Need feed back on Race Deck Floor

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am very impressed by this flooring it could dramatically change the look of my garage. It looks good quality and seems to resist time.
What is your opinion about these tiles ?
Are they really good ?

I am feed up with epoxy. I had to repaint my garage every 2-3 years. It is due again.

I am going with this pattern:

tiles.JPG

phoenix1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Real cooool. Thanks for the info. on th epoxy. I was thinking of going the epoxy route on my ugly concrete garage floor, but concerned about peeling despite how well I'd prep. the floor. Unfortunately I have only a 2 car garage. Idea on how much the race deck flooring costs, and who has the best buy on it? Anyone?

Reaction score
I've had Race Deck tiles for a couple years now, everyone notices the garage floor when they enter my garage. I got the 18" x 18" Race Deck tiles, in yellow & alloy checkerboard to match the yellow Viper and the wife's silver corvette.
They give a discount to VCA members as the owner himself is a member.
I would do it all over again compared to other methods.
I also added the Gladiator wallboards, cabinets, etc. on all three walls, everyone that see's my garage compliments me on it.
I hope this helps. :2tu:

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I use a competitive product. I submitted a request no less than three times through the Racedeck.com site and did not receive a response. I even called.

Mind you this was a few years ago.

I picked up a plastic tile from ebay. It is a bit loud while walked on, but it wipes clean and was easy to install. Total cost was about $1.10 a square foot.

5898112_1210.JPG

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you should probably clarify that you used epoxy "paint" !

NOT two part 100% solid epoxy industrial coating you would not need to redo that even under the toughest use that often. there is a huge difference between the materials. I have not even had to touchup a single spot, or even had a single spot of lifting or bubbling after 7.5 years

Photog1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had Race Deck tiles for a couple years now, everyone notices the garage floor when they enter my garage. I got the 18" x 18" Race Deck tiles, in yellow & alloy checkerboard to match the yellow Viper and the wife's silver corvette.
They give a discount to VCA members as the owner himself is a member.
I would do it all over again compared to other methods.

DITTO ON WHAT HE SAID!!! I have RaceDeck in my 3 1/2 car garage and love it. I get compliments from everyone that sees it and always asks where I got it. It cost me about $2500 18 months ago but it is easy to install. My oldest daughter and I installed all of it in one saturday. Call them you will be glad you did. If I can get this posting photos thing figured out I will post some shots of my garage. I sent some to the Viper mag editor for the magazine but i don't think it will be out for a couple months. :2tu:

silversrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the racedeck floor as well. 24 x 36 garage. It holds up nice, looks awesome. White tiles need to be cleaned a little more regularly but easily clean w/ a bit of windex and a towel. My recommendations: Lay a layer of roofing paper down first before tiling. It will eliminate the clackedy-clack sounds as you walk or drive over the finished product. Also, make sure to order the Tuff-Shield racedeck and not the normal finish. The tuff-shield is a higher gloss finish similar to a polyurethane type clear coat finish as compared to the regular tiles which have a dull finish. Tuff shield style is 10x better IMHO. You will also need the 4" x 12" entrance ramp pieces which give a nice smooth appearance. Installation is a snap...literally. Did my whole garage in about 2 days. Maybe 3 hrs/day.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you should probably clarify that you used epoxy "paint" !

NOT two part 100% solid epoxy industrial coating you would not need to redo that even under the toughest use that often. there is a huge difference between the materials. I have not even had to touchup a single spot, or even had a single spot of lifting or bubbling after 7.5 years

Mike,

I am planning on putting down some HD3000 Gray 2-part Epoxy this spring. They say it will last basically forever. Is this similar, or the same product you used? 900 feet for about $250 bucks. Sounds like a deal to me?

Steve

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sounds like too good of a deal to me! does this include floor prep(and how)? should be 100% 2-part solid epoxy. is this being done by and industrial coatings person? if you want to see my floor just give me a call, also make sure they use some from of traction additive(preferably glass beads not metal oxide)

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is coming from an industrial supply place. It's the same stuff they have on the their floor---lots of abuse---fork lift traffic/parts etc. They have installed this coating in several garages and body shops around here........none have had to be repaired or replaced. It wears like iron they tell me. I Have done a fair amount of business with them through the company I used to work for---just retired--and am getting a pretty good break on the price. In fact, the manager of the company may help me put it on as well as let me use their scrubber to prep the floor.

Maybe you could shoot me PM with your number. I wouldn't mind covering the bases a little better with some more info.

Thanks--Steve

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Racedeck is the Industry Leader and original for this type of flooring. The owner is a Viper owner ( besides having the other MoPar products that have established Land Speed Records) and he offers a discount to Viper and VCA members. If you have any trouble getting in touch with them give me a call and I will help direct you there, but do make sure you mention that you heard about the discount from the VCA. Jorgen stands behind his stuff and I don't know anyone that is not satisfied with his tile products. As soon as I get my garage done ( counters, cabinets ,etc ) , I plan on doing the floor all in Racedeck tiles.

Sincerely,
Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse
1-800-889-1893

pattymelt3605

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Commercial VCT is another option... I thought about RaceDeck but for a garage it was to costly. Here is my garage, the cost was about .60 per sq. ft.

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
S

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just ordered 601 tiles ...
I will give an update with before and after pictures of my garage.

kmg99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For those of you considering painting your floor it is critical that you either shotblast or diamond grind the surface prior to painting. This will remove residual stresses, contaminents and prepare the floor for proper paint adhestion. Second, it is best to fill all cracks, etc. with a high fill-no shrink epoxy/fiber compound. Third, if you want a finish that lasts, it must be a high solid paint followed by a urethane top coat. Two-part epoxy paints will not hold up to chemicals, hot tires, etc. nearly as well as a urethane. Figure on $3 bucks a square foot just for materials.

Also, if you are in an area with a high water table, or have poor drainage under your slab, or if a vapor barrier was not placed under the concrete I would not recommend the paint route.

After six garages I've learned all these lessons.

Back-In-Black

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well said Kmg99,

More to the point, you can't take the paint with you if you move, but you can take the Racedek (and other brand) unadhered tiles. Since they cost around $3 psf for the materials, the only only other expense is your sweat equity, which can be reinvested in another home minus the material cost.

I am ready to order my 900 sf of Racedeck as soon as I finish construction.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
100% solid two part epoxy is not a paint, there is a chemical reaction when the two parts are mixed(like glass fiber and resin). The product must be put down or it will be catalyzed. Unsoiled new concrete floors may just need a minor sanding to help the product bond to the floor, while older soiled floors may need chemical or shot blasing prep. Also my floor has a vapor barrier(as does most newer construction. The control joints and minor cracks were filled with a mixtureof the 100% solid two part epoxy and fly ash. Over seven years not even a crack or bubbling off the floor at all.

Much different than "epoxy paint" that comes out of a can ready to go. Paint drys(either latex or oil based are the two most common types used today). Not even a comparison to the industrial coatings mentioned above

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Figure on $3 bucks a square foot just for materials.

Here's the stuff I'm going to use. Material costs will be substantially less than $3/ft with me doing the work. The material itself including the acid etch stuff will total about $.33/ft. I am getting a break from the supplier. I went over and looked at their industrial shop floor a couple days ago and it has held up extremely well considering forklifts, drums of material, and a large rental agency all run on it. They have not touched it in the 5 years since it was put on.

HD3000

Concrete Cleaner

Steve

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang