Oil leak Help

netapp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was getting the car ready for the voi trip and was using the small air compressor to get the tire pressures to where they need to be. So I turned the key on to the ignition / start, I heard a small humming noise around the radiator area, thought it was normal when you turn the key on so didn't think nothing of it. I moved the car and there was a small puddle of what looked to be oil but was clear (I did just change the oil out a week or so ago). I looked under the car and noticed the cover that is under the radiator that attaches to the front bumper had a coulple of drips of the oil substance on it. So it looks like it is coming from under the radiator area. I let the car idle for 10 minutes and nothing was leaking. Any ideas

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you touch,smell,taste this clear "oil" ?

How long was she sitting since the last drive?

When is the last time you washed her?

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What year is the car? 03-06's had a hydraulically operated radiator fan. The hoses do leak from time to time. The OE Power steering fluid is clear...

OP
OP
N

netapp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
06 with paxton. it had a sweet taste, just drove it yesterday. Mostly clear, I had some paint work done on it and they did wash it, but it wasn't water. I put it on the lift and took the cover off and still couldn't see much. I seen a small drip below the mounting tab for the smaller radiator which is located right in front of the larger radiator.

What turns on and sounds like a small electric pump in front of the car when the ignition switch is turned on?

I did not see a leak at the typical leak point for the power stearing, as I had fixed that in the past.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Check your PS lines at the fan motor for a possible source. PS and brake fluids are the only "clear" fluids with potential leak sources in the general engine bay area.

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A/C compressor oil could be clear-ish... is the A/C still functioning? (A hole in the condensor could drain out some oil but the refrigerant would be completely gone.) After 2003 the power steering (and fan) fluid is ATF+4, which is dyed red, typically.

Thom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What turns on and sounds like a small electric pump in front of the car when the ignition switch is turned on?

The Antiskid Braking System module (contains pump, I think) is located at the left front corner of the car. The sound you are hearing when the key is turned on is probably the ABS going through its initial self-test when first powered up.

The oil cooler is located in front of the radiator, and its hoses are known to leak.

OP
OP
N

netapp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AC seemed to blow cold but did act kinda funny. I took it for a quick cruise to town and it did not seem to leak after I returned. Anyways, car is packed and leaving town at 4am tomorrow for VOI. Hopefully all is well with it, or atleast get me to NC and back. Thanks for the replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang