think we emulate, we are voting our way into the very system they shed blood to shrug off. Democracy as a bell-shaped curve. Who would have thought?

OP
OP
Y

yogibayer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a map of the area from google

You must be registered for see images attach

The green arrow is where the school is. He was headed north (opposite direction of the arrow) on Essington (I know that because he ended up in an industrial park and that's the direction he would need to be going to end up there).

Essington south of 135th street is an utter nightmare. There is no good direction to have come from in a viper here. So he was probably in a bad mood from the road he had just driven on. It is 1 mile from 135th street to 127th street and a stop sign at both intersections. As you can see there are no driveways on the road, except for the school's. The entire section of road is clearly marked 35 MPH limit and was in 2006.

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We are on a slippery slope to a police state serving the government first and the people only when it's convenient. The truly sad part is, unlike the founding fathers we stupidly think we emulate, we are voting our way into the very system they shed blood to shrug off. Democracy as a bell-shaped curve. Who would have thought?

Agreed, I think the Patriot Act is a piece of crap as well.......

On the lighter side, I just got back from there. Heres a pic of the "POLICE" car.

Last edited: