Nitrous on a 08 Viper

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I only know of 2 people that are spraying nitrous on the Gen 4 Vipers. One dyno'd really well (680whp/790wtrq) but had issues with the venom controller powering down the car after a shift. I believe I saw photos of a 2nd car that had a wet kit plumbed into the intake tubes, but they haven't posted anything other than a photo showing the nozzle location. Supposedly the Mopar PCM is supposed to allow for a small shot (75 shot?) but I was curious if anyone has tried spraying the car, and then letting off before the shift, and then spraying again after the shift. Don't know much about nitrous, so I'm not sure if they have a controller that could spray during a specified RPM range (i.e.) 3500 rpm-5500 rpm and this would allow the car to be sprayed. Thanks in advance! :2tu:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the 08's were introduced at the VCA Presidents meeting we got to see a few of the new engines run on dynos.

At the time we had a sit down with the engine engineers to go over the improvements over the previous design.

They mentioned a few times that aftermarket power adders were going to be difficult with this engine. While naturally aspiration upgrades could bring additional power, that NOS, Superchargers and Turbos were going to be much more difficult to integrate, partially due to the much more sophisticated Viper computer controls.

If you are planning on spraying for the street, windows could be used to manage spray, but you gotta be really careful with NOS if you are going to be on and off the throttle. Don't want to be spraying when fuel is cut off.

On the strip you are going to be below 5,000 RPM only in first gear in a Gen IV.

With the hp increase above 4,000 in the stock car, it might be difficult to manage with the hp and torque varying so much all the time.

Someone will figure this all out, but there will be challenges.

ACRsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i had nitrous on 2 cars before , very nice for the first couple of weeks then the novelty wears off . although my motors didnt blow up - i saw too many motors blow from nitrous ! And a viper engine is just too expensive to risk it .

IMHO 75 hp wont feel that faster . If you do it make sure you have the window switch .

good luck:drive:

OP
OP
M

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the information guys. I'll relay the information to my friend that wanted to know.

FEDBYVORTECH

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have played a bit with NOS. 75hp its like "is this thing working". 90hp ok I feel a little. Once you cross over into 125HP that's when your like yeeaa haaa. I did not try on viper motor. Not sure I would. Good Luck please post pics before and after of your oil pan :)

OP
OP
M

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
haha, I'm not a nitrous guy, a friend was asking. My Viper is my daily driver, I'm not blowing the motor up on it.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I mean no offense. But NOS on a 2008 Viper, with warranty?? Are you serious? This would literally be the last thing in the world I would consider.. I watched a brand new Z06 burn to the ground from a NOS backfire. And have never (not once) seen a proper NOS set up... possible voided warranty? possible no coverage from an insurance company if the car backfires and blows up?

seriously.. don't do this..

OP
OP
M

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I mean no offense. But NOS on a 2008 Viper, with warranty?? Are you serious? This would literally be the last thing in the world I would consider.. I watched a brand new Z06 burn to the ground from a NOS backfire. And have never (not once) seen a proper NOS set up... possible voided warranty? possible no coverage from an insurance company if the car backfires and blows up?

seriously.. don't do this..

:rolaugh: Not for me, I wouldn't want my daily to not have a warranty.

However, in my group of car buddies here in dallas, we have 3 1000whp+ TT Vipers, 2 paxton Viper's with built motors and one with a stock motor, 4 Gen IV Vipers with all bolt ons, several blown vettes, a few nitrous vettes, and lots of nitrous cars. It's a sickness here in Dallas, and one Gen IV owner wants to hang with the faster cars. Some people have great experiences with nitrous, others just stick with boost or N/A since they've "heard stories". I use 2 wheels to satisfy my speed rush though ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960