New 2008 inforomation...0 to 60 in 3.7!!! link!!

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Edmunds has always loved to hate the Viper and nitpick it's faults, but surprisingly they give the new model a decent review. :D

Even though the performance times look lower than you would guess from the '08's power and drivetrain improvements, this is actually quite good for Edmunds, handliy beating their Z06 (as expected) times.:2tu:

Typically, they got a few facts wrong, like the engine being truck-based (incorrect) and the tires being R-Compound (incorrect) and the taller drivers not being able to slide the seat back far enough (the peddles are power adjustable).
But for these guys, it's a relatively good review.

I can't wait to see Motor Trend shave 3 tenths off of their 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. :drive:

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for catching this! I assume that the testing embargo is now officially over?

/Rich

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great find! Thanks for posting! I can't wait to see what other magazines (that don't have grandpas driving) get for 1/4 mile times.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was very good to see...I can hardly wait to hear what the rest of the automotive press thinks....especially those who really know how to drive!

Regards,
Aaron

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh my god the sound...I love the sound.....Cant wait for a "real" test......:drive:

viper04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was very good to see...I can hardly wait to hear what the rest of the automotive press thinks....especially those who really know how to drive!

Regards,
Aaron

+1, can't wait to see what the other mags have to say.:drive:

Pythonpete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They have in the body of the article, 0-60 in 3.7 seconds...1.2 seconds faster thant the 06.

Who was driving my grandmother? :crazy2:

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love these lines from editor Michael Jordan on the "second opinion":

The Viper totally terrorizes you, and it's no wonder women weep, kids shout and dogs bark.

The 2008 Dodge Viper makes you fear for your life every second. It's terrific.

Of course Juli, Venomiss, Jani, and other women here may disagree with part of that... :D

OP
OP
R

RMBSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you catch this photo caption...

"First is the only gear needed to get to 60 mph in 3.7 seconds — much faster than last year's Corvette Z06."

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think what is most significant is that Edmunds said it was 0.8 seconds quicker than last yrs Viper in the 1/4 mile. I usually see GEn 3 times quoted at 12.0, and guys in here getting 11.9 and 11.8 consistently when stock.

So...

I would expect to see real car mags get 11.2 to 11.3 and guys in here getting 11 FLAT!
NOW THATS WHAT THE F*CK I AM TALKING ABOUT!!! GO VIPER AND WAY TO GO CHRYSLER!!
THE BAD-ASS REP IS BACK!!!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
*****! I have to get one now even if my wife kills me! :D Congrats Chrysler!!!!

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice review... Edmunds even liked the suspension changes - firmer spring rates and adjusted shock dampening..

Also very nice close u pic of the new razor wheels which have more angles to em than i previously thought.. the ghost pic of the engine under the hood is cool 2

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love these lines from editor Michael Jordan on the "second opinion":

The Viper totally terrorizes you, and it's no wonder women weep, kids shout and dogs bark.

The 2008 Dodge Viper makes you fear for your life every second. It's terrific.

Of course Juli, Venomiss, Jani, and other women here may disagree with part of that... :D

Nah, the Viper women mentioned will still weep...but it will be weeping of joy :D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although Edmund's is so rediculously bad in their tests and reviews, it was nice video.

Great exhaust sound, love that hood, not a fan of the wheels.

I say 11.2@129mph is what we see guys who can actually drive a car do with this beast.

Imagine a gear swap in this thing, pure ecstacy ... and lots of PS2's.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Perfect summary at the end of the video:

"You a 200mph car with 17% better fuel milage for a thousand bucks less ... and you can spend that savings on speeding tickets"

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My favorite line... and the one sentence SRT needs to generate about any future Viper: "My God, do they even make cars like that anymore?" :D

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys might want to check out Winding Road magazine, which allows free registration to see their article/review of the 2008 Viper online.

http://www.windingroad.com/

They hadn't done any measurement testing, but the magazine layout looks very slick online and it's a good article on the Viper (and other hot cars too). They were quite please with the new Viper when testing it a VIR along with the other auto journalists. :D

They didn't even go back to eat with the other writers when the break came. Instead they stayed out on the track for more laps in the new Viper.

Interestingly, the coupe supposedly hit a top speed of 202MPH at Ohio's at Ohio's 7.5 mile Transportation research Center track, and the convertible hit 197MPH (with the top down!).

It looks like Dodge's official performance specs for the 2008 Viper are 0-60 in 3.6 and the 1/4 mile in 11.6@123MPH, and of course the 0-100-0 time of less than 12 seconds.

Last edited:

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those corvette guys are still a bunch of yuppies with goldfish cars.

However I hate the stripes on those coupes, I like the CC stripes WAY better.

--RS

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Pretty good article considering the source.....

Obsidian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love all the press that the Green Machine is getting. Green with White Stripes is incredible looking. The black stripes in the review ain't too shabby either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte