OFFICIAL SRT-10 POLL!!! THUMBS UP or THUMBS DOWN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shifter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The performance seemingly rocks, the interior is more comfy, but overall the styling makes it blend in too much for me. I don't buy sports cars only for their looks, performance is important, but the balance here is too uneven to spend that amount of money on it. I'd invest some of the difference in money on my Viper and have my dream car.

Thumbs down.

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you shifter for your contribution to the poll. More importantly for your comments! Your opinions matter!

With your voice, the poll stands at 167-35 AGAINST the SRT-10. Please tell a friend to vote!

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for your contribution to the poll MULLINS5! Your opinion definitely matters!

With your vote, the poll stands at 168-35 AGAINST the SRT-10. Please tell a friend to vote!

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have read every single thread on this topic and truly hope that DC brass reads this as well. Too late for this model, but this type of unreserved comments usually come at a huge cost to the marketing guru's, and here it's free, lap it up DC, from mostly owners that have the means the purchase the new car if we want it, a truly rare market segment I would think.......

Great thread,

John Moore

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, I'll have to go along with the general consensus here. The very reason I got a Viper in the first place is missing. It's not that it was better looking than any other manufacturer's feeble attempt at designing cars, it's because it was emotionally stirring. It shocked, it scared, it threw necks out, it drew crowds everywhere it went. The SRT ain't gonna do that. It's gonna get "Oh look, that must be the new Viper. What do you think?" A Viper is supposed to get "Stop the car! Turn around! I just saw the New Viper! Isn't that the most incredible looking car you've ever seen. Look at how mean and sleek that thing looks. It looks even "meaner" and more powerful than the "old" Viper." The Competition Coupe is much closer to this reaction than the SRT is. It wouldn't take much to achieve this in the SRT as I've already seen some good and clever attempts at enhancing some of the true and distinctly trademark features of the original design. I have to go thumbs down until the designers bring back the original intent.... the most intimidating, show stopping beast on the planet. What's so hard about that?

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trey, you are doing a great job on this poll. Think about another one. I think your poll would be even more valid if you address some more details. One in particular is, for those who could or would purchase a SRT/10? Getting opinions from people who are not in a position to purchase either another Viper, or replace an existing one, would greatly affect results. If you decide to do that poll, then please consider another. The other should be to those who do not own a current Viper. Those facts would be very interesting?

Based on what I have taken out of your poll (and assuming that all responses are by Viper owners) I get the feeling that the SRT/10 is geared for- NEW owners, capturing a LARGER segment of the sports car market, while RETAINING the existing owners in the vehicle they STILL love and admire so adamantly. If this was the strategy, then it looks successful. If it wasn't, and many of you will not be enthralled by a superior performance vehicle, then I guess it failed? I guess I should be happy that I actually prefer the looks of the SRT/10 to my RT/10, lucky me.

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can't tweak performance and styling. This is not a kit car. Either you like it or you don't.

Steve you are right they got what they wanted, alienated their faithful Viper owners. Hunh run that by us one more time.
supergrin.gif

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Michael, I am just trying to gage the results. For all we know, this could have been the strategy? It is something we will never know.

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to thank John Moore, John ACR, mrmenuck, & KFMSLM for taking the time to contribute to the SRT-10 Poll! Your vote & opinions definitely have been noted & count!!

With your voice, the Official Poll stands at 171-36 AGAINST the SRT-10. Please tell a friend to vote!

ParB

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think the SRT has lost some of the "viper magic". To me it is bland, and it doesn't entice me. I won't buy an SRT as long as it looks like this, i'm considering italian horsepower for my next car. I know people say "look at the specs", well you know i appreciate performance, but it by itself isn't enough to entice me. I find it ugly...

I'll rather have the looks AND the performance.

-Par

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice numbers, but not that good for 10 years of refinement. Plus the new "style" is not exotic enough for my taste. Big thumbs down!!!

BIRD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the SRT were the only viper on the market I would buy one. I pick up my GTS Thursday, So I vote thumbs down.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
My heart really goes out to all those who worked on the SRT. It certainly is an improvement over the GTS in several signifigant areas. Its faster, handles better, is a real convertible, has wider tires for better 60 foot times, is cheaper to repair if it gets in an accident...

But-

It does not "grab" me by the throat and scream

<FONT size="6">"I am a CRAZY machine!"</FONT s>

like the GTS did when I first saw it.

The restyling attempt now seen in the SRT is blase'. Its too generic looking now. It lost its balls! Fast or not, its just lost its balls....

The original RT10 and GTS absolutely thrilled me, 'cause they are so bold and wild looking, plus they are fast.

I suppose its a good car for someone who wasn't around to buy the classic icon that the "old" Viper is. Its good enough for the new kids on the block.

Sadly, I must vote thumbs down. My apologies to DC. Good luck.

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to thank the following gentlemen for their contribution to the poll. Your comments & vote's were invaluable! Especially Vic Rough!

ACELLR8, ParB, JF58854777, BIRD, & Vic Rough!

With your voice, the poll stands at 175-37 AGAINST the SRT-10. Please tell a friend to vote!

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Ferguson:

Based on what I have taken out of your poll (and assuming that all responses are by Viper owners) I get the feeling that the SRT/10 is geared for- NEW owners, capturing a LARGER segment of the sports car market, while RETAINING the existing owners in the vehicle they STILL love and admire so adamantly. If this was the strategy, then it looks successful. If it wasn't, and many of you will not be enthralled by a superior performance vehicle, then I guess it failed? I guess I should be happy that I actually prefer the looks of the SRT/10 to my RT/10, lucky me.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looking for a rainbow in the middle of a ************* means you have swallowed the corporate BS - hook, line and sinker.

I don't see how you can smile and keep up your unrealistic optimism, Steve. More power to you.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT-10, I do not like the design at all... Too generic, equally uninterresting as a C-5. (Sorry...but it just is not for me)

If I would be in market for a new one, I would like to get a 2002. Maybe the yellow/black bumble bee one....

Lauri
and my 2cents

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to thank Lauri (RedEnuf93) for her contribution to the SRT-10 Poll! Your voice definitely matters & will be heard!

With your vote, the poll stands at 176-37 AGAINST the SRT-10. Please tell a friend to vote!

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
BUMP
When are all the sold out cert holders going to cast their thumbs up votes? I guess they are just $ speculating and really don't like it or they would be passionate enough about it to vote. All SRT exercised cert holders please do not contact me to sell your SRT. FYI, I already voted thumbs down.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have already chimed in so don't count me again. However, I have found that perhaps the best indication that the new Viper doesen't cut it is the reaction from the younger crowd. Anyone who has owned a Viper (I've had 2) , knows that the 10-18+ crowd goes nuts over the Gen 1s and 2s. I have lost track of how many kids have asked for rides, photograghed the cars, hung their heads and arms out doing the "we're not worthy " routine. But, when I bring up the SRT , there is little or no interest from my 12 yr old or the other kids I know. The 1 or 2 times I brought up getting one it was, "dad, c'mon , it looks like a Camaro", etc, "get a (dare I say it) Z vette". I guess most of us are kids at heart and it looks like we are having a similar reaction.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Dean, for me PERSONALLY, the srt/10 is faster and better looking. Hey have I ever attached you for preferring your GTS to your RT/10? How come your preference means something and mine has no credibility? Never expected that out of someone I actually respected.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess that age thing explains why so many are disappointed. Now those guys will have to start dating someone of a legal age! Must be us poor married folks who like it?

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Ferguson:
I guess that age thing explains why so many are disappointed. Now those guys will have to start dating someone of a legal age! Must be us poor married folks who like it?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Married now to the same girl for 22 years! I know what I like and it's not the SRT.

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, this poll generated a lot of interest.

I do not like the SRT-10 styling. The performance numbers sound good, so I'll take delivery of mine and see if it grows on me. But if not, I'm dumping it.

Hugo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that all vipers are beautiful, I have 1999 R/T10 silver wyh blue stripes,I live in the suburbs of DC and there are many of them around you probably see one once a week I'm also a certificate holder and I fell in love with the SRT-10 I think i'ts the most beautiful car I have ever seen specialy when the stripes are painted on it Just like on the competition coupe. I'm shure that when it comes out all the negativeness will go away when people get used to change I just wish I was the first person to get my silver SRT-10 and I can tell you guys that I'm not selling it

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Venom Lover:
Wow, this poll generated a lot of interest.

I do not like the SRT-10 styling. The performance numbers sound good, so I'll take delivery of mine and see if it grows on me. But if not, I'm dumping it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't believe this can be counted as a negative post...
laugh.gif

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a search on the SRT pricing and noticed that many of the Cert holders were finding dealers willing to sell at close to invoice! If the car is so hot, why aren't the dealers getting over sticker for them??
Seems they already know that DC has let the torch burn out, and they are trying to move some iron(aluminum/composite) before the initial "first kid on the block" frenzy turns to dust. It will be fun to look back at this thread in a year or so
smile.gif

Oh yeah, I already voted NO!

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to than the following gentlemen for their contribution to the Poll. Hugo, Venom Lover, 1bad gts, billdoon, & Hotwax.
Your vote definitely counts & your opinions will be heard!

With your voice, the poll stands at 180-38 AGAINST the SRT-10. Please tell a friend to vote!

Status
Not open for further replies.