Need a little help guys. (battery area)

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well today finally my battery died. Instead of taking it to the stealership like I usually do, I decided to do some wrench turning.

When I took off the three smaller screws (going up and down) I started to notice some black rubber something or another dropping to the floor. :omg:

As I took off the bottom four screws that attach the back lower side of the bumper to the battery cover I noticed quite a bit more of this stuff hit the floor.

It looks to be some type of very soft rubber.

You must be registered for see images attach

A) does anyone know what it is. B) if it's needed where can I get it. C) what does it look like when it's a whole piece? or better yet if there's a part number what is it and how many.

Here's some pix.

Thanks!

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wish I had a camera, but I had to take that cover off to get a small feral farm kitty cat that was hiding in our garage, true story... Little buggar ran under the car every time I opened the inside garage door for several days was puzzled where it was hiding, as it ran under the car and disappeared, I popped the clamshell, looking under the car with a flashlight.. I was puzzled... and finally figured out it was hiding behind the battery in the rear fascia. Jacked up the car, took the tire off, removed the wheel liner battery cover and with a pair of leather gloves on I grabbed the wild kitty, it was clawing and biting, tossed it outside, a month or so later a coyote got it. So that's what I had in my battery area..

Sorry, no help on the black crap..

Cheers,
Mike

OP
OP
T

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's got to be something. Sheit doesn't just come off a car with 3k miles. lol

I'm just wondering where it came from.

If I can't figure it out by Weds I'm just going to find some black rubber maybe from a tire inner tube and cut it to size and be done with it.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It does look like battery mat material, but it would have been on the bottom of the battery tray, under the weight of the battery and wouldn't have just fallen out. Did it all just fall out or did you wipe some of it out of the rear fascia area? I'm guessing a piece of something, battery mat maybe, has been loose in your rear fascia and it's been shuffling around back there and disintegrated. I doubt that it's anything that you need, especially for the battery...your tray looks very clean.

Warren S

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree with Jim and Ken, must be some kind of battery mat material. The original Mopar battery was notorious for puking out battery acid. BTW, that's gotta be the cleanest battery tray I've ever seen.

Here's a pic from my archives.

OP
OP
T

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was shocked how clean the tray is.

Yes I'm the original owner. Yes that WAS the original battery. And yes that's how clean everything is down there no acid leaks. There was nothing under the battery. All those pieces came from the facia area where the screw holes are in picture 2. The up and down bolts and the side to side bolts. When I started to remove the bolts this rubber stuff started to rain down when I removed the battery cover, I wiped what was left in the facia pocket and put it on a piece of paper. Yes I know it's strange, someone must know what the heck it is. Could it possibly be tire pieces? I mean I've laid down some rubber in the past but it's paper thin almost feels like really thin almost foam like rubber.

The last time I drove the car was around the block about six months ago and probably the only time I drive that car longer than around the block drives is during invitationals.

The rest of the time it sits in my car collection. I have another ACR that I use quite often and is not as clean as this. After all I only have 3k miles in 10 years it better be clean.

Hey twin I'm sure I got you beat as far as lowest miles. lol

Hey Jim, thanks for the Jegs link I have an order for oil for my Countach with them that I started on Friday. I'm going to add that matt to the order. Figure that wouldnt hurt.

I'm not going back to that cheap Mopar battery. I'm going to use a red top like I have in my other ACR and be done with it.

The only reason my battery lasted as long as it did I had a battery tender on it all these years and always made sure it was plugged in.

Last edited:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I'm the original owner. Yes that WAS the original battery. And yes that's how clean everything is down there no acid leaks. There was nothing under the battery.

Dam ! I thought I was going to be the winner !

I'm not going back to that cheap Mopar battery. I'm going to use a red top like I have in my other ACR and be done with it.

The only reason my battery lasted as long as it did I had a battery tender on it all these years and always made sure it was plugged in..

I have had very good success with red top Optimas; but, others have not. I think that there was probably a period of a production issue. There are virtually no negative reports about the Sears Diehard Platinum which is also an AGM battery like the Optima; but, made by Odyssey. Make sure that whatever tender you use is compatible with an AGM battery. They take a charge a little differently.

OP
OP
T

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've been using the brand name "battery tender" on all my cars never a problem.

I just orded a 10 bank charger so I can clean up the clutter of extension cords everywhere.

ONE charger with TEN 25 foot leads.

You must be registered for see images

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I've been using the brand name "battery tender" on all my cars never a problem.

I just orded a 10 bank charger so I can clean up the clutter of extension cords everywhere.

ONE charger with TEN 25 foot leads.

You must be registered for see images

Wow! Cool. I didn't know you could get one like that.

OP
OP
T

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I checked for mouse droppings all over the place and couldnt find any. My garage is pretty sealed so I highly doubt it could be a mouse. I have an 8 car garage and all the other cars seem normal.

I wonder if there was some soft robber washers that were between the bolts and the rear facia? I'm not going to stress too much at this point. I ordered a battery matt if I have left over after I cut it down to size I'll just make washers of that stuff and put them between the rear facia and battery cover. I thought it was something to worry about, guess not.

Thanks!