My viper failed smog!!!

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Because I purchased this car out of state, the state of CA required that a smog check be done. The test came back very very clean, but I FAILED. The reason? Well, before I had it shipped back here, it was in the dealer to have some recalls done and to fix the AC unit that died when the bolt/cam was done. Apparently, to do that, I guess the battery was disconnected... Well, the smog machine detected it. It detected that "in layman's language" that the engine was relearning, so would not allow a smog pass. The tech says that I need to drive it around and wait for the engine to complete the relearn process before it will pass. How long will that take? I have driven more than 100 miles already? Anyone has any idea?

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't have a full tank. Drive "spiritedly" on the way there. Do several start/stop and on/off cycles.

Mine failed too - but it was for "not readys" not values out of range or real problems. Not a problem really, just wasn't enough data in the OBDII system to report "All Systems OK"

You should be fine after driving it that far.

vegas guy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't PANIC!!! Mine was shipped from out of state with only 20 miles on it. The dealer told me to drive the **** out of it and then smog it. It will pass it just needs to learn.

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
From the 2003 Viper owners manual page 74 "Malfuntion Indicator Light" - MIL light or engine light depending on what you like.

"If certain self-diagnostic monitors are not complete, the light starts flashing 14 seconds after the key is switched on and will continue flashing for approximately 11 seconds. If the OBD II monitors have completed, the MIL lamp will not flash as indicated above."

Keep in mind that the light will come on as part of the "bulb check"... so wait until the lamp tells you if you are ready, it will be steady instead of flashing. This will save trips to the CARB station.

Keep in mind that the lamp flash routine does not show if you start the engine, simply key the ignition to "Run", and don't start the engine. If you start the engine, the light will go out completely and you won't be able to check readiness.

OP
OP
V

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Light still flashing. So how long or many miles will it take for the learning process? I've driven more than 100 miles in 1 week already, however, the longest drive was about 20 miles. Most of the driving was very "spirited" up to a slow 110 miles. :smirk:

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PCM is the computer.

I'm fighting this right now on my 99 RT.

If you get yourself an OBDII scanner, it will tell you (w/o going to the smog station) which monitors have run and which haven't. Or when you get to a smog station, some of them will allow you to "check" the computer w/o running the smog test. not all will do this for you, but the equipment has the capability.

Dodge dealers can connect a complex scanner called a DRB III to the car that tells them exactly what conditions need to be met in order to get the car to run its checks... and if you have a friend at a dealership, you can find out which monitors haven't run and then have their tech join you in the car for a drive with the DRB III. It shouldn't take but 10 or 15 minutes to get all the sensors to run IF you a) know which ones need to run and b) have the DRB.

More than likely, the Heated O2, the Catalyst, and the Evap Monitor are being a bit tempermental... some of the tests require a cold start and some idling... some require driving at car at a certain speed for X amount of time and then slowing down w/o touching the break from X MPH to Y MPH...

I've heard stories about being switching out PCMs and that fixing the problems... but for me, it hasn't so far. I've switched to two of them and still can't get all of my "checks" to run.

Good luck!

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vincent -
Try it again - they don't charge you for re-checks (or at least they don't in NC...) I was also doing the light flash test - probably incorrectly, but the second time I brought it in it passed with EASE.

OP
OP
V

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
well the smog guys are my friends. They showed me the test.... I did not look at it much, but some of the emmisions were result were an incredible "zero"....they were saying how clean this car's emmision was.

OP
OP
V

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Now you all have me losing sleep now. I am worried now. Any chance it WON'T pass smog in CA? What happens if it fails again next week?

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vin,

Take your car to Ted May and have him take a look at it. He's our local Viper Tech and has probably forgotten more about Vipers then most of us will ever know. Plus he's local.

Valaya Racing
1854 Almaden Rd
San Jose, CA 95125
408-448-8811

Now you all have me losing sleep now. I am worried now. Any chance it WON'T pass smog in CA? What happens if it fails again next week?

OP
OP
V

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
GOOD NEWS. After about 250 miles, now that I turn on the Acc, the engine light does not flash after 14 seconds anymore. It stays lit....that means that the test by OBDii has completed. That mostly means that I will pass smog then. Will keep you all posted.