My Viper is a 5 speed....

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rather than change to 3.55 gears, you can do what I did; just change out 5th and 6th gears. I went with closer ratio 5th and 6th gears, so the car would pull harder in 5th.

Gas consumption suffered a little, but not much, and the car no longer bogs when shifting hard from 4th into 5th. 5th is now .8 and 6th is .62 (compared with stock gears of .74 and .5)

Kai, Where did you buy these gears and do you have parts numbers. Is there a web site for these gears?

Also do you have the ratios for ST thru 6th handy? :drive:

Thanks,

Vypr Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kai, Where did you buy these gears and do you have parts numbers. Is there a web site for these gears?

Thanks,

Robbie,

There you go:

http://www.gforcetransmissions.com/tran_gt-56.asp

http://www.gforcetransmissions.com/T56Ratios1.pdf

Hope this helps!

I plan on installing 0.83 fifth and 0.7 sixth gear ratio with a 3.55 diff on my SRT-10.

I know, this is not for everybody, but my Viper will be much livelier after these mods, obviously @ the expense of gas mileage, but hey, gas prices are coming down (@ least for now).

Chuck 98 RT/10 made the interesting comment that he is aiming for 500.000 miles on the odometer.

Good for him.

So, how many miles to date Chuck?

Who has the highest mileage Viper out there? How many miles?

I guess this could be a new thread or maybe there is one already.

Phil

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
107,800 so far.

You must be registered for see images

WOW--impressive indeed, as most people want low mileage on their Vipers, you like us, want to DRIVE these cars!!! We hope to get up in the miles as you have....very impressive indeed!~! (and yeah, any replacement parts so far due to the *high* mileage--any issues?) ~juli~

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 3.55 gear made 6th a little more usable for me. Don't use 6th a lot mainly on the expressway.

Put over 10,000 miles in a year.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good for you, Chuck! :)

That's impressive!:2tu:

Any major repairs or replacements?

Phil

AC went out is the worst.
Timing cover oil leak.
Driver's side window motor.
Faulty weld on oil cooler.
Repainted passenger side sill because of cat heat.
Hard top has a couple stripped out screws and the felt droops.
Soft top is worn.
Too much AC/DC blew out the speakers and amp thousands of miles ago.
Repainted the hood speakers, they get a little nasty at about the 8-year mark.
Valve covers are bubbling a bit.
Interior still looks great.

Everybody that sees the car can't believe I have over 100K on it.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rather than change to 3.55 gears, you can do what I did; just change out 5th and 6th gears. I went with closer ratio 5th and 6th gears, so the car would pull harder in 5th.

Gas consumption suffered a little, but not much, and the car no longer bogs when shifting hard from 4th into 5th. 5th is now .8 and 6th is .62 (compared with stock gears of .74 and .5)
I have the same lower 5th and 6th ratios and they are awesome. Nice even steps through the gears from 1st through 6th. I never drive on long trips so I have no idea about gas mileage, but with the 3.55s in the rear this is how the car should have been geared stock.

Last edited:

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks,
They come from the Aston Martin version of the T-56 and are available from Rockland Gear in New York for sure, but probably other places as well. I chewed up gears on my input shaft and had to have my tranny rebuilt. Adding the shorter ratio 5th and 6th cost me an additional $1,000 installed (which included turning the shaft they fit on down a little). Don't think I would do it if the tranny was working fine as the R&R costs would add another $500 to that price, but if you ever have to open the tranny up for any reason it is a no-brainer.

Stock 5th = .75:1 and stock 6th = .50:1 so going to .80 and .64 is significant.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Robbie,

There you go:

http://www.gforcetransmissions.com/tran_gt-56.asp

http://www.gforcetransmissions.com/T56Ratios1.pdf

Hope this helps!

I plan on installing 0.83 fifth and 0.7 sixth gear ratio with a 3.55 diff on my SRT-10.

I know, this is not for everybody, but my Viper will be much livelier after these mods, obviously @ the expense of gas mileage, but hey, gas prices are coming down (@ least for now).

Phil

Phil,

Thanks for the great information. I agree about gas mileage. Who cares.

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can't drive comfortably at 60 mph in 6th on the highway, either you are going up a steep incline or something is wrong with your engine.

DrDJ

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Vypr Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phil,

Do you know what MPH you will be running at say 2000 RPM'S in 5TH and 6TH with stock rear gears. I would want to be doing 80 MPH in 6TH gear at 2000 RPM'S.

Hi Rob,

Using this gear calculator:

http://www.rocky-road.com/calculator.html

With a stock 3.07 rear axle ratio, 27.2 " diameter rear tires, 0.83 fifth and 0.7 sixth gear ratios, speeds are 2000 rpm are:

5th gear: 63.54 mph (stock 0.74=71.27mph) [3.55 rear axle + 0.83 5th=54.95mph]
6th gear: 75.24 mph (stock 0.5=105.24mph) [3.55 rear axle + 0.70 6th=65.15mph]

Note that with stock gear you would have a theoretical top speed (assuming that you had the power to push the car to this speed) of 316.43 mph @ 6,000 rpm.

With the set-up I am planning for my car, my speed in 6th gear @ 6,000rpm would be 195.49mph, more or less accepted top speed for SRT-10's.

The major difference is that I will get there much, much quicker (could be interesting to do a one mile standing start race).

If you want to cruise @ 80mph with the engine running at 2000rpm, your closest choice would be 0.64 sixth gear: 82.4mph with the 3.07 stock rear axle ratio.

Phil

Vypr Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phil,

Thanks for the great information. I agree about gas mileage. Who cares.

Rob,

You are welcome!

Besides, aren't gas prices dropping?

As I repeatedly said, this is not for everybody, as we all have our own style, likes and dislikes when it comes to driving our car.

The Viper is a fantastic platform for any number of modifications, from mild to wild, which is the main reason I bought the car. Not for what the Viper is but for what I can turn it into to fit my driving style and habits.

I am a bit surprised at the lack of intellectual flexibility that appears on this thread at times. To each his own!

You have not seen me bashing anybody for their driving styles on this board or make comments like: Hey why don't you put an automatic in our car, so with converter slippage you could cruise @ 950 rpm instead of 1250.......

Hey some automatics even come with paddle shifters too.......

To each his own!

Phil

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rob,

You are welcome!

Besides, aren't gas prices dropping?

As I repeatedly said, this is not for everybody, as we all have our own style, likes and dislikes when it comes to driving our car.

The Viper is a fantastic platform for any number of modifications, from mild to wild, which is the main reason I bought the car. Not for what the Viper is but for what I can turn it into to fit my driving style and habits.

I am a bit surprised at the lack of intellectual flexibility that appears on this thread at times. To each his own!

You have not seen me bashing anybody for their driving styles on this board or make comments like: Hey why don't you put an automatic in our car, so with converter slippage you could cruise @ 950 rpm instead of 1250.......

Hey some automatics even come with paddle shifters too.......

To each his own!

Phil

Intellectual flexibility?!? Is that a polite word for hard ass? And glad to see at least one other person not really caring about gas mileage. Get a VW for that.

FSTENUF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i just got back from a road trip and i have to say. i ran the car in 6th for part of the trip but i enjoyed it much more in 5th gear. when i drive it in 6th at anything less then 75 mph it sounds and feels not rite. i have coarse exhust and smooth boar intakes. and i changed the gearing this spring and wished i had went with the 3:73 not the 3:55 i installed. driving in western pa on the turnpike and long grades it is just about worlthless. if you are turning 1200-1700 rpm's it will pull you around. but it's a VIPER not a mini van. hit the pedal on the right and go!!!!!!!:headbang:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte