My viper viewed from an invisible sense....

justingeer82

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last week i bought a FLIR (forward looking infra red) camera for my business. I finally got around to snapping some pics of the viper with it. Enjoy! Ive learnt so much about thermodynamics with this camera its unreal.

Attachments

• IR_0158.jpg
    IR_0158.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 111
  • IR_0159.jpg
    IR_0159.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 130
  • IR_0160.jpg
    IR_0160.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 146
  • IR_0161.jpg
    IR_0161.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 105
  • IR_0162.jpg
    IR_0162.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 102
OP
OP
J

justingeer82

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All of these were taken while the car was idling after a short ride. You can see how cool the intake manifold is due to the cool air rushing in. This explains why at 3600rpm it begins to feel like a nitrous button is pressed! The cold dense air slamming the back of the intake valve in sync with the slight pressure boost due to the tuned runners. The shot of the side pipes blowing out exhaust gasses explains in detail why i get "dusted" when I creep in a gravel parking lot.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very interesting. Wonder why the outside of what appears to be the front tire is green? Thx for posting.....I can think of other places where that camera would produce interesting results......

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very Nice! It would be cool to see some shots of the side sills as well. Even better would be before and after shots when converting to high flow cats. I thought about doing this but the company camera that I have is not very portable and has to be tethered to computer so it is not very practical.
That said, ain't Thermography a kick!!

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very interesting. Wonder why the outside of what appears to be the front tire is green? Thx for posting.....I can think of other places where that camera would produce interesting results......

It really depends on the tightness!!!

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The tire is green because it is still cooling down. It is not just outside that is green, that just happens to be the only visible portion higher up. Look where the side sill ends and you can see more of the tire and that the temp appears to be uniform across the tread.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this a video camera, or picture type camera? Interesting pics.

The kind I've seen showed you a real time image and let you take stills as you desired. The home inspector I used a couple years ago when I bought my house had one, and ended up finding a leaking pipe behind sheet rock in one of the rooms. I've wanted one ever since, because there were no visible signs otherwise. The nice ones are $$$ though.

OP
OP
J

justingeer82

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a FLIR Infracam SD. They retail for $5000 and I bought mine used for $1600. The front tires are green due to them being cooler than the back tires (red) I had a little fun in it before I parked for shooting. I can see the studs behind the sheetrock in my house with it. I took it outside the other night and saw some critter running around in the woods. I dont know if it was a cat or a rabbit though. If I set it to gray scale the detail is awesome. I would add more pictures if I wasnt limited to 250kb!

Attachments

• IR_0163.jpg
    IR_0163.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 36

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The tire is green because it is still cooling down. It is not just outside that is green, that just happens to be the only visible portion higher up. Look where the side sill ends and you can see more of the tire and that the temp appears to be uniform across the tread.

You're right, I missed that before. The idea of shooting before and afters with different hi-flow and no cat set ups in the sill would be awesome. A lot of work, granted, but it would be great to see.

OP
OP
J

justingeer82

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The side sills on my car are the original aluminum ones. They appear rather cool considering the huge heat coming off the mufflers. I considered thermal wrapping my exhaust. After my analysis I realize it would be a waste of time and money. By comparison to the fiberglass sills...its irrelevant with these findings. I always wondered if the fiberglass sills would bubble the paint or what exact difference there would be. Anyways...inquire with me anything you ever wondered about regarding what I can do with this camera!

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting pics. Never thought of using mine like that. My primary use is to shoot electrical distribution panels and switchgear... By far the best way to locate hot connections before they become a problem. Of course, we've all seem them used by the cops to spot perps on the run....... Interesting technology.

V

Venomiss

I bought a FLIR Infracam SD. They retail for $5000 and I bought mine used for $1600. The front tires are green due to them being cooler than the back tires (red) I had a little fun in it before I parked for shooting. I can see the studs behind the sheetrock in my house with it. I took it outside the other night and saw some critter running around in the woods. I dont know if it was a cat or a rabbit though. If I set it to gray scale the detail is awesome. I would add more pictures if I wasnt limited to 250kb!

Join the Viper Club of America for 2012 online. It's quick and easy and will get you more space for photos & free classifieds.
https://www.viperclub.org/join/

Here are a few of the perks to read up on.
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/603453-New-Viper-owner-Time-to-join-the-VCA!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GTSdean did some pics a while back with his. very cool stuff. id love to have one but id use it once and it would be an expensive paper weight then

OP
OP
J

justingeer82

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Venomiss Ive always meant to join but time and money (single father with 2 little girls) and other expenses. Ive been torn between my personal businesses and a more than full time job as an industrial electrician. I probably wont be able to keep my dream car much longer. My primary job is falling apart. Ive put a lot of love in this baby and it breaks my heart at the thought of losing a life long love of mine but hopefully Ill own another some day. Sadly...but fortunately for someone else, my viper will be switching owners :-(

aviatorone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always wanted to buy one of those cameras, use it on my house. Just a little pricey! : )

Very cool pics too. btw

thx

aviatorone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't figure out what the 3rd picture is?

Last week i bought a FLIR (forward looking infra red) camera for my business. I finally got around to snapping some pics of the viper with it. Enjoy! Ive learnt so much about thermodynamics with this camera its unreal.

OP
OP
J

justingeer82

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the 3rd picture is of the side pipe blowing exhaust against the concrete in my garage causing a hotspot on the surface

V

Venomiss

Venomiss Ive always meant to join but time and money (single father with 2 little girls) and other expenses. Ive been torn between my personal businesses and a more than full time job as an industrial electrician. I probably wont be able to keep my dream car much longer. My primary job is falling apart. Ive put a lot of love in this baby and it breaks my heart at the thought of losing a life long love of mine but hopefully Ill own another some day. Sadly...but fortunately for someone else, my viper will be switching owners :-(

We understand and hope you will consider another Viper and the VCA in the future.
Is your Viper sold already or is still for sale?

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very cool. Can I borrow that to use on my wife??? :rolaugh:

Here is a picture of one my coworkers... Thermal imaging looks so very different. Notice the hot and cool spots in her face, like her nose compared to her cheeks. This girl is attractive, but you wouldn't know it by these pictures.

patty-ir.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery