New Vipers are not moving??

RMBSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have noticed there are several new Vipers rolling thru Ebay with no bids ever made on them. It seems a little early in the product life span for that to happen. Especially with such low production numbers....:confused:

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think its more a function of the economy, car business is very tought. Lot's of '08 Z-06's for sale at close to 10K off.

Reaction score
I don't claim to be a sales expert by any means but I would not judge overall sales by the Ebay standard. I would not buy this way and would much rather discus the purchase in person or over the phone to insure all was real first. I know our sales have been VERY good and we are still moving a lot of new AND used Vipers. So I would not worry much about sales slowing on the best Viper to come out of the factory.

Of course this is MHO and not Bill's just to clairfy. He is on vacation so I can get away with posting this. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would agree that a slow economy coupled with an increased cost of living (i.e. higher gas prices equals less disposable income) are the main reason for slow sales. No bids on Ebay doesn't necessarily mean that potential buyers have not at least made inquiries - as any seller has the right to end an auction early if a deal is consummated in person or by telephone.

Yes, some dealerships are selling new Vipers but sales overall are definitely below expectations.

MacManInfi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paid $4.79 per gallon a couple mornings ago. Every time I go to the pump, it's ten cents a gallon more. Craziness. It's costing about $70 for a tank of gas now. It's not surprising that everyone's mind is currently on fuel economy. I bet the auto manufacturers are crapping their pants with all the SUV's they're sitting on.

I've been considering buying a Prius, something that I never thought I'd do, but something's gotta give. It's not so much that I can't afford the gas, it just ****** me off to pay that much. Feel like someone's taking advantage, and I don't want to sit back and do nothing about it. I'm keeping the Viper of course, but it's gotta be in the garage a lot more these days.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Paid $4.79 per gallon a couple mornings ago. Every time I go to the pump, it's ten cents a gallon more. Craziness. It's costing about $70 for a tank of gas now. It's not surprising that everyone's mind is currently on fuel economy. I bet the auto manufacturers are crapping their pants with all the SUV's they're sitting on.

I've been considering buying a Prius, something that I never thought I'd do, but something's gotta give. It's not so much that I can't afford the gas, it just ****** me off to pay that much. Feel like someone's taking advantage, and I don't want to sit back and do nothing about it. I'm keeping the Viper of course, but it's gotta be in the garage a lot more these days.

Payback on a prius is to long even as compared to my 2500 Yukon. I'm looking to pick up a cheap used ford focus for 2500 with 21K miles. Even at that it takes 2 years of driving to just cover the $2500 and that's just the gas differential at $4.70/gallon , not added insurance, registration, sales tax and maintanence.

I did the comparison between a honda Civic and Civic hybrid. It took me about 15 years to break even....screw that not only will the batteries not last that long what's going to change in technology in the meantime. I'd buy the regular one first.

pe5787

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I am also considering a Prius because I dont like the countries my money is going to. I wont give up my viper/hot rod hobby but will change my day to day drive.

DEKE01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, some dealerships are selling new Vipers but sales overall are definitely below expectations.

I'm not saying you're wrong because I don't know what the expectations were, but what is your basis for saying sales are below expectations?

If the factory has been running basicaly full time, all product is sold before it gets built, and production is running into the latter portion of the year to meet demand, that sounds like demand is strong.

I realize some of the sold Vipers may be sold to dealers and sitting on lots waiting to be really sold to the end customer, but how many can that be? Does anyone know of a dealer with several Vipers sitting around on display? Not that I've heard of. All I know for sure is that the two Dodge dealerships I've been in this year had no Vipers except the ones being serviced.

MacManInfi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the comparison between a honda Civic and Civic hybrid. It took me about 15 years to break even....screw that not only will the batteries not last that long what's going to change in technology in the meantime. I'd buy the regular one first.

Just curious, did you factor in an estimation of the fuel cost increasing? I don't think I've ever seen it increase as quickly and steadily as it has in the last three months or so.

But I totally understand the math behind the civic vs hybrid example. I've seen similar results in Autoweek comparisons. The funny thing is that no matter what, hybrid or not, every time I gotta put gas in the car I'm going to be angry about the gas prices.

What I really want for a driver is natural gas powered, or fully electric. Something I don't have to fill up, ever. :)

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm not saying you're wrong because I don't know what the expectations were, but what is your basis for saying sales are below expectations?

If the factory has been running basicaly full time, all product is sold before it gets built, and production is running into the latter portion of the year to meet demand, that sounds like demand is strong.

I realize some of the sold Vipers may be sold to dealers and sitting on lots waiting to be really sold to the end customer, but how many can that be? Does anyone know of a dealer with several Vipers sitting around on display? Not that I've heard of. All I know for sure is that the two Dodge dealerships I've been in this year had no Vipers except the ones being serviced.

I know of quite a few dealerships with an unsold Viper or Vipers still waiting for buyers - a couple of them are sponsors of this site. Just like in 2004 when some these cars were sold at damn near bargin basement prices (thousands under invoice) just to move them off the lots because the supply far exceeded the demand. That along with a $33k hit in three years on an '05 should be unheard of for this type of car and should tell you something. Unfortunately, the Viper is not immune to this as there are several other high end cars (see the Z06 as someone proviously mentioned) in the same boat. I entered this Viper thing in 1997 (I've owned four to date) and I can definitely see the difference between then and now.

Hmmm.... maybe those dealerships refuse to get back into the Viper selling business for obvious reasons (I know of a few). And to answer your question, anytime the price of a limited production vehicle such as the Viper starts to inch closer to cost, sales are below expectations.

Last edited:

94EmeraldGreen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting thread. I noticed the same. Sold my 94 recently and considering an 08 as well as 96-97 GTS. Seen a number of new ones re-listed multiple times.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm allergic to ecomentalists. And Prius drivers. Whenever I see a Prius, my right foot sneezes and pushes harder on the gas pedal.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Read a thread on this site that ALL 08s have been sold.

My Viper gets 20mpg while the wife's V6 gets 19mpg. Hit a deer because damn SUVs don't stop or handle worth s... I've killed 3 Deer and 1 Moose driving either SUVs or Pickups. Gas mileage? My F150 gets 17mpg. Gas is over $6. per US gallon (because we pay extra taxes).

Don't like the countries your gas money is going to? US taxes and nationally produced oils, Canada in the west.

A Hybrid wouldn't drive in the mountains. Neither would elec. City junk. Imagine how much money you save when you buy a Viper compared to a Ferrari or Porsche. Use the extra few hundred thousand dollars for gas. I bought a used one and I figure the $100,000 I saved on new and modifications will buy gas for the rest of my life.

Mostly, I love driving a Viper or my Stealth R/T TT. Driving anything else totally ruins my day! Life is too short to worry about all the rip-off taxes that I pay. I get made each time I pay massive taxes, like at the gas pumps, but then I relax.

Angry's good - take that anger to the government, call your Senator, Governor, MP, MLA, etc. I'm guessing that the only reason the governement doesn't fix the fuel prices is because they collect more in taxes than the fuel companies profits. The government loves the high prices.

Just my opinion, but I can't find out how much taxes we ACTUALLY pay because many taxes have different names and they're mostly 'hidden costs'.

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm allergic to ecomentalists. And Prius drivers. Whenever I see a Prius, my right foot sneezes and pushes harder on the gas pedal.

ditto. And I've seen a few 'smartcars' on the higway! Scary looking as they move all over the highway in the winds. Waiting to see one get blown off the highway by a Semi.

Ted

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I ended up sitting at a light next to a Prius. He rolled down his window and told me, "I'm sure that car uses a lot of gas!" I said back to him....."I'm glad your using less gas with that car so I'll have more to use in mine!" He got pissed and didn't say another word.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wonder how much extra cost for Batteries, generator, etc.? I'm thinking that maybe just battery replacement is more expensive than gas?

Ted

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 2008 Viper allocation is completely sold out. EBay activity by dealers who happen to be sitting on a car does not represent serious selling experience but relates more to simple advertising exposure to drag in the inexperienced buyer to sell at the highest possible price and to increase showroom traffic around other vehicles. Indeed, the fact that the car is on EBay really indicates a desire to get more for these cars than less.

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ditto. And I've seen a few 'smartcars' on the higway! Scary looking as they move all over the highway in the winds. Waiting to see one get blown off the highway by a Semi.

Ted

Hey now, no making fun of smartcars... That, with my segway, gets my mileage average in the "normal" range. I'll tell you it moves around less than my H2 in the winds...

And I agree with the other comment, when I see a prius, I LOVE to hit the gas and pass them as loud and as fast as possible, just to make up for their gas-sipping...

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If 08' factory production is sold out, and 09' production is starting, I would call that a success. If the secondary and used car markets are slow, that is too bad. Means better prices for the consumer so where is the real gripe here? Guess I am not seeing it, but then again my glasses are not always green shaded.

Certain vehicles will take a real hit in this market. Generally the SUVs get a bad rap, but it is amazing that more people do not BALANCE their checkbook or even know how to use a fricken' calculator. If you added up the "bath" you would take on an SUV trade versus sucking up the difference in fuel costs, you could not justify buying into some of these latest "green crazes". AND some are nothing more than a fad or craze. If it makes sense and you can justify it on paper for youself, then it is probably worth doing. If not, do not buy into it and stop being a sheep.

The tree huggers want everyone to have no footprint on the world and that is a physical impossibility. Can we clean up our acts, yes we can, but it really starts with large industry, diesel rigs and the like and it WILL come at a cost to all. There is just no way around it. I am not anti-industry by any measure but there are things we can do to clean up our acts, however it costs a lot of money to do that and economics does play into that. If it comes down to a morale issue, let the government step in and subsidize. The problems started there in the first place.

The bottomline is that the ONLY alternative to Oil will come from an abundance and easily/readily available resource to the world. Is that: 1.) Ethanol? Nope cuts into the food supply, depletes soil life and requires massive amounts of energy to refine. It is a helper to clean up Oil when in 15% amounts, etc. but pure 100% Ethanol. Never happen for long periods of time. Go away FAD! 2.) Electricity? Nope as it has to come from somewhere. Think your coal burning plant is putting water vapor in the air? Do your energy balance and see how well you feel about your green life then. It is not sustainable in it's present form. 3.) Water (Hydrogen) This is the one that has a potential chance, if there is a way to simply put in water and have the vehicle convert it directly to hyrdogen for energy. Footprint is small if contained to the vehicle converting simple water. If it reqires Hydrogen to be produced in large quantities, it will fail. 4.) Solar. When in a personal vehicle, yes no footprint, but current battery storage is not the answer. Think about your laptop once the battery dies, a lot of people just simple want to buy a new laptop after a number of years. These battery storage cars are going to be no different. 5.) Hybrid. Every vehicle in the near future will be a hybrid of some kind but the current hybrids with their battery issues and battery disposal issues are not the answer. the concept of using all positive and negative energy in a balance is the way things will go though in the future.

Anyway enough rant! I did recently trade in my new 2007 Jeep SRT8 because of poor build quality but more importantly because it was averaging only 12.3 mpg highway/city/all the time. Paid $15K difference and picked up another pre-owned certified 2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo X50 (pre-Turbo S factory package). The original MRSP was just shy of $130K, the vehicle is only 2.5 years old and I bought it for $54K with another 3.9 years, 68,000 miles left, $0 deductible factory bumper to bumper warranty. Previous owner chipped it to about 580 hp and the thing got 20.1 mpg on it's first tank, mainly highway miles. Happy, you bet and that mileage is good enough for me for now.

My point is just because the media says to do something, doesn't mean you should do it or listen to it as fact. Use your head and little common sense. All 08' Vipers from the factory are sold and they are starting on 09', how can that not possible be a success as they moved from th factory with sold signs. The first thing the next president should do is call Norad, point the missles at the CNN, Headline News and FOX News satelittes and blow them right out of the sky. We don't need any other country to hurt us or our economy. We will do it by ourselves because the media in our country is completely out of control. You have to be smart and look and judge things for what they are not what other people tell you.

BTW Can't keep the new Viper's in the showrooms in Colorado. Just none sitting around.

K

Kaya

Well, I don't know about the rest of the world, but they are selling well here in Cajun country. My husband has put 3 verts and a coupe on the road so far this year out of a dealership that had generally done about 3 cars altogether before 06. He sold 3 of 6 in 06, too. He is working on a deal involving a like new 06 coupe now, and they are also expecting an orange with stripes and a red with stripes coupe to close out the model year. The economy here is somwhat slower, but the offshore oil exploration and marine fab yards are running full speed to keep up still. In fact , he has put more Vipers on the road this year than he has dually diesel pickups! Go figure. Kaya.

OP
OP
R

RMBSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that ebay is not the best measurement of sales but I have seen too many sit there with ZERO BIDS. That is not good for a low production car. This is not a Vette were are talking about. For the dealers to be giving discounts on the first year of production is not the best sign.

As far as the production run being sold out...all of the Vipers sitting at dealers now are "sold" units. Every Vette produced is a "sold" unit. Not a good measurement tool.

jessewallace

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i also think the vipers on ebay are a bad sign for dodge. but i strongly believe it's mostly due to the economy, not the car itself. like others have said, nothing is selling.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

LOL !! Personally, I try not to make judgements about why people drive what they drive. I hate when people feel a need to do some amateur psychoanalysis to figure out why I drive a Viper. I like the sound. I like the power. I like the handling. I like the look.

Many Prius owners just like the "game" of seeing how high they can get their miles per gallon numbers. They like feeling like they are sticking it to the oil companies.

I get it. But I'm not getting one until they get 125 miles per gallon.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ended up sitting at a light next to a Prius. He rolled down his window and told me, "I'm sure that car uses a lot of gas!" I said back to him....."I'm glad your using less gas with that car so I'll have more to use in mine!" He got pissed and didn't say another word.
I LOVE IT!:lmao: