@@@ OFFICIAL VOI-10 CARAVAN THREAD - Tuesday Aug. 26th @@@

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JOURNEY TO DETROIT

If you are either personally trailering or driving your Viper from the VA/MD/DE area to Detroit, and you are planning on making the journey on Tuesday the 26th, this thread is for you!

I've been talking with Dimitrios from the NY/CT club to arrange for folks travelling out of that region to meet up with us just inside Ohio on the 80W turnpike.

How it works

We'll be departing from the park 'n' ride in Frederick (departure point for the famous Western MD cruise) at around 8 AM. That will put us at a rest-stop on I-80 just west of Youngstown, OH around 1:00 PM, in time to meet up with the NY/CT group. From there, we'll proceed on en masse for the remaining 4 hours to Detroit.

If you are interested in joining this caravan, please post in this thread!

Things to think about bringing:

• A basic tool kit
  • 2-way radios (Motorola handhelds or equivalent)
  • A GPS unit or maps
  • Cash/change for tolls
  • Car wash / detailing supplies
I'm surely missing things, so post 'em up and I'll add them to the list here.

WHO'S READY FOR VOI-10!!!!!!

SO FAR WE HAVE:

From VA/MD:
kcobean (Kelly)
ACR Jim (Jim)
deke01 (Dan)
zoomie (Mark)

Sync-up in Ohio:
01sapphirebob (From Ohio)
Dimitrios (NY/CT)
bluequadcab (NY/CT)
ViperTony (NY/CT)
93VIPERBOY (NY/CT)
Viper Wizard (NY/CT)

Last edited:

ACR Jim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kelly,

Thanks for heading this up. That sounds like a good plan, resonable start time for everyone and good target for an arrival time.

I'd suggest that once we have everyone identified you collect cells on a list to be distributed the day before and/or onsite as well as deciding what our "channel" will be on the 2 ways so that others will be on the same frequency.

To respond to your other question in the other post, that speed should work ok, although some of the hills will be slower. If I fall back a bit I'm sure we will reconnect. Since I'll have the trailer, I will have the luxury of having a floor jack and plenty of tools.

It's getting close and I'm excited already!

Jim

OP
OP
K

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kelly,

Thanks for heading this up. That sounds like a good plan, resonable start time for everyone and good target for an arrival time.

I'd suggest that once we have everyone identified you collect cells on a list to be distributed the day before and/or onsite as well as deciding what our "channel" will be on the 2 ways so that others will be on the same frequency.

To respond to your other question in the other post, that speed should work ok, although some of the hills will be slower. If I fall back a bit I'm sure we will reconnect. Since I'll have the trailer, I will have the luxury of having a floor jack and plenty of tools.

It's getting close and I'm excited already!

Jim

That's a GREAT idea Jim.

I did a long-distance caravan like this with the NissanZ club a few years back and we actually had everyone fill out a simple 'caravan form' so they could provide contact info and an emergency contact name/number in the event of something bad happening. We'll do the same this time for sure.

That's AWESOME that we'll have a traveling tool chest with us, just in case! I have a spare tire, but my car didn't come with the factory jack, so I was thinking about throwing my race jack in the trunk...

DEKE01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Kelly - since it will be a work day, do you think that park-n-ride lot will be full? When we met there for the Fall cruise, it was a Saturday and commuters were not an issue. Maybe since it's a week many will be on vacation, there won't be a problem. But if the place is packed and and we're arriving about 0730, blocking up the lanes while grumpy commuters try to park, it might get difficult.

Maybe someone who lives near there can check it out and see how full it is on a Tuesday AM.

OP
OP
K

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kelly - since it will be a work day, do you think that park-n-ride lot will be full? When we met there for the Fall cruise, it was a Saturday and commuters were not an issue. Maybe since it's a week many will be on vacation, there won't be a problem. But if the place is packed and and we're arriving about 0730, blocking up the lanes while grumpy commuters try to park, it might get difficult.

Maybe someone who lives near there can check it out and see how full it is on a Tuesday AM.

You're absolutely right, that completely escaped me, I'm used to being out there on a weekend. I'm trying to pick someplace that's "downstream" from all of us so that nobody is having to backtrack too far to get to the meeting point....I'll check the map for something more conducive to gathering. Thanks for pointing that out!

zoomie

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
All sounds great, good to hear from everyone. I have a couple of 22 channel GSM radios. I live about 30 miles from that park n ride.. will try and get a check of that during a weekday morning.
Anyone from VCA who knows who all is registered from Va/Md.. and is driving ?

OP
OP
K

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Zoom! I don't know if there is a comprehensive list of who is registered from what region and/or who is driving. Was kind of hoping that's what this thread would be for. :D

You gonna caravan with us?

ETA, I have a set of the nice motorola radios as well...actually have the FCC Operators license for them....imagine that!

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can swing by that Park and Ride and see how crowded it is, there is another one a few miles up the road which has a lot more spaces. I will get back to you guys.

zoomie

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Yes, will be joining the caravan!
Anyone coming to this Saturday's lunch at 2pm in Eldersburg Chili's ?
We can discuss further there as well.

ACR Jim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I had a meeting in Frederick today and checked out the situation. As long as we use the Park & Ride Lot for "cars only" not the one where the bus turn-around is we should be fine.

The is Exit #26 off of I-270 which is the Route 80 Urbanna exit whether you are headed North or South on 270.

Coming FROM the South you will turn LEFT at the end of the ramp and take your first LEFT onto Urbanna Church Rd which leads you over to the "Cars Only" lot.

Coming FROM the North turn RIGHT at the end of the ramp, go through the light and turn LEFT at the median opening looking for signs for the Park and Ride "Cars Only" lot.

There were quite a few open spots today when I visited at lunch time so this will work well. It is very easy on and off the Interstate and there is an Exxon station that is adjacent to the lot so everyone can leave there with a full tank. Additionally just past the turn onto Urbanna Church Rd, there is a 7-11, Waffle House and 1/4 mile further up Route 80 off the traffic circle is a McDonald's.

Are we ready to roll? :drive::headbang:

I hope we get some additional folks confirming that they will be joining us from this point.

PS-sorry I can't join you at the lunch Sat as I already have plans

Jim

OP
OP
K

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim,
I think you may be talking about a different commuter lot than the one we use for the Western MD cruise. The one we used is off of Route 75 East in New Market, MD, exit 62. I guess New Market is a Frederick suburb? It's a pretty small lot, but enough to hold 25 or so Vipers on a Saturday morning.

I'll locate it on mapquest and provide a link here in a few.

ACR Jim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kelly,

Ok I did misunderstand-but I would think that the one I referred to would be preferable for a few reasons;

The New Market lot is only 54 spaces vs 394 between the adjacent Urbanna lots
The New Market lot requires anyone coming from the South to backtrack 9 miles on 70 vs what I suspect may be the minority going South on 270 for 6 miles
The Urbanna lot appears to be easier on/off but that may not be significant
Urbanna has a gas station adjacent to it-does New Market?

Just some thoughts-I checked out the one that I thought was being referred to and it did look like a winner...

Jim

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be joiningyou guys for the caravan as well. gonna meet up at the rest stop between exit 209 and 193 on the ohio turnpike in ohio. :)

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kelly,

Ok I did misunderstand-but I would think that the one I referred to would be preferable for a few reasons;

The New Market lot is only 54 spaces vs 394 between the adjacent Urbanna lots
The New Market lot requires anyone coming from the South to backtrack 9 miles on 70 vs what I suspect may be the minority going South on 270 for 6 miles
The Urbanna lot appears to be easier on/off but that may not be significant
Urbanna has a gas station adjacent to it-does New Market?

Just some thoughts-I checked out the one that I thought was being referred to and it did look like a winner...

Jim

Jim,

I was actually considering the recommendation to change to Urbana as well, however the one problem with those Park and Rides will be the traffic in the area on a weekday morning from 6:30 to 9:00 AM, it's pretty heavy. There is another Park and Ride off of 70 that will only require about 2 to 3 miles of backtracking, has a lot of space and nowhere near the traffic volume.

OP
OP
K

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you guys for doing this legwork. So it sounds like perhaps John has a 'best of both worlds' option for us? John, can you maybe send me some more specifics on that location?

Also, I've updated the initial post in this thread with a list of people who have responded so far.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright, I was able to do some recon this afternoon and took some cell phone pics.

The Park and Ride in New Market is out. The lot was full and there was overflow parking out on the road. Here is a pic of the New Market Park and Ride.

New_Market_Park_and_Ride.jpg

(I will be making multiple posts after the freakin server lost the masterpiece I had created over a 10 minute period).

Not only was this lost full (the one space that appears open has a motorcycle in it), there was overflow parking out on the road. This Park and Ride will not work.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
However, the car lot, which would be to my left in the picture above, had 20 to 30 spaces open in the back of the lot. Again, my concern with this lot is the amount of congestion/ traffic that will be moving through this area at 8:00 AM. You have to make a left turn onto a road which will lead you to the Exxon and Park and Ride, making this left turn with two oncoming lanes, with heavy traffic will be risky.

Urbana_Park_and_Ride_2.jpg

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The other Park and Ride is off of I-70 and is the Route 144/Patrick Street Exit (Exit 56). It is a 2.8 mile detour off of I-1270/I70 interchange but has plenty of parking, congestion will not be as bad. The Urbana Park and Ride would be more of a detour for those headed from Baltimore. There are also two gas stations and about 4 fast food chains about 3/4 mile away. The two gas stations are Citgo and Sheetz. In the event you prefer Exxon, pass the Park and Ride and in about one mile you will see and Exxon on your left (Spring Ride Parkway) up on a hill. This park and ride is a good size and had a whole area that was open (see pic), there is actually more parking spaces behind me (other side) but they had more cars. I have used this one in the past and this area where the road dead ends is often open. The only time I have seen it full is when the Boy Scouts run a soap box derby on the other side of the Jersey Walls (that happens only on an occasional weekend.

Patrick_Street_Park_and_Ride.jpg

ACR Jim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John,

Thanks for the additional recon-you have me beat with the pics in your reports! From the picture I only have one concern which is related to Bernie and I who will be towing-can we get turned around there. I looked at a aerial image, and it apears that there is a way in and out on the opposite end and the picture you took was at the far end where there are barriers.

This site looks like a pretty good solution! Thanks, Jim

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim,

You can barely see it on the pavement, but there is actually some arrows making it one way. Right before the barriers is a left turn that leads you back to another road which runs parrallel to the direction I am facing in the photo. There is a little bit of a dip in the road, but don't foresee a problem. If the weather cooperates I may ride up there in the Viper and give it a whirl to see if I scrape. I'd rather scrape then have a bunch of Vipers scraping Tuesday morning.

John

OP
OP
K

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is awesome John......so it looks like that's our best option. Bernie had a question that maybe you can take a swing at....he's going to be towing a 48 ft trailer, do you think he'll be able to enter/exit that park-n-ride with a trailer that long?

ACR Jim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bernie,

Here are the directions for you and anyone coming from Richmond area. If you plug the East Patrick St Ext Frederick, MD into mapquest or google maps you can select the aerial image and the park and ride looks like a wide street sandwiched between two roads. It looks like it should work for us I think (and John will confirm)

3.Take the exit onto I-64 E toward Richmond/I-295
You must be registered for see images
2.9 mi
4.Take exit 177 to merge onto I-295 S toward Washington/Norfolk
8.8 mi
5.Take exit 43 for I-95/US-1 toward Richmond/Washington
0.2 mi
6.Keep left at the fork, follow signs for Ashland/US-1 N
0.3 mi
7.Keep left at the fork, follow signs for I-95 N/Washington and merge onto I-95 N
85.5 mi
8.Continue on Exit 170A-B (signs for Tysons Corner/Washington/I-395 N/I-495)
0.7 mi
9.Take exit 170B to merge onto Capital Beltway/I-495 N toward Tysons Corner Entering Maryland
18.7 mi
10.Slight left at I-270-SPUR N (signs for Rockville/I-270/Frederick)
2.0 mi
11.Merge onto I-270 N
29.1 mi
12.Take exit 32 to merge onto I-70 E toward Baltimore
2.8 mi
13.Take exit 56 for MD-144 E
0.1 mi
14.Turn left at MD-144