Oil Spray in the front of the motor

1 Bad Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am having a little work done on my car (detailing) and when I opened the hood, I noticed that my painted "sneaky pete" had some oil spray on the hood pad. Further investigation found oil on the front frame member, air box ect.. I know this has not been happening for long as I detail the engine compartment once a month and I have not noticed it before. I dove in as far as I could to see if there was oil dripping, but no luck, Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas to look for? I really wan't to have some ideas for the Viper tech to track down.

Thanks,

Dan

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
it could be a number of things.

I think the most common is the timing chain cover leaking.
Or it could be the PCV piping cracked.

My timig chain cover would leak only when driving it. If you let it idle...it wouldn't leak. I took some small rags and put it in the suspected area then drove it. I would pull the rags out and where it was soak in oil...it gave me an idea where to look for it. Becareful doing the rags because you don't want it pulled into your belts or worse yet..falling on your exhaust manifold and catching fire. make sue they are in there snug.

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Dan,

Sounds like it's time to move up to a GTS!! Now that your car is back from the radiator shop I'd be happy to buy it from ya, for say - $22k-$25k
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oil cover / gaskets? I had oil leakage, spots on the garage floor, and it was due to gaskets...

OP
OP

1 Bad Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you all for the advice (except for Kurt "S.A.")
bounce.gif
bounce.gif
, I suspected it might be one or a combination of the things mentioned. I really appreciate all the help and advice I get on the board from time to time. Anyone that doesn't believe the hundred bucks is worth that is crazy.