Normally Aspirated power upgrade on a Gen 2 (96)

OP
OP
M

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cfiiman,
Zorst smoke was just a little steam heating off the headers – no-biggie!

CEF,
Good things come to those that wait.

Final GTS/Fatty/Cfiiman/CEJ/Knight Viper/Voodoo Rob/Blackandblue01/JnM SRT/MTGTS/Plum and everyone else that's taken the time to say a few words,
"Many thanks for posting – much appreciated."

So here we go - Zorst install just about to start - off she goes on a trailer, 130 miles down the road to www.viper-zorst-r-us.com :dunno:

You must be registered for see images attach

Okay…. that was last week – this is this week……

ETA Friday…… :2tu:

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The exhaust is Belanger to the turnbacks - the rest is hand-made.
The muffler is repackable.

OP
OP
M

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They just keep-a-coming.

OP
OP
M

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, rear O2 sensors plumbed as normal.

Not sure about the tail pipes though - wadda you think? :dunno:

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do as well but the left one is certainly one-of-a-kind and might grow on us.....

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the one on the left looks like it will slice you open pretty good if your using the trunk

OP
OP
M

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I totally agree with you all - the one on the left looks like a retired piece of the space shuttle.

Anyway, all fabrication work is now complete and sound testing came in at 98dB for 4,500 rpm so I'm good to go.
I pick her up tomorrow then it's off for a dyno tune on Saturday and some software tweeks.

This next couple of days are what this project are all about - the spoils of all the hard work.
I can't wait to get a trackday event organised to do that last 'seat of the pants' test.

Photos/vid to follow.

OP
OP
M

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dyno testing went reasonably well yesterday.

Video attached – hope you enjoy…..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSqh755b8BA

The new zorst sounds stunning….. video sound clips are sometimes not very good - it’s got a low rumble, no harsh rasp at all …… just how I wanted it. :2tu:

Dyno results were very promising too - topped at 585 bhp with the second flash but the software-tweek-gremlins were out in force and a PCM comms fault prevented any further improvement.

Will need to resume testing when the comms fault is cleared, although 585 bhp isn’t bad is it?

OP
OP
M

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A call for help…..
I need to pick your brains to see if anyone has experienced the following problem/s:-

As you know from my post above, during dyno tuning I developed a software gremlin that resulted in locking the PCM comms “error code 11 no autodetect”
To cut a long story short, I’d flashed a corrupt MAP during the tuning that caused the PCM to fail comms.
I tried SCT recovery file/s at the time but they were ineffective.

SCT have now had the PCM and programmer for 2-weeks but they have been unable to kick it back into life – they also do not have any resource to help me further.
I have a mixture of emotions but let’s stick with disappointed for the moment……
They suggest a Chrysler flash tool MIGHT be able to bring it back to life, but they cannot facilitate this for me.
I’m following a lead on this but any help/advice/support anyone has will be gratefully received.

Does anyone have any experience of this problem?

My way forward, unless anyone has any other ideas:-
Plan A is to reset my PCMs – yes, I actually have 2 PCMs, both locked up beyond SCT control.
One is locked because of the bad MAP - the other is locked because the bad MAP was not written for that PCM - subtly different lockups but important to differentiate.
Does anyone have any experience of locked PCMs that SCT cannot deal with?
Does anyone have any experience of resetting PCMs with Chrysler flash tools?

Plan B (which may quickly turn into plan A) is to source a replacement PCM, preferably a used one.
If plan A fails, does anyone have a serviceable Gen2 PCM they don’t want and are prepared to part with?

Many thanks, in advance.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A call for help…..
I need to pick your brains to see if anyone has experienced the following problem/s:-

As you know from my post above, during dyno tuning I developed a software gremlin that resulted in locking the PCM comms “error code 11 no autodetect”
To cut a long story short, I’d flashed a corrupt MAP during the tuning that caused the PCM to fail comms.
I tried SCT recovery file/s at the time but they were ineffective.

SCT have now had the PCM and programmer for 2-weeks but they have been unable to kick it back into life – they also do not have any resource to help me further.
I have a mixture of emotions but let’s stick with disappointed for the moment……
They suggest a Chrysler flash tool MIGHT be able to bring it back to life, but they cannot facilitate this for me.
I’m following a lead on this but any help/advice/support anyone has will be gratefully received.

Does anyone have any experience of this problem?

My way forward, unless anyone has any other ideas:-
Plan A is to reset my PCMs – yes, I actually have 2 PCMs, both locked up beyond SCT control.
One is locked because of the bad MAP - the other is locked because the bad MAP was not written for that PCM - subtly different lockups but important to differentiate.
Does anyone have any experience of locked PCMs that SCT cannot deal with?
Does anyone have any experience of resetting PCMs with Chrysler flash tools?

Plan B (which may quickly turn into plan A) is to source a replacement PCM, preferably a used one.
If plan A fails, does anyone have a serviceable Gen2 PCM they don’t want and are prepared to part with?

Many thanks, in advance.

Is your ECU here in Orlando with SCT? Moparboyy is a service advisor at a local dealership here in Orlando and he might be able to arrange for it to be able to be hooked up to a Starscan tool at the dealership. May want to shoot him a PM if it's here.

I am not in as bad of a situation as you right now with my SCT but I'm not very happy with it @ all. Not being able to log with it is really annoying and really lengthening the whole tuning process. I'm honestly thinking about going in a different direction as far as tuning is concerned.

There is a 1999 ecu on Ebay for $200 last I checked if all else fails

Last edited:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Max, I would contact Chris from DCPerformance, Sean@ROE, and Dan@ViperSpecialty. All of them have extensive experience with the SCT and can hopfully help you.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, but people still know people that know people. I assume those guys can be reached somehow and would be willing to help a Viper bro out with a quick phone convo.

From the recent thread:
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/652824-DC-Performance-closed-lt-(
I cannot tell you how many great people I have met over the years working with the Viper. I want to thank Mark Jorgenson and Woodhouse for their years of support. Jon B for a constant supply of used parts and all the engineers at Chrysler for their constant help. Everyone in the Dodge Viper family has been just great. I hope to continue with all of you in the future. I can be reached at 310-597-6295 or [email protected].

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Max, I would contact Chris from DCPerformance, Sean@ROE, and Dan@ViperSpecialty. All of them have extensive experience with the SCT and can hopfully help you.

Many thanks. :2tu:

Is your ECU here in Orlando with SCT? Moparboyy is a service advisor at a local dealership here in Orlando and he might be able to arrange for it to be able to be hooked up to a Starscan tool at the dealership. May want to shoot him a PM if it's here.

I am not in as bad of a situation as you right now with my SCT but I'm not very happy with it @ all. Not being able to log with it is really annoying and really lengthening the whole tuning process. I'm honestly thinking about going in a different direction as far as tuning is concerned.

There is a 1999 ecu on Ebay for $200 last I checked if all else fails

Yeh, PCMs and SCT programmer are still with SCT, until I say what to do.
I just PMd MoparBoyy.
I wanna get this resolved quickly - it's been long enough.

MoparBoyy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have access to flash the PCM but all our tools plug into the car, not direct into the PCM. i guess we could try plugging your PCM into my car, then flashing it. i dont think it would damage my car.

MoparBoyy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my bad, I thought I remember you telling me you were a service advisor. oh well, I bet you still have access to a starscan ;)

actually i dont, the starscan ***** balls. we have DRB3, and the wiTech systems. on our old ass Vipers its all DRB3 anyways.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
actually i dont, the starscan ***** balls. we have DRB3, and the wiTech systems. on our old ass Vipers its all DRB3 anyways.
I have no idea why I said Starscan. Definitely need the DRB. I've been looking at waaay to much tuning and logging **** recently to figure out which direction I'm gonna go. Everything for Chrysler/Dodge ***** that isn't $3k+. The new witech stuff is pretty cool, I saw them using that on another car last time I was in for service.

MoparBoyy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
alrighty looks like SCT is gonna drop off your ECUs at my shop tomorrow morning. As long as the weather is ok, I'll bring my Viper into work and try and get them flashed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456