New Viper Owner questions...

jbs45

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2002, Graphite Metallic RT/10 with Cognac interior. I have a few questions that I would really appreciate an answer to.

1. The gas gauge is horrible at not staying steady. Accelerating, going around corners, up and down hills, it's all over the place!! I never know where my real level is at. Is this normal?

2. Does anyone have the clear, front-end bra on their Viper? If so, how much did you pay and do you like it? I hate scrubbing bugs off the paint. I figured a clear bra would help with this.

3. The little floor screw that holds the driver's side floor mat in place is broke. So now the floor mat is moving all around while I'm shifting. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement?

4. The leather gear shift knob, which is the Cognac interior, is showing signs of wear. I have inquired at different places, but no one seems to have a replacement part for this. Any suggestions?

5. At what engine temperature should one be concerned? It's usually around 190 or so, is that normal also?

Sorry so many questions, but I figured someone could answer some or all of them. I have been reading this forum for a year or so now. And since I finally bought a Viper, I look forward to getting to know some of you.

Thanks!!

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WELCOME !!!

1. NO - not accurate but steady.
2. Bra? Is for big breasted women. I would hate to see the bra rubbing my paint!
3. Use strings to tie the floor mat to the seat - much better.
4. Go MGW !!! With a sneake pete logo!
5. 190 is OK.

Reaction score
Congratulations and welcome to the Viperholica of America!

Join the VCA and take a Skip Barber Driving school. Both will maximize your ownership experience. Add power with respect of the road conditions and keep the steering wheel straight(car straight) if getting agressive.

Get your braking done in a straight line. The massive torque will allow easy oversteer and the brakes can also induce oversteer under heavy braking when turning(back wheels lose grip because of weight trasnfer to the front tires). Not a good idea to have big grip up front and poor grip on the back.

2. http://norcal.viperclub.org/matorder.php is the best choice. Remove the stock mats before you get back in the Viper. You do not want the mats bunched under the brake. A bunched mat can also cause the accelerator to stick.
5. 190-220 is pretty normal for GEN I and II's

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like you got your answers...I just wanted to comment on your car....Very arguably the nicest color combo ever sold....Best of luck! :headbang: Post some pics!

OP
OP
J

jbs45

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their help so far! No one has put one of the new clear bras on their VIPER, not woman, yet??? lol

Is there anyway to correct the gas gauge from being so sloppy?

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John Welcome and Congrats!! :2tu:

1> NORMAL! Hold still for 2 mins on level ground. There is NO fix!
2> ?? I'm always taking them off!! :D
3> I use a black wirer tie for my floor mats.
4> Cognac shift knob #SG08WUCAA MSRP $112.00 [less 20% VCA discount] :cool:
5> 190' That's low! Should be 210' :crazy:

OP
OP
J

jbs45

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You wire tie the floormat to the seat bracket? Doesn't that look like crap? Or is it hidden?

Whoaa GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do the Gen 2 gas gauges fluctuate so much? The gen 1's seem to be much more accurate.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You wire tie the floormat to the seat bracket? Doesn't that look like crap? Or is it hidden?

I take an ice pick and poke a hole through the corner of the mat and then through the carpet, it's now out of sight. When I vacuum, I vacuum the mat first and then flip it up on to the seat and finish vacuuming. :cool:

OP
OP
J

jbs45

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sorry!!
Can you post a picture of this wire tie/floor mat set-up for me? I won't steal the patent on it, I just want my mat to stop sliding around!

Thanks!

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why do the Gen 2 gas gauges fluctuate so much? The gen 1's seem to be much more accurate.
Must be certain cars or certain years. The gas gauge on *my* Gen II doesn't move around any more than my Gen I gauge did - although the Gen II does seem to go down slightly faster :cool: (since my Gen II gets slightly worse gas mileage than my Gen I did).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32