% of Vipers modified

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Soon2BTT:
My friends at work always talk about cars and what's the best for the money and bla, bla, bla. Well, we had a discussion about Vipers and checked out the targeted demographic for buyers (45-49)and stuff like that. His argument was that hardly any Viper owners modded their cars; like maybe 5%-10% or something, since most were rich old ******** that didn't want to have any part of that. Since I'm in the market for a Supra TT (can't afford a Viper), we usually compare the two cars. I'm inclined to believe that there are quite a few Vipers owners that mod their cars, maybe not as much as the Supra's, maybe I'm wrong. What are your views on this? Not trying to start any flames, as I have the up most respect for Vipers, I think they're awesome cars.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well,
This rich old bas--rd would never think of owning a Supra, so I may not be the one to ask. You'd have better luck to ask that question on the Honda forum, you may get the stupid answer your looking for.

Max

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I gathered Soon2Btt didn't say anything derogatory about viper owners, but mentioned his fellow worker's comments. As for mods, it seems that depends on what you're talking about - a significant # have upgraded to k&n filters and smooth tubes (not big, but technically a "mod").

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think quite a few of us Mod our Vipers!

There is also at least one Doug Levin Supergharged Viper running around Atlanta.

I think your choice to go with a Supra will be a good one. They are affordable and can be modded easily.

Regards,

wiseasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well as for the targeted demographics, the age varys A LOT. I am 31, and I know there are younger owners on this board.

I started modifing my car 2 days after it was in the garage. To each his own.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am only 32 own a 2001 yellow R/T 10 and far from old and rich
and have done only about $1800 worth of mods but good mods i think. They are listed below
smile.gif

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all, I don't think Soon2BSmokedbyaViper was trying to start anything, he was just asking a legit. question. (Not that it would necessarily be bad if he was trying to start something - the Board has been kinda dead since Bangate). But to answer his question, I would guess that the large majority of Vipers have NOT been "modified" beyond filters and tubes. I would even guess that a slim majority are bone stock. Just look at the stock used vipers for sale (and not just in the VCA classifieds). Granted, people may put the car back to stock condition for resale, but I would guess the majority of Viper owners don't put more money into mods than they put miles on the car over the course of a couple years.

The sample of Viper owners who populate this Board is probably a bit skewed with a greater interest in and higher tendency to mod the cars. Kinda like watching Jerry Springer and assuming the American public at large is as "entertaining" as the guests (I guess the jury is still out on that). The best way to figure the answer out is to look at the number of units of headers, heads, etc. sold from aftermarket guys and compare it to the number of Vipers on the road. Pretty small I would guess.

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge built the Viper as a platform for
the insane to modify....$40,000 later...take it from a 56 year "old bastaxd"........
it was worth every exhilerating cent!!!!!!!!!!

unclgreggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
soon tobe TT,

As a previous supra tt owner and a viper gts owner i can say that both cars are great - in there own way. My supra was heavily modified and my viper I would say is basically modified -midified airbox, K&N filters, throttle bodies, headers, exhaust, no cats, mopar ecu. Before I got on this board I had sort of ideas you had - boy was i wrong! These guys are serious business and some of these cars blow my mind. I am spending money left and right so I can keep up!
here is my feeling on the matter:
buy the TT, buy the TT buy the TT. get the picture? why? yes the viper is awesome. can't argue with that. but the viper can be very expensive to modify, at least to me it seems. but the most important thing is this. the tt is a very reliable and well built car. the cockpit is awesome and doesn't look like my little sister put it together in shop class. it's easy to get in and out of and doesn't become 1000 degrees inside the car when the engine is running. what i'm getting at is it is more of an everyday car - not that you couldn't use the viper everyday - i wouldn't. Also the steering is very forgiving - the viper is more "hands on". the only thing you wont get with the tt is the looks and comments. When you roll down the street people know it. that's great!
I am actually in the market to buy another tt - I miss it a lot. It was my favorite car i've ever had or driven. My fiance also agrees and nags me to find another one!

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My WAG:

70% are bone stock.
15% are lightly modified (trim stuff, cat-back, K&N's, smoothies, etc.).
10% are moderately modified (some/all of the above plus wheels, roller rockers, headers, throttle bodies, splitters, wings, etc.).
4% are heavily modified either independently or through a tuner. These are vehicles that are set-up for road racing, drag racing, auto-x, etc.
1% are pure race vehicles that are never driven on the street.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
[/list]

Dion Fisher

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok I haven't looked at the actual sales and shouldn't be suprised that it leaned toward a more mature crowd.. Up in this nick of the woods theres plenty of the younger folk with Vipers and other exotics....

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2000 would fit into the "heavily modified" category including the Venom 650 mods and all the stuff Jason Heffner has done for me (the latest being the Roe Racing Suspension upgrade--Wow!).

But if you think upgrading or modifying Vipers is expensive, try modifying a Harley. I have two performance modified Harleys and actually was surprised how "cheap" some of the Viper modifications have been.

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2000 would fit into the "heavily modified" category including the Venom 650 mods and all the stuff Jason Heffner has done for me (the latest being the Roe Racing Suspension upgrade--Wow!).

But if you think upgrading or modifying Vipers is expensive, try modifying a Harley. I have two performance modified Harleys and actually was surprised how "cheap" some of the Viper modifications have been.

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Soon2Be

Just a quick comment. Before my car became a Venom 650R it was basically stock. I raced SEVERAL BPU Supras from a Roll. They were always a bit slower. I only comment because I have experience to know that light modifications to the Mark IV will not make you competitive. You will need at least 450 to the tires.

Text from Supra Forum. Question was how to get to 450RWHP:

Steve Theodore
Czar
Member # 93
Member Rated:

posted June 21, 2001 10:56 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------

Dion Fisher

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Demographics and use of census is a great marketing tool but in the Viper's case it all became moot when they put out such a beautiful car..

I for one am a younger not so rich person with 4 wonderful children whom just works hard and makes things happen, one of my more fun (selfish) happenings was the purchase of a GTS 4 years ago.

The mods started as soon as the tires hit the garage floor
smile.gif

Steve Theodore

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see that I actually made it into this post (one way or another). ;)

If anyone has any specific questions about MKIV Supras or their potential, I'd be happy to answer them for you. Vipers and Supras are both awesome cars...the difference is that Vipers roll off the assembly line already there, while the MKIV has to be "woken up" with aftermarket parts and upgraded turbo kits.
smile.gif

Steve

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth