Nooooooooo N'berg 7m11s

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny I saw that car at the ring a month ago. I took some close up pictures of it. It looks ok up close. Kit car look to it. I will post pics here soon.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The label "production" should be better defined... like "must be street legal in the top 5-10 auto sales countries in the world". I could care less what some guy in his shop hacks up.

ivanrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The thing weighs as much as a Mini Cooper. Street legal race car? I'm sure there are no airbags in this thing. And have you see what's it like to get in and out? And the driving position? This thing is a race car with body panels regardless of what claims they wish to make. Oh, and don't expect picking one up at your local Audi dealer. It's not even coming over here.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gumpert Sportwagenmanufaktur

300.000 EURO. 35 cars (perhaps) built.
2000 pounds weight.
650 hp.
Lots of MTM technique in the car.

Gumpert is a very very small car manufacturer in fact ... with lots of financial troubles ...how many cars they have actually build is not known. But customers seem to be not very happy with the quality of the cars...(found on German car forums).

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably, they have different models and I did not check all of them ... the RING car was about 1000 kg or LESS :eater:

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
35 units built does not = production car
That said, congrats on putting up that time. Very impressive.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
35 units built does not = production car
That said, congrats on putting up that time. Very impressive.
NOT defending the Gumpert, but.....what about the Lamborghini Reventon?
They only made 20 of those.

I agree with the other posters here: We need a CLEAR definition of what "production" is.
I might start a thread to discuss. :)

01ACR/VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree with the other posters here: We need a CLEAR definition of what "production" is.

The Lamborghini Reventon did not claim to beat the ACR.:dunno:

But I`m sure it could.

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t consider this a ‘production’ car. No ABS, air bags, DRL, HMSL and I don’t even think it has DOT legal seat belts and just forget about emission and noise regulations. I really doubt that the front end of that car meets any crash standard outside of India. Also no dealerships – what production car has ZERO dealerships?

I will say that the car is very, very impressive and should compete well in whatever series it fits in. I know that Top Gear tested the car but Clarkson wasn't the tester because he couldn't fit into the car. If I remember correctly the seat wasn't adjustable. Hammond tested it and was quite impressed. It's a very, very cool car - and wicked fast, no doubt about it.

My opinion is - ‘the ACR is still king’. Your opinion may differ.

Greg

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Records are made to be broken, congrats. to them. Doesn't sound like a "production" car by any standard I've ever heard of. Remember when there was like 500 cars built to be certified-was that with the Cobra-or the Boss429- maybe the Superbird? Can't recall. Oh well, maybe next time the ACR 'takes a crack at it', the driver will not only know 'the ring', but will also know the ACR. This is not said to minimize the driver who drove it last time, he did a great job with it for having not driven it before, at least that was the way I read it. Part of it might have been the gearing-hit the rev limiter a bunch. But, isn't it interesting how rules get changed when Viper wins-Weight addition- restrictors-whatever? I can't believe they had a "ringer at the ring", can you?;)

Last edited:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Reventon would be street legal here, and in most major industrial countries.

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe this Apollo needs an * next to its time at the Ring like Barry Bonds and the home run record. I certainly don't think this car qualifies as a street-ready "production" car if there's nowhere to buy one. I'd love to go over to my local Audi dealer and ask to see a Gumpert Apollo - just to see if they even know what it is :D

Last edited:

Frankster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never heard of the car. Prediction.....it will end up within the same obscurity from whence it came.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
There's a Saleen S7tt that did about 6:30. (No, not production spec). We can play that game, too.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last edited:

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slick! Funny you should take pics of it and then we all start talking about this odd car! :lmao:

Yeah, with only a handful built, is it considered a record for the books regardless of if we think it is right or not? I agree, the Viper has the title from production car point of view, but if we want to get into specialty, 1 off cars, there are alot of options and possiblities. :hmmm:

Let me go build a V10 lawn mower and take a trip at the ring...I will call it a production unit as it will be a big production when I race that thing. ;)