Normally Aspirated power upgrade on a Gen 2 (96)

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to love this website, helping one another is what the VCA is all about. we may all be a few thousand miles away from each other but having forums like this is Awesome :1up:

MoparBoyy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SCT just dropped off your PCMs to me here at the dealer. Got my car here this morning also, I'll see what i can do after work today.

MoparBoyy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, good news and bad news.

One of the PCMs is junk, coding in it is pretty bad and was unable to recover it.

the other PCM i was able to load the 1996 stock GTS software on it. In my car it started and ran, didn't drive it around but it appears to be working again!

OP
OP
M

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, good news and bad news.

One of the PCMs is junk, coding in it is pretty bad and was unable to recover it.

the other PCM i was able to load the 1996 stock GTS software on it. In my car it started and ran, didn't drive it around but it appears to be working again!

That is excellent news - huge thanks. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:
:clap::drive::2tu::dance:

OP
OP
M

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no problem. i was actually a little suprised it took it. i fought with the first PCM for about an hour before i just gave up and tried the second one. that one i was able to program in about 20 mins.

From what SCT told me, both PCMs appeared to be locked for slightly different reasons, see my previous post.
I'll talk with SCT today to find out which one woke up and take it from there - my money's on it being my spare/second PCM.
Many thanks again - can't say this often enough. :2tu:

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more - absolutely great job. :2tu:

PCM and flash tool now on there way to Sean Roe to get the program flashed.
With a fair transatlantic wind I should get it ready to fit in a week.
Roll on the next Dyno day although I'm not sure I'll be brave enought to do any more flashing.... :ponder: My 'flashing' days are over, I'm gettin too old. :rolaugh:

*********************************************************************************
Not ignoring you nighthawk - had a lot on my mind lately as I'm sure you understand.
Vehicle registration in the UK is called SVA.
I've never done it although several Brits have.
This link should give you a little to read.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motorin...icle/ImportingAndExportingAVehicle/DG_4022105
Ade.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good to hear!! I didn't know if Roe was still tuning cars or not. I called and inquired about bringing my car to them for tuning and never got a return phone call so I figured they weren't interested or couldn't do it. Hopefully things go smoother from here for you.

OP
OP
M

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re-flashed PCM received and re-fitted last week.
A huge debt of thanks to everyone who's helped me - beers all round at VOI.
The new map is making a huge difference - feels better (more responsive) and sounds smoother at idle.
Final dyno test tweeks will resume at some point soon but I was 99% complete back in March.
Having said that, I'm in a position to do some 'seat of the pants' tests at Santapod raceway within a few weeks to get 1/4 mile results.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, my first 1/4 mile results in after a short afternoon at the drag.
Only managed to get two decent runs in :( where I didn't loose too much time wheel spinning off the start or messin-up shifting from 2nd to 5th :curse:
Whoever said it was gonna be easy??? I put that down to lack of my experince and being overcautions wanting to avoid shifting from 2nd to 1st :omg:

So, the best run of the afternoon was 120mph at 12.29seconds (60' = 2.14secs) (330' = 5.44secs) (1/8mile = 8.15secs 91.62mph) (1000' = 10.42secs 110.16mph).
I could make excuses like, Santapod is an uphill track - 1 in 170 :lmao: or the day was too hot :nono: but I'm not gonna - it was down to me and another time I know I could do better. :2tu:

She (the Viper, of course) performed amazingly and whilst it's not quite the 125mph at 11.**seconds I was lookin for, I'm a happy chappy.

Next test - kick **** at a trackday. :headbang:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTB-P_9EVVo

jav8or

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sweet run. Wish I had a quartermile track to go to.

Did you ever end up making anymore power than the 585whp?

P.S. Good effort in going the N/A route. This seems to be reasonably repeatable. LOVE N/A

OP
OP
M

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:eek2:
Sweet run. Wish I had a quartermile track to go to.

Did you ever end up making anymore power than the 585whp?

P.S. Good effort in going the N/A route. This seems to be reasonably repeatable. LOVE N/A

Thanks.
We think 585 is pretty much it although need to get back to the dyno at some stage for final tweeks - TBA
I've also recently fitted HS roller rockers which may contribute a little. :dunno:

good that shes running again. see you at VOI!

All thanks to you MoparBoyy - :hail:

Here's a little something I found on U Tube - shows my first run of that afternoon (not my video).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyzVC4dkCFo - I think you might need to sign in to U Tube to see it.
Bad luck of the draw against a 1200hp Nissan - if you can't see the vid, you can guess the outcome....... :eek2:

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice run. Very smooth. I haven't seen any GT-Rs juiced to that degree.....they're fast but I was still looking at the B/W in that video

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235