** NEW 800 RWHP GEN 3 TURBO SYSTEM ** in Progress**

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As long as LME puts the right ring packs in your engine you'll be fine. Ask me how I know :) Although not rocket science experience does matter, I'll keep any further opinions to myself but there is definitely a lot of misinformation from this whole thread (not directed at you Tony). Lots of good information too, feel sorry for anyone who does not know what to ask and what to expect

Hey Tim,

Thanks for the input, your opinions and suggestions and criticisms are always welcome and respected.

We have to try to keep this thread in the right direction, the initial kits and system are being developed for Gen 3 cars at this point. The basic hardware will easily port over to Gen 4 but the tuning and engine build issues required for a Gen 4 car will be dealt with in a systematic fashion and we will not be putting the cart before the horse. If teh Gen 4 was easy to do there would definitely be a plethora of Gen 4 TT cars running around and there is not, but at the same time there is a wealth or experience and resources that we have at our finger tips that will allow us to bring TT Gen 4 to the consumers that want to have a TT Gen 4, it will just require customers such as Moundir that have been through this sort of thing before and understand that they are on the cutting edge vs the trailing edge.

I know I was one of the first 50 people with Roe blower when they first came out and there was a learning curve, heck there is still a learning curve even today that people go through with Paxton installs and head/cam installs, engine builds for Gen 2, 3 and 4.

The Gen 3 kits will be our first priority and will be a turn key solution that is scalable with additional options for fuel, tuning and motor builds for those requiring or desiring higher power levels.

Paolo has an abundance of experience with Gen 2 TT builds so as the Gen 3 kits are completed we will begin work on the Gen 1 and 2 platforms.

The Gen 4 TT solution, will require extra tuning and hardware and will be handled based on special customer requests, which is how this started on the Gen 4 road to begin with, a customer requested it, and we immediately worked on finding the latest info from the best of the best in the industry, and we went to the people that have the most experience at the tasks at hand. This is why we went to the John Reeds of the world vs others for Tuning the Gen 4, because of the actual real world experience and solutions used on cars that are on the road doing it, so to speak versus going to persons that are dealing more on experimental or theoretical levels. We feel our customers deserve real world solutions vs pipe dreams.

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pos rep to Dan....oops wrong board.

I'll hit you up with some on the other.

Now back to the mud slinging. I like this......

Viper23

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok. Back to the question of the day, all this rocket science stuff is for the gen 4 tt right? If so, then all the stuff that I just read doesn't pertain to me if I'm interested in a gen 3 kit? The reason I'm asking is because I am contemplating buying heads, headers, etc to go with an n/a build for my gen 3. With some tuning I was hoping about 600rwhp for about the same price as the TT package that will make 800hp; therefore, i don't know if I should wait or not. Btw, I can fly one of you to Hawaii to install it. Lol

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok. Back to the question of the day, all this rocket science stuff is for the gen 4 tt right? If so, then all the stuff that I just read doesn't pertain to me if I'm interested in a gen 3 kit? The reason I'm asking is because I am contemplating buying heads, headers, etc to go with an n/a build for my gen 3. With some tuning I was hoping about 600rwhp for about the same price as the TT package that will make 800hp; therefore, i don't know if I should wait or not. Btw, I can fly one of you to Hawaii to install it. Lol

Correct,

Gen 3 is in progress, no debate, no issues, we can arrange install for you!

HOWFAST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just adding to Paolo's defense.... My T-71 TT Kit is going great. Other than a few minor things this TT build went smoothly. Anytime I had a question about the install or was having some trouble he was just a phone call away to assist. Have 500 miles on the new engine and TT set-up. Can't wait to open it up.

Gus//

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just adding to Paolo's defense.... My T-71 TT Kit is going great. Other than a few minor things this TT build went smoothly. Anytime I had a question about the install or was having some trouble he was just a phone call away to assist. Have 500 miles on the new engine and TT set-up. Can't wait to open it up.

Gus//

Great to hear Gus,

Have you dyno'd your car?

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome...good to see you guys working together to give viper owners more options.

Good luck to Steve and Paolo, you guys have some good resources in mind already.

Bad Asp 06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So for a Gen 3, what is the end cost for the complete kit + the install + all extra needed hardware and tune? Going with the "make it functional" mind set verses the "no compromise".

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok - off topic but I lol'd when I read about someone wanting 2000rwhp in a street Viper. Sorry, but that power level is about as useful in a true streetcar as selling c o c k flavored lollipops.

Ok lol over.

Back on topic - 800rwhp is about perfect for a great streetcar in my opinion, with only a ********* few able to use more.

Last edited:

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So for a Gen 3, what is the end cost for the complete kit + the install + all extra needed hardware and tune? Going with the "make it functional" mind set verses the "no compromise".

Bad Asp 06, most of the recent conversations Steve and myself have engaged lately seem to be trying to answer your very question.

The answer is not a simple one either..... Our main objective at this point is to build a system that delivers the power, is easy to install; then to put it on a few of the first customer cars at the pricing point we promised.

I guess the real answer all comes down to volume and materials....

The Viper guys have always been a little more savvy in regards to requiring the finest materials as compared to most other performance enthusiasts which, combined with the relatively lower production numbers, translates into a higher per unit cost = VIPER TAX.

Let's talk about materials for a moment..... There are many, many happy STS customers out there, so what I am about to say is not negative so to speak, I am simply illustrating a point.

If one were to compare the materials used in STS's rear mount turbo kits for all the cars they do, we can see that it looks to be ceramic coated mild steel(I'm assuming this because I have not yet asked but I am calling them today to confirm for sure). On the exhaust side, there are slip fit connections and certain ways things are fabricated that a more custom one off system made by someone who knows the proper way it needs to be done would not do it that way. But the great thing about turbos is that just about no matter how it is done, as long as it's "good enough" it works fine for the average automotive enthusiast. End of story.

So, at the end of the day, it is about being able to make something of the quality level the Viper and/or the Viper owner deserves and being able to make a profit in doing so. Without making a profit, any endeavor results in a short run of X number of systems and the builder/fabricator/installer/creator ultimately losing money in the end. I have personal experience in this area to be sure.

So with that aside, what is the market for this Gen 3 turbo system? Well obviously, it would be the same group of people who would be buying or has already purchased the Paxton Supercharger system and also the guys who wish the Roe Blower could fit under the hood.....

Due to the constraints of the Gen 3 Viper the Roe is not an option. I do not know how many Paxton Superchargers in total have been installed on gen 3 Vipers, does anybody know the answer? I would venture to guess the number is A LOT as in maybe 200-300....

Bad Asp 06, back to your question of "Make it Functional" vs "No Compromise" mind set... I believe that what Steve and myself need to come up with a version of what we initially described to start this thread that would be equal or better in performance to the Paxton in terms of acceleration, price and ease of installation.

Let's say, for instance, that we made a base system that would be close to the cost of the Paxton, is as easy or easier to install and on, say, a 20 or 30 MPH roll up to 100 MPH is faster. Let's say that this setup would also be faster than a 600 RWHP NA Viper as well on the same roll....

So would you agree that, aside from looking at dyno graphs and calculating the area under the curve, this would really be the only thing that a Viper owner would care about at the end of the day?

Are there any other thoughts on this topic?

If we could deliver such a product, would everybody here and everywhere else who owns a Viper that either owns a Paxton or would be seriously considering the purchase of a Paxton for their Viper buy our system assuming of course that we have good customer service and can stand behind out product?

If the answer is yes, then the next step is to determine a realistic projected volume and then have everybody step up and put down deposits so we can order 100 turbos, 50 sets of piping, 50 intercoolers, 1000 t-bolt clamps, etc.....

In the past few days Steve and myself, have come up with some very exciting options that can bring the realization of this project to fruition.

So I would like to ask everybody some questions that would help us determine the way we should go in terms of materials and various attributes of the system that would be upgradeable just like the Roe blowers back in the day that were a relatively lower price to get into for 550 RWHP and then you could upgrade X,Y,Z and end up with 650-700 RWHP.

I always loved the idea of upgradeability and I am sure everybody on here does as well!

I think everybody here would agree that aside from good customer service, their product performing reasonably well in a relaible fashion, the entry level cost of the Paxton Supercharger is the driving force to the volume they have been able to achieve....

If we could sell as many of our setups per year as the Paxton has thus far, it would definitely be a slam dunk from the business standpoint assuming we could ascertain the level of materials and system attributes that we could provide at a competitive price.....

Ok, so here we go: I am going to ask everybody here to sit on their Freudian couch and I am going to list some different materials and attributes of turbo system design and I want everybody to say the first thing that comes into your mind:

Mild Steel vs Stainless Steel Piping

Forged, Thick wall(.120") vs Madrerell Bent (.065")

V-Band vs Slip Fit

Single vs Twin Turbo

Intercooled vs Non-Intercooled (Maybe some of the Roe blower guys who have also driven their intercooled Paxton cars can chime in about their experiences here.)

If we can get some of these things ironed out, some of these results, combined with the Oil-Less turbocharger technology and my diverter pipe that will spool the turbos like lightning, we have the potential to make something that has never before been offered to the general consumer in terms of low end torque and upper RPM power with the same turbocharger... The Diverter pipe setup with a relatively larger back housing will also equate to lower back pressure that is safer for the stock Gen 3 motors to boot!

So what does everybody think?

Opinions?

Suggestions?

Here is your chance, let us know....

Last edited:

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suggest someone crack the fing gen 4 computer so that us gen 4 owners can get in on this as well!:censored:
Its really great to have you and GTSR working on this endeavor with a budget in mind! I'm amazed how some tuners want 65k-109k for a twin turbo build:rolaugh: Talk about viper tax!!!:rolleyes:

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suggest someone crack the fing gen 4 computer so that us gen 4 owners can get in on this as well!:censored:
Its really great to have you and GTSR working on this endeavor with a budget in mind! I'm amazed how some tuners want 65k-109k for a twin turbo build:rolaugh: Talk about viper tax!!!:rolleyes:

Mike, John Reed has already cracked the Gen 4 Computer with the Pectel and MoTeC !!!!! LOL!

Seb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stainless Steel Piping

Mandrel Bent (.065")

V-Band /

Twin Turbo

Intercooled

If they want a cheap kit order it from china. Your the one that will be responsible for the product liability so really its your decision on what materials you will use. Id think that if it was a difference of 1000 for stainless steel instead of mild steel it wouldnt be that big of an issue.
Labor will be the same either way.

Bad Asp 06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is what I want.

VIPAIR PERFORMANCE introduces

NEW 800 RWHP GEN 3 TURBO SYSTEM - in Progress

Low to No parasitic loss – a Twin Turbo system is the only way to go, parasitic losses on Super chargers are on average 1/3 the power they create, so for a blower to give you 200 RWHP it actually makes 300 HP, but takes 100 HP to drive the blower, why give away that 100 Horsepower ! ? A 700 horsepower Paxton car is actually a *** Hp Twin Turbo car 700-440 =260 /2 x 3 = 390 +440 = 830 Twin Turbo capable

Adequate cooling, no heat soak – a 1000 HP capable air to water Intercooler 3 times the size of a Paxton unit eliminating the heat soak issues
700-800 REAR WHEEL HORSEPOWER – see Dyno graph – this graph is the last run after tuning for 4 hours straight on a MUSTANG DYNO!

Instant torque – like a roots/twin screw blower with 700-800 RWTQ by 2000 RPM – patented device that spools the turbos sooner and faster than any other system

DIY Bolt on – can be installed in 12-16 hours – a weekend – Solved!

Non invasive – install requires no major surgery – Solved!

Drive ability – Tune supplied – no problems – see dyno graph – tune test bed turbo car has 15,000 miles on it in the Florida heat with a tune that is running on and proven safe for the cast stock pistons and rods in a Gen 3.

Upgradeable – a scaleable system that allows ones investment to be added to instead of discarded when a more robust higher HP solution is wanted – This system in its base form is an 800 RWHP solution , simple add ons can easily drive a motor to 1200 – 1400 RWHP with fuel system and engine build to support the system.

THIS SYSTEM IS BEING MADE RIGHT NOW!

IT WILL BE AVAILABLE TO THE FIRST SELECT FEW AT AN INTRODUCTORY PRICE FOR GEN 3 OWNERS of just under $10,000.00

IT WILL BE A COMPLETE SOLUTION.

OP
OP
G

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What were the specs/mods on the SRT in that graph? What kind of boost was it pulling to achieve such high torque at just 2000rpm? Was it on pump?

Hi Barry,

Our systems use a patent pending device that helps build boost early, that dyno run is also done on a mustang dyno with the load set properly to simulate actually driving a 3400 lbs car, the run was done with 91 octane at an 11 to 1 Air fuel ratio. If you want some real detailed specifics on our hardware, feel free to Pm or email me.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What were the specs/mods on the SRT in that graph? What kind of boost was it pulling to achieve such high torque at just 2000rpm? Was it on pump?

Barry, Michael Brito's SRT was bone stock on 8 PSI and pump gas on a Mustang dyno programmed to load properly to simulate an acceleration sweep that takes the same time as it does on the street like Steve said. There are not many dynos that have the software to do such a thing. That same car would do the sweep much faster on a Dynojet yielding a much higher number. A supercharged Viper that made 900 RWHP on a Dynojet in Sarasota, Fl, only made 700 RWHP on Brito's Mustang dyno.

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't be willing to compromise quality on any of those options, honestly. You can debate the merits of a single turbo versus twin turbo, but I'd say the rest are a no brainer. Personally I'd prefer twins.

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
man there are some faaaaaast 10.5 outlaw cars running single turbos. a good system with a single will still make more power than you can use.

this is going to be pretty cool , congrats steve. now i am thinking of putting one on my Gen4! you bastage! :)

Viperguynick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is something that has been a serious consideration for me for a power upgrade in the next year or so, as I am still enjoying the car in stock form right now...

As far as the options.

Mild Steel vs Stainless Steel Piping - STAINLESS

Forged, Thick wall(.120") vs Madrerell Bent (.065") - Mandrel

V-Band vs Slip Fit - V-Band

Single vs Twin Turbo - Either... For me, Twins... Help keep the lower end, more consistant power across the RPM band. But I think the option should be there for guys who want a car with a different personality.

Intercooled vs Non-Intercooled - I say offer the intercooler as an add-on. I have not done a ton of research in this area, but how big are the benefits of intercooling at the boost levels we are talking here? This is for an entry-level type kit correct? I have a feeling most Viper owners would add it anyway (I would), but I am curious about the benefits.

:usa: Nick :usa:

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see the point in a lag inducing front intercooler blocking the engine radiator for a rear mount turbo. Properly plumbed, the intake will cool substantially on its trip from back to front (you could even run fins along the tubing) then adding water injection would be more than enough intercooling for street boost pressures. For short runs on big boost you could even double skin the intake tubing and add ice water, drain it when hot then do it again as required... No need for an IC in most cases with a rear mount IMHO. My 2 cents.

Seb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you really want to keep cost down just do a single in the rear with no intercooler.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't be willing to compromise quality on any of those options, honestly. You can debate the merits of a single turbo versus twin turbo, but I'd say the rest are a no brainer. Personally I'd prefer twins.

SlayerLS1, Thank you for your input! I think most people think the way you do!

man there are some faaaaaast 10.5 outlaw cars running single turbos. a good system with a single will still make more power than you can use.

this is going to be pretty cool , congrats steve. now i am thinking of putting one on my Gen4! you bastage! :)

X-Metal, I could not agree with you more about the outlaw cars making some serious, sick power with a single turbo... Probably most of those cars would not be that fun to drive on the street as they would be laggy without the shot of nitrous on the trans brake and a loose enough of a converter to keep the rpm at 5000+ RPM for the launch.

We already know how a single turbo that is sized a little too small reacts on a Viper motor and it looks kind of like the power curve of a Roe blower except it can make more power because it can flow more air on the compressor side. That graph looks like this:

You must be registered for see images

The thing that is strange to me is how the boost does not hit hard in the lower RPM range. I think they might have pulled the timing back on the bottom end or there was too much back pressure killing the spool. Either way, it is not all that bad and would definitely eat a Paxton car alive with similar peak power numbers because of the area under the curve.

Steve and myself will be testing a couple of single turbos on his car:

Option number one will be a T-04 single turbo that has a much bigger exhaust wheel and turbine housing than the one in the single turbo dyno graph above which should spool faster and hold the torque at least a few hundred RPM longer up in the RPM band...

Option number two will be a Monster T-06 88mm turbo(1500+ HP) with the biggest exhaust housing available combined with my diverter pipe just for kicks. I think it will spool pretty well, but I guess we'll see!

I know that most guys like myself prefer twins on a V-Motor, but with the combination of the diverter pipe with all the different T-04 to T-06 combinations, I am sure we can come up with a great combination that spools fast and makes a nice torque curve that pulls all the way to the top!

My friend Turan also had a (small) single on the back of his car that hit like a ton of bricks and fell off hard by around 4500 RPM from what I remember, maybe he can chime in here and post his dyno graph from his setup....

Here is a dyno from the first front mount twin turbo setup I did for a friend of mine:

You must be registered for see images

As you can see, it is no slouch on the bottom end and the torque stays up much better on the top end....

This is something that has been a serious consideration for me for a power upgrade in the next year or so, as I am still enjoying the car in stock form right now...

As far as the options.

Mild Steel vs Stainless Steel Piping - STAINLESS

Forged, Thick wall(.120") vs Madrerell Bent (.065") - Mandrel

V-Band vs Slip Fit - V-Band

Single vs Twin Turbo - Either... For me, Twins... Help keep the lower end, more consistant power across the RPM band. But I think the option should be there for guys who want a car with a different personality.

Intercooled vs Non-Intercooled - I say offer the intercooler as an add-on. I have not done a ton of research in this area, but how big are the benefits of intercooling at the boost levels we are talking here? This is for an entry-level type kit correct? I have a feeling most Viper owners would add it anyway (I would), but I am curious about the benefits.

:usa: Nick :usa:

Nick, thanks for your input!

I think that there is definitely a group of guys I have talked to on PM's and on the phone that really like the idea of a (big) single turbo.... From the packaging standpoint, the single was a nightmare to fit with 5"-6" inlet piping and 4"-5" exhaust outlets in the engine compartment or in the footwells...

In the back of the car, this is no longer a problem.

In terms of getting a proper fitment of exhaust wheels, and turbine housings to achieve a desirable spooling range and maintenance of the torque curve as the RPM increases(minimizing back pressure), with the diverter pipes, we now have much more resolution in terms of achieving both ends of the spectrum on the same turbo on the same car ie having your cake and eating it too ;)

As far as the intercooled vs. non intercooled debate is concerned, I had asked some of the guys who had Roe Blowers (that were obviously non intercooled) who also had Paxton intercooled cars to chime in and relay their experiences regarding heat soak comparisons between the two rides. Nobody has commented so far...

That would be some good discussion if we could get a dialogue going with some people here who have experienced both....

Steve and myself need to make the system and test different options and come back with what is feasible and how the different aspects will work together...

I don't see the point in a lag inducing front intercooler blocking the engine radiator for a rear mount turbo. Properly plumbed, the intake will cool substantially on its trip from back to front (you could even run fins along the tubing) then adding water injection would be more than enough intercooling for street boost pressures. For short runs on big boost you could even double skin the intake tubing and add ice water, drain it when hot then do it again as required... No need for an IC in most cases with a rear mount IMHO. My 2 cents.

Barry, I will definitely not even entertain the idea of putting a front mount intercooler on the SRT 10 because from a DIY standpoint, it will be a nightmare in most Viiper owners' minds to take off the bumper and cut on the car to get the piping to go in and out of there. I have already done complicated stuff that is not worth it especially from what people want to pay for labor or how much time people want to spend installing something like that on their car while having to cut holes..

You could definitely run fins but the air is going very quickly through the piping ie not a lot of time for heat transfer relative to the slower rate at which it propagates through the relative restriction of the intercooler core. I would not think it will cool substantially from back to front but the Roe Blower did not have an intercooler either and people loved it!

I think Pre turbo water **** will yield a better distribution than pre throttle body water **** that does not really allow any degree of control in regards to equal distribution between all the cylinders especially with the gen 3 intake.... Besides, something like that, is easy to make a mistake that will eventually lead to liability for guess who?

you really want to keep cost down just do a single in the rear with no intercooler.

Seb, we just need to make the system how we want to and then let the chips fall where they may based on our testing!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62