New Mobil1: Which viscosity is factory fill in '02 Vipers?

MiamiJeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New Mobil1: Which viscosity is factory fill in \'02 Vipers?

Noticed that Mobil-1 has been promoting how it is now "reformulated with SuperSyn" and that Mobil-1 10W-30 is now promoted by Mobil for "Higher Mileage Cars."

Any idea which viscosity is factory fill on 2002 Vipers?

FYI, Mobil-1 factory fill trivia:

Mobil-1 15W-50 "Performance Driving Formula" is f.f. in Ford Mustang Cobra R.

Mobil-1 5W-30 "Newer Vehicle Formula" is standard for Corvette (not sure if all models).

Mobil-1 0W-40 "European Car Formula" is f.f. in all Porsche, Aston Martin, & Mercedes-Benz AMG models

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: New Mobil1: Which viscosity is factory fill in \'02 Vipers?

Not 100%, however I thought it was 10-30.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

GOOD question. From what I can find out SO FAR...looks like 10w-30 is the "factory fill". A friend purchased a 2002 RT/10 one month ago, and we changed the oil at 200 miles...and I sent a sample to the oil analysis lab that I have been using for several Vipers and one friend's Poroshe 996 Twin Turbo. The sample was in the 10w-30 range...BUT was STILL the Mobil 1 Trisynthetic formula, NOT the new SuperSyn. This is easily identified by the different additives. I should also say that I have sent samples of the Molil 1 10w-30 Trisynthetic and SuperSyn straight out of new bottles for comparison. Have also sent 0w-40 "European car formula" for same analysis...and so far, the Euro stuff has all been Trisynthetic...still looking for ow-40 SuperSyn at MB and Porsche dealers with NO luck. Stay tuned...there's more to this.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

I just had mine changed at 200, and the 10W-30 IS the factory fill. The new Mobil-1 TriSynthetic 10W-30 is STILL full synthetic, so there should be no problems. Although, i did wonder about why the oil said ?for higher mileage engines? on it...it doesnt make any sense! I cant find any "regular" version of it ANYWHERE, even on the website. A buddy of mine has 3 cases of 10W-30 Mobil-1 that doesnt say it, but I didnt see if it was the new "supersyn" or not.

Maybe the "for higher mileage engines" thing is just for morons that dont know not to use 0W oil in an old engine...?

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score

watch out for the new 10-30 syn BLEND
smile.gif

James

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

The "new" Mobil 1 IS NOT Trisynthetic 9they no longer make it per their consumer hot line)...the "new" Mobil 1 is clearly labled "SuperSyn"...and according to the chemist on the Mobil Tech Line, the "new" stuff is the same base stock as was the case with Trisynthetic...just a different additive package...WHICH, by the way, makes the new stuff look DARKER (almost "used") fresh out of the bottle (as opposed to Trisynthetic's amber-brown color).

FUSCUCLA1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This begs the question....Are they compatible?

I have some trisyn, maybe 5 quarts left, so I will need to top off with supersyn if I cant find trisyn. Is this acceptable???

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Advanced Formula, (prior to Tri-Synthetic), Tri-Synthetic and SuperSyn are all compatible per Mobil.

My last change (on the Minivan, not the Viper) had all three.....</FONT f>

OP
OP
M

MiamiJeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks all.

I knew it was 10W-30 in past model years but that label on the brand new formulation "for higher mileage cars"
confused.gif
was freakin' me out!

Still wondering if SuperSyn is really an improvement or not? Hope it's not a cheaper formulation
shake.gif
with a new marketing approach.

Anyone from CAAP who wants to chime in here feel free!

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Pardon the type o's Wish this reply post offed spell check..............
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It does, look upin the right hand side of the page where you'll see an ABC button, that would be it.

Mike