O2 simulators hillbilly style........

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
well sort of.

If there is anyone out there that has done a high flow cat upgrade or install straight pipes and gotten the dreaded check engine light from doing so there may be a cheap remedy.

I installed random tech high flow cats about a year ago on my 01 RT/10 and ever since kept getting bank 1 (drivers side) catalyst below threshold code. I'd just erase the code with the code reader after every trip, but was getting tired of doing this.

Someone at work recommended trying a spark plug non fouler part # 42009 from autozone, on the end of the rear O2 sensor. Basically this is covering up 3/4 of the sensor and pulling it out of the exhaust stream a bit, making the computer think that the cat is working as normal when it isn't. I installed this on the drivers side a week ago, and have gone through several drive cycles now with no check engine light. All of my Inspection monitors are set to ready now. The part from autozone is found in the help section and is 4 dollars.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well sort of.

If there is anyone out there that has done a high flow cat upgrade or install straight pipes and gotten the dreaded check engine light from doing so there may be a cheap remedy.

I installed random tech high flow cats about a year ago on my 01 RT/10 and ever since kept getting bank 1 (drivers side) catalyst below threshold code. I'd just erase the code with the code reader after every trip, but was getting tired of doing this.

Someone at work recommended trying a spark plug non fouler part # 42009 from autozone, on the end of the rear O2 sensor. Basically this is covering up 3/4 of the sensor and pulling it out of the exhaust stream a bit, making the computer think that the cat is working as normal when it isn't. I installed this on the drivers side a week ago, and have gone through several drive cycles now with no check engine light. All of my Inspection monitors are set to ready now. The part from autozone is found in the help section and is 4 dollars.

You need to stack two of the non-foulers together to completely remove the 02 sensor from the exhaust stream. It works.

OP
OP
V

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
While two stacked together can't hurt, mine is working fine with just 1. 200 miles so far and all readiness monitors set to ready and no code thrown.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While two stacked together can't hurt, mine is working fine with just 1. 200 miles so far and all readiness monitors set to ready and no code thrown.

Ah...misread your post. Thought you were still throwing a code with just one.

Ataim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm inserting Code p0420 P0430 just in case someone searches for this.

bcviper123

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone post a picture of this mod on the car. I want to do this but can't picture it.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
put in a **** plug, and zip-tie the connected O2's out of the way. My PCM thinks the "cats" are working great!

Do not use anti foulers, they are a crap shoot. This method mentioned has worked for me for 4+ years. Unscrew, zip tie up, plug the hole. The ONLY issue with this is if they get wet every now and again they will throw a high voltage code (heavy rain and only twice)

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a similar deal in an old car. Pulled the O2 sensors. What we did to protect them was to make a cover for the sensor to thread into. Protects the sensor...

heliguy25

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do not use anti foulers, they are a crap shoot. This method mentioned has worked for me for 4+ years. Unscrew, zip tie up, plug the hole. The ONLY issue with this is if they get wet every now and again they will throw a high voltage code (heavy rain and only twice)
youd rather ziptie them than to use to antifowlers to move. 02 out of way. I'd pay the money for o2 sims before I ziptied

fearsuch

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yeah the anti fouler works great, ive used that in another car also stacked 2 and no check engine light

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd rather use the antifoulers but they are a crap shoot, they don't always work. Verified on multiple vehicles. Its not a matter of money, 02 Sims fail and can cause issues. No isses from the zip tie. OBVIOUSLY they are not zip tied to the exhaust. I believe on one side its attached to the e brake line. Regardless they aren't going anywhere. Good idea on the cover mopar, ill probably throw that on it.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No isses from the zip tie. OBVIOUSLY they are not zip tied to the exhaust. I believe on one side its attached to the e brake line. Regardless they aren't going anywhere.

4 + years for me too. driven in lots of rain :mad: and not 1 code. tied to brake line as well. I thought about putting them back in now that I have hi-flows just to see how they'd react. :dunno:

kenphjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
or if someday you get an sct tuner, they can program it to turn off the rear o2 sensors altogether

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
or if someday you get an sct tuner, they can program it to turn off the rear o2 sensors altogether

Bingo! But back in 2006 or so I found an electronic 02 simulator that just wired into the left and right rear 02 signal wire and sent the PCM a steady voltage signal. It is the size of a small matchbook and I have it stuck inside the tunnel by the rear u-joint. I think it cost like $25 but I have never been able to find the site that I bought it from. It has a little blinking LED on the side of it. Pretty cool and even though now I have my rear 02's shut off via SCT, I just left the little buggar wired into the rear 02's.

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont get what you guys mean by " double stacking foulers" or what the hell a fouler even is. I'd love to elimate my cats under my sills but would hate to throw CEL

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got some at O'Reiley's for $5.00. Hopefully it works and my cat stops melting the paint on the side sill.

brifri11

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just got some at O'Reiley's for $5.00. Hopefully it works and my cat stops melting the paint on the side sill.

I don't know what to say about the paint on the side sills melting, but I did this trick 2 months ago and no CEL. Works great