New viper owner problems on my 97 RT/10

jbrian31

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi all,
Just received my new 97 RT/10 this morning. I bought it from a guy in Oregon, it used to be Dan Vargus, dont know if he is still on this forum. So this morning the truck shows up and they unload it before telling me they were outside and I did a quick inspection to sign for it and drove it into my driveway. Walked around it again and found a massive gouge 1/2 in. deep/17in long on the bottom right passenger skirt panel. Told the driver and right away he got defensive and said his truck didnt do it. Preveous owner said it wasent there when he dropped it off for shipping. Problem is on the shipping form it states "Unable to inspect due to night pick-up, or poor weather conditions, Company is releived of responsibility for damage that is impossible to detect under these conditions-"RAIN". Cause it was raining and getting dark. I had the driver mark the form showing the damage to the viper. The Well I used Express Auto Transport to ship it to me in Mississippi, and they contracted Brinel, LLC to haul it in an enclosed truck. I dont know who to go after if even able, for damages. I have a bunch of questions now. Like...

1. How much does it cost to replace the bottom passenger side skirt? or Repair?
2. Where can I get a replacement body part?
3. What the best course of action to take?
4. Who do I make pay for damages, Express Auto or Brinel LLC?

Anyone have a problem like this before, please help!

[media]http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/500/medium/damage_rt10.jpg[/media]

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
maybe one of the lawyers here will chime in for ya

repair might run you 350-400 id bet.

im sorry to hear this, this does stink. but im sure the viper will make it right once you get it fixed up... :)

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That mark is obviously from backing it off the trailer... Doesn't take a doctor to diagnose that one.

Id be super pissed too. Go after all of them!!!!

:usa:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ouch. Not the best way to start off ownership. Probably get it fixed for a couple hundred.

Did the previous owner's bill have the "can't inspect due to weather on HIS copy of the shipping bill? Seems that if the previous owner signed off on "can't inspect" he may have relieved the shipping company of responsibility? However, if the previous owner's copy of the bill doesn't say that ... ?

Ted

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With these things, you'll generally work with the broker first - they should be licensed and bonded. Some of them will have a clause in their Terms and Conditions (you should have this in your contract) that excludes any damage caused to the undercarriage, brakes, etc., because they claim they 'can't see those areas at time of pick up and therefore can't determine what pre-existing damage was there'. I personally think that clause is complete crap and if you see that in a contract, you should avoid that carrier like the plague. If you're having a brand-new car transported, it's a little easier to get damage covered because it's very clear that the car was new and undamaged at time of pick up. For a used car, you'll need to get the previous owner to provide evidence that there was no damage prior to pick-up. I hear your pain - transporting a car can be a nightmare...

I looked up Express Auto Transport on "transportreviews.com" and they are required to carry bond insurance. But, there are two listings for them, and one says they have a bond insurance certificate on file, and one says they don't. They're 'four star' listed, by the way - and I'd personally avoid anyone that's not 'five star.'

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Best just to get it fixed. I worked on the car and it is a very rare model.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just had a set of these repaired on a New UK members 02 RT/10..

He did exactly that backing the car on a trailor but did both... Got them both rolled out (there ally) and repainted for £400....

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good Lord - I LOVE the 97 blue and white striped RT/10. How I'd love one of those, another 1996 GTS and a 1998 GT2 for my Gen II collection....

It is a rare car - take good care of it.

Hope it works out - side sills are NOT cheap - and it's not easy finding someone that is good with working aluminum.

Janni

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I know the car well......have been on-track behind it a few times as well. The owner was here in WA, not OR. I think I have a hard top from that very car in my warehouse!

The sill is aluminum and can be repaired. But DONT let the carrier off the hook! Flashlights are for nightime inspections. File a complaint with your State Atty Genl consumer office for starters.......

OP
OP
J

jbrian31

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I had no luck getting the shipping company to take liability and because of the wording on the bill I signed I am SOL. I will be filling complants with BBB.

I decided to ship the part to Autowerks in Chicago, IL to fix after I read some good reviews about them. Its $830 to fix and paint vs minimum $950(ebay price) plus $250 to paint a new one. But I just paid $150 to pack and ship it one way,(packing material is more expensive than viper parts) cant win I guess.

JonB, Actually I bought my Viper from a guy in OR who bought it from Dan Vargus in WA. This top you mentioned, is it the factory one that is just blue, no stripes? The one I have has stripes.

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
Autowerks here in Chicago is awesome. You will not be disappointed.

A

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

JonB, Actually I bought my Viper from a guy in OR who bought it from Dan Vargus in WA. This top you mentioned, is it the factory one that is just blue, no stripes? The one I have has stripes.

Yes, solid blue MoPar OE Top from THAT specific car !

BBB wont help you....your State ICC will help you for free. File a complaint, these carriers are registered and have a bond.......

TheyCallMeDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,
Just received my new 97 RT/10 this morning. I bought it from a guy in Oregon, it used to be Dan Vargus, dont know if he is still on this forum. So this morning the truck shows up and they unload it before telling me they were outside and I did a quick inspection to sign for it and drove it into my driveway. Walked around it again and found a massive gouge 1/2 in. deep/17in long on the bottom right passenger skirt panel. Told the driver and right away he got defensive and said his truck didnt do it. Preveous owner said it wasent there when he dropped it off for shipping. Problem is on the shipping form it states "Unable to inspect due to night pick-up, or poor weather conditions, Company is releived of responsibility for damage that is impossible to detect under these conditions-"RAIN". Cause it was raining and getting dark. I had the driver mark the form showing the damage to the viper. The Well I used Express Auto Transport to ship it to me in Mississippi, and they contracted Brinel, LLC to haul it in an enclosed truck. I dont know who to go after if even able, for damages. I have a bunch of questions now. Like...

1. How much does it cost to replace the bottom passenger side skirt? or Repair?
2. Where can I get a replacement body part?
3. What the best course of action to take?
4. Who do I make pay for damages, Express Auto or Brinel LLC?

Anyone have a problem like this before, please help!

[media]http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/500/medium/damage_rt10.jpg[/media]

Im not trying to bash you over the head , but I am wondering why you didnt pick up your Viper in person from the Seller , closely inspect it yourself, before buying and enjoying the ride back home ? Even if you had to fly to the Sellers location, it would have safeguarded yourself . Whats your thoughts on this in hindsight ? Again..dont mean any insults --- just wondering about the rationale of having an exotic like a Viper delivered by Truck to you . Thanks for sharing and I hope you can get it resolved in your favor.

red heat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a good body guy can reshape the same side sill and make it look like it never happened. This happened to my 02 RT/10. looks perfect after it was repaired.

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a good body guy can reshape the same side sill and make it look like it never happened. This happened to my 02 RT/10. looks perfect after it was repaired.

That part sustains a LOT of heat that will expose most bodywork. If you never want it to show again you most likely will have to get one with no damage. Aluminum isn't very forgiving.

Ron

red heat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had hi flo cats installed with thermal wrap while the side sills were being repaired. had some extra venting done to the sides as well. still looks new after a summer of driving.