my trans just threw up.

MoparBoyy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was heading up to Jacksonville (100+ miles) for a supercar show with some friends. after some fun on the hwy i was starting to notice a smell of oil burning, but not engine oil. i thought it might have been the hwy since we were in a contruction zone. then smoke started to come into the interior via the shifter, i honestly thought the car was on fire, the smoke cleared and we were almost at one of the our stops to meet up with more people, go to push the clutch in and its like its not even there. pumped it a few times and it came back a little enough to get it out of gear and into 3rd as i was on the off ramp. the pedal was very soft. stopped at the fuel station could not find anything wrong, no leaks, no clutch parts hanging out the bottom of the trans, even the clutch fluid was on the up and up. So i figured i would turn around and head home, as long as i could get it in 6th there was only a few stops before i got it back to the shop. drove down the hwy at 65 the whole way home and go to push the clutch in on the off ramp and it feels like nothing is wrong, trans downshifts, goes into gear, fine and dandy. the smell of burnt' gear lube is still in the air. has a very slight noise from the transmission i noticed at lower speeds but otherwise ok.

pull it into the shop and find there is no reverse, i can't even push it into gear like its not even there. put it up on the lift, no leaks, clutch looked ok. So figured I would pull the trans to get a look at the slave and clutch.

drained the fluid and it stunk so badly and looked horrible. lots of metal debris in the transmission. clutch and slave looked fine, signs of wear but nothing is broken.

i will tear down the trans next week when i get back to work, didn't feel like it today.

here is the fluid, it was changed about 6k miles ago, so it should not be this bad, i'm guessing the smoke and smell was from transmission overheating internally, we'll see when i get it apart.

Attachments

• IMG_20121020_101038.jpg
    IMG_20121020_101038.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 210

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
and just in case it isn't obvious, the heat from the transmission BBQ probably boiled the fluid in the slave cylinder, so you got no pressure until the temperature went down.

Please post pictures of the post-mortem examination !

OP
OP
MoparBoyy

MoparBoyy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
and just in case it isn't obvious, the heat from the transmission BBQ probably boiled the fluid in the slave cylinder, so you got no pressure until the temperature went down.

ya that was kind of what i was thinking, but man if the trans got that hot, i'm sure there is bad things waiting for me inside the trans.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Worst case scenario I have a spare transmission up here in RI for sale.

That sounds best case to me. I know Alex is a Viper tech and gets a discount on Viper parts, but wouldn't it be easier to just slap a new (or used) tranny in and call it a day? When I lost reverse, Jon B got me a brand new (still in crate) Gen 3 trans for less than I was quoted to rebuild my Gen 1 trans. Direct bolt-in.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks, MoparBoyy...but would "the stock mopar fluid" you mentioned be Dexron III which came in the 97 Vipers, or one of the two contemporary approved fluids?

AJ usmc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds kinda like what happened when my cousin bottomed out his jetta and cripmed the trans cooler lines... your clutch plate/surface on your flywheel looks like it has heat/hard spots but that may be the pic or greasy fingerprints. (which may cause the hard spots.)

OP
OP
MoparBoyy

MoparBoyy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, MoparBoyy...but would "the stock mopar fluid" you mentioned be Dexron III which came in the 97 Vipers, or one of the two contemporary approved fluids?

the mopar sythentic manual trans fulid, dont got the part number off the top of my head.

sounds kinda like what happened when my cousin bottomed out his jetta and cripmed the trans cooler lines... your clutch plate/surface on your flywheel looks like it has heat/hard spots but that may be the pic or greasy fingerprints. (which may cause the hard spots.)

trans cooler lines? on a manual trans? there is heat spots on the clutch but nothing bad or overheated, just normal wear and tear.

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Alex, sorry to hear your having troubles - if it makes you feel any better I've got my trans out at the moment as well (4th time in 5 years of ownership) - don't you just love it - wish I'd changed the clutch and slave cylinder back in 2007 - would have saved me 2 of those 4 trans removals - doh - are you still running stock?
Good luck - keep us posted.
Ade.
PS Remember that 2nd bricked PCM? I found someone that managed to get it unbricked for me. :2tu:

Last edited:

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did 4 quarts of fluid come out when you pulled the plug? New fluid with 6k miles since change could equate to someone getting distracted, not knowing, or only putting a quart or two back in. Just asking who did the trans service.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did 4 quarts of fluid come out when you pulled the plug? New fluid with 6k miles since change could equate to someone getting distracted, not knowing, or only putting a quart or two back in. Just asking who did the trans service.

I believe HE IS the tech.

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look what Postie delivered this morning...

You must be registered for see images attach

You wanna fit one of these Alex - while you've got it all apart.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235