New Sub idea for RT/10... Comments?

KHitman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In the relentless persuit of some type of bass in an RT/10, I had Car Toys suggest something I hadn't thought of. They want to put a shallow mounted 10" or 12" sub in the trunk facing forward in the front curve where the spare tire goes. Then port a hole through to the middle speaker spot in the cab. This saves as much trunk space as possible for those long road trips.

Everyone else just talks about adding more power to try and get a bass sound from the trunk to the cab, but that was the first time someone talked about porting directly into the cab from the trunk.

Anyone heard of this before? Tried this before? Could give an educated guess on whether it would work good?

I can't do the footwell sub as the wife will stick her foot through it first time in the car, and I can't bring myself to hack up the center speaker area enough to fit an 8" sub in there.

Rolstar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a Chevy SSR convertible pickup that had the subs ported behind the front seats. same type of setup. This came from the factory that way, and sounded awesome. I would have to think the distance from the speaker to the opening may have something to do with the effectiveness though. Good luck.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
4126speaker_9.jpg
My speaker faces up. When under boost it gives her a place to push her feet against.
4126DSC00778.JPG

4126DSC00779.JPG

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
4126speaker_9.jpg
My speaker faces up. When under boost it gives her a place to push her feet against.
4126DSC00778.JPG

4126DSC00779.JPG

I know were your car is....It's getting a Paxton from our good friends at DLM :headbang:

I was at the shop last week....your going to love it. :D

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a Sub you can install.

Pioneer TS-SW841D sub woofer

you will have to build a box for it . build the box just like the factory box. and center it between the original speaker grills. that way there is no damage to the car or original equipment. and can be put back original :headbang:

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I know were your car is....It's getting a Paxton from our good friends at DLM :headbang:

I was at the shop last week....your going to love it. :D"

You've seen her????

Man do I miss my car.:(

I already had a paxton on her, until I broke the snout off the crank:( :(

Total rebuild with a billett crank this time:drive: :drive:

Have you heard her run?????

SmoknTires

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my GenI we did something like that. I wasn’t as concerned about having all my trunk space, so we added a lot of gadgets and made the speaker enclosure larger (2 cb ft). You could build it much smaller with a smaller air space. We went with one JL Audio WS6 Sub (Oh Lord, the best sub on the market).

I removed the spare tire. We built a bandpass enclosure with the sub firing downward into the well of the trunk (dynamatted it nicely). Then we PORTED the trunk, 2 - 4 inch ports, through the bottom of the trunk, under the car and up behind the seats. This puts all the sound in the cabin and doesn’t sacrifice the center rear speaker. The sound is perfection!!

You must be registered for see images

nazar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I received an email to post here. I hope I don't brake any rules.

If you are looking for a "stealth" install, yet You want your system to sound good in your Viper. This solution is the only way to effectively get bass in the cabin and still hear and feel it while on the highway cruising. We have tested many different options for these cars and researched different boxes in the car. BEST WAY to get bass in this car is having the sub fire against the rear in the cabin. I am posting pictures and if anyone have any questions please do not hesitate to call. 603-642-4222. I will be happy to start a Groub buy if that is permitted.

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you dont have to hack up the center rear for a sub. the sizes are almost the same.i think 1 inch diff. or a half.i put one in my 2000rt.VERY MINIMAL cutting.fit perfect.cannot even tell it was not oem.

toykami

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my GenI we did something like that. I wasn’t as concerned about having all my trunk space, so we added a lot of gadgets and made the speaker enclosure larger (2 cb ft). You could build it much smaller with a smaller air space. We went with one JL Audio WS6 Sub (Oh Lord, the best sub on the market).

I removed the spare tire. We built a bandpass enclosure with the sub firing downward into the well of the trunk (dynamatted it nicely). Then we PORTED the trunk, 2 - 4 inch ports, through the bottom of the trunk, under the car and up behind the seats. This puts all the sound in the cabin and doesn’t sacrifice the center rear speaker. The sound is perfection!!

Do you happen to have any pics on how the pipes look from underneath the trunk to the cabin?

Mad Max 93 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys and gals I'm starting the build of my 93 RT/10 system this week. Its going to have two 8" woofers where the factory 6"s are and also something else that you really have to feel to believe! Everyone will be asking where all the bass is coming from. I am going to make a completely new fiberglass panel to accomodate to two 8" woofers which is going to have stock look. I may find enough room to do a single 10" but I will know more in the coming week. But whatever I do I will be able to make duplicates. Stay tuned. JD

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I for one would be interested if you can make duplicates... Please keep us posted.

:usa:

Guys and gals I'm starting the build of my 93 RT/10 system this week. Its going to have two 8" woofers where the factory 6"s are and also something else that you really have to feel to believe! Everyone will be asking where all the bass is coming from. I am going to make a completely new fiberglass panel to accomodate to two 8" woofers which is going to have stock look. I may find enough room to do a single 10" but I will know more in the coming week. But whatever I do I will be able to make duplicates. Stay tuned. JD

rsmitchell10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just completed an install in the trunk of my Gen II with one sub ported into the space between the seats at shoulder height. I'll have to post pics tomorrow to show you the treatment...looks awesome and sounds great too!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel so lame. My car has no lightening bolts anywhere. No black lights. Nothing.

I'm off to seek counseling now.

Thanks.

I feel even more lame, my stereo or radio or hi-fi or whatever it's called doesn't even work. Maybe I'll take a look at it this weekend.

rsmitchell10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As promised, here are a couple of pics of my recent set up. Did the audio work with sub in the trunk and ported it so that the bass comes through the interior via the plexi Fangs emblem...I think they did a great job and it looks cool...sounds great too. Also, the emblem inside and the one mounted over the amp in the trunk light up at the flick of a switch. Mine's a Gen II but I preferred the newer emblem over the old.

HLN A55

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As promised, here are a couple of pics of my recent set up. Did the audio work with sub in the trunk and ported it so that the bass comes through the interior via the plexi Fangs emblem...I think they did a great job and it looks cool...sounds great too. Also, the emblem inside and the one mounted over the amp in the trunk light up at the flick of a switch. Mine's a Gen II but I preferred the newer emblem over the old.
So how did they port through the gas tank?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow...we need more pics of your interior...those seats look sweet. Who did the leather work? So, you went right through the firewall...did you hit the gas tank at all?

rsmitchell10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure how they routed the porting...I just saw and hear the end result. I just posted a new thread with pics of all my mods just completed...interior, audio, engine, etc.